PDA

View Full Version : Medina gets same percentage of vote as Paul did in 1984

brandon
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
17%

Have we really made progress? Is this an achievement?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mfsoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jeEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3582,1413437&dq=texas+1984+senate+republican+primary+results+ro n+paul&hl=en

(this article wasn't easy to find)

Flash
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
You know before the primary I had a funny feeling this would happen. I think without the Beck incident she would've had at least another 5 points.

Stary Hickory
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Votes all tallied?

catdd
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
sucks

brandon
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Votes all tallied?

nah but she's going to finish pretty close to 17%

malkusm
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
"...while Rep. Ron Paul had 47,742, or 17 percent."

Medina's sitting at over 108,000 votes right now. Unless you can show me that the population of Texas has increased by 2.5 times since 1984, then yes, I contend that we have made progress (especially considering that Medina was going against an incumbent as well as a Senator, whereas Paul ran against no other candidate that had won a statewide race before -- plus, Paul already held office in the House, whereas Medina was a nobody).

freedoms-light
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
You know before the primary I had a funny feeling this would happen. I think without the Beck incident she would've had at least another 5 points.

She was polling at 20-24 percent before the Beck interview.
This Glen Beck 911 shuffle followed by another interviewer getting you to diss the truthers is going to become a central part of the neocon election playbook.
Perry is probably french-kissing Beck right now.

brandon
03-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Since 1984 the population has grown by about 70%.

But I see your point.

malkusm
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Since 1984 the population has grown by about 70%.

Ok, so you still haven't accounted for the remaining 180% increase in votes, plus handicapped her for the fact that she's never held office (whereas Paul had) and is running against two "statewide" office holders to Paul's zero.

Edit: Saw your edit after posting, but will leave this here to emphasize my point.

Chieftain1776
03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
17%

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=mfsoAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jeEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3582,1413437&dq=texas+1984+senate+republican+primary+results+ro n+paul&hl=en

(this article wasn't easy to find)

I'd say progress was made. Kay Bailey is a sitting Senator challenging a sitting governor. Those are probably the two most powerful Republican machines in the country. Medina challenged both and if she was gaffe free probably would have gotten a quarter of the vote.

Gramm was an easier target back then.

brandon
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Nitpicking here, but the vote tally from the article I linked to was based on only 77% of precincts reporting.

Stary Hickory
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Well lets see what happens. I liked Medina's views after she explained herself on the 9/11 deal. But she never came across as personable when I heard her speak. Not that I would change my vote based on this, but I know many others who would. She should try again, see what happens. Many times it takes multiple attempts to really make it.

She has name recognition now. She can do something else or try again. It's going to positive no matter which way you look at it.

brandon
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Well lets see what happens. I liked Medina's views after she explained herself on the 9/11 deal. But she never came across as personable when I heard her speak. Not that I would change my vote based on this, but I know many others who would. She should try again, see what happens. Many times it takes multiple attempts to really make it.

She has name recognition now. She can do something else or try again. It's going to positive no matter which way you look at it.

I think she should start positioning herself to run for Paul's seat after he retires.

cindy25
03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
she should have run for Lt Gov; better chance of winning, and many govs die, resign or are promoted to a cabinet

V4Vendetta
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
youguys are forgetting one thing. Harris County (the biggest county in the state) has the electronic E-Slate voting machine. So do several other counties in Texas. And in almost every election for the past decade where electronic voting machines were used, the winner always wins by 1-2 percentage points. And no one seems to notice this crap. So it is guaranteed now that Perry will be in the run-off what a crock of SHIT

Stary Hickory
03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
youguys are forgetting one thing. Harris County (the biggest county in the state) has the electronic E-Slate voting machine. So do several other counties in Texas. And in almost every election for the past decade where electronic voting machines were used, the winner always wins by 1-2 percentage points. And no one seems to notice this crap. So it is guaranteed now that Perry will be in the run-off what a crock of SHIT

Perry was never going to lose. I could tell from the start. Watching one debate. But I can also say that I think Rand Paul has a shot at POTUS. So it's not all lose.

TCE
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Perry is going to win, 'nuff said. I highly doubt there is any conspiracy here. Debra was in 3rd place for all of the polls and she is going to finish in 3rd tonight. Nothing shocking about that.

As for making progress, if we don't win, we make no progress. While Perry is busy governing from 2011-2015, do you think he cares that Medina got 17% of the vote? Nope.

Here are our choices: Win or Fail.

There is no prize for second, and definitely not third place in politics.

AlexMerced
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Perry is going to win, 'nuff said. I highly doubt there is any conspiracy here. Debra was in 3rd place for all of the polls and she is going to finish in 3rd tonight. Nothing shocking about that.

As for making progress, if we don't win, we make no progress. While Perry is busy governing from 2011-2015, do you think he cares that Medina got 17% of the vote? Nope.

Here are our choices: Win or Fail.

There is no prize for second, and definitely not third place in politics.

Winning doesn't mean taking political seats, it's about educating people, the people in government don't change till people change, and to think that Media got 17% is more than I ever expected considering it's her first time out.

She got out, she spread the word of liberty, even if a few hundred people joined the movement cause of her campaign, we have won.

TCE
03-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Winning doesn't mean taking political seats, it's about educating people, the people in government don't change till people change, and to think that Media got 17% is more than I ever expected considering it's her first time out.

She got out, she spread the word of liberty, even if a few hundred people joined the movement cause of her campaign, we have won.

There is a huge difference between someone being educated and someone checking a name because it sounds cool. I highly doubt we'll get 100 people to join the cause of liberty from Medina's campaign. It is win or bust for me.

Imperial
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
In that 1984 election there were only two candidates... so there were more votes to spread around. And Paul was a sitting congressman... Medina wasn't really a prominent candidate.

payme_rick
03-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure over 100 people are MORE-likely to join the cause of liberty via Medina's campaign... I'll give you over 1,000...

fact is many people were on a fence from the get-go... having those fencers see there ISSSS a TRUE alternative to the same-'ole republicans is by no means a negative IMO...

Did we win the primary? No... which means we will not win the election...

are there more primaries and elections in the future? Yes...

kill yourself over the battle we lost, I won't hold you back... but this is a war, my friend...

I see things turning, you see things staying the same...

If someone were to ask me how I thought a primary would turned out 8 years ago with Medina, Hutch and Scerry running, I don't think it would have been anywhere close to what it will end up being when we scan the paper in the morning... does that mean we've won? No! yet it doesn't mean we've failed... it means we are moving forward... let's quicken the pace and shorten the path...

TCE
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure over 100 people are MORE-likely to join the cause of liberty via Medina's campaign... I'll give you over 1,000...

fact is many people were on a fence from the get-go... having those fencers see there ISSSS a TRUE alternative to the same-'ole republicans is by no means a negative IMO...

Did we win the primary? No... which means we will not win the election...

are there more primaries and elections in the future? Yes...

kill yourself over the battle we lost, I won't hold you back... but this is a war, my friend...

I see things turning, you see things staying the same...

If someone were to ask me how I thought a primary would turned out 8 years ago with Medina, Hutch and Scerry running, I don't think it would have been anywhere close to what it will end up being when we scan the paper in the morning... does that mean we've won? No! yet it doesn't mean we've failed... it means we are moving forward... let's quicken the pace and shorten the path...

That remains to be seen. A very high percentage will go back to their lives and not care anymore.

I'm not going to kill myself over this, but we need to focus on the victories and not the defeats. If we keep losing, we have nothing to build on. I will be focusing much more on Dr. Paul's victory tonight and tmosley's and others capturing of Precinct Convention Chairs than Medina's loss.

Getting everyone all excited about a win every time and falling short is pretty bad for morale.

payme_rick
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
but we need to focus on the victories and not the defeats. .

who here is focussing or suggesting that we focus on defeats? what we're focussing on are the numbers... I think though the numbers show Medina failed to get into a runoff, they do show how far a no-name liberty candidate can get against a 10-year incumbent and a 17-year senator... I think it's a direct reflection of the "growing" number of Texans (and Americans in general) who are getting just a tad pissed...

Win? No! Fail? No... positive trend? You're a little too wrapped up in the pessimism if you dismiss it...

AJ Antimony
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
17%

You seem to be suggesting that because both Medina in 2010 and Paul in 1984 got 17% in a statewide election, there has been no progress.

You are wrong because these are completely different elections. Your suggestion would only be feasible if Paul and Gramm faced off again. But since this is a different election with different people, then your question become totally irrelevant.

Medina had a VERY IMPRESSIVE campaign. Shit, she came in with 0 name recognition, 0 money, and somehow became a viable third option in between the biggest Republicans in the state of Texas. I applaud her efforts and don't care that she didn't win. Her effort was remarkable.

Something tells me she will run again. With better name recognition, better fundraising, and not having to take on the biggest Republicans in Texas, her next election should be the one to win.

doctor jones
03-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Someone should suggest to the Medina campaign that they write a press release
saying her base is going to push for a referendum to eliminate property tax. This way it shows she's not running for her own ego but for the sake of these issues.

The base is riled up still, and in order to keep momentum we need to have the Medina volunteers start pushing for a state wide referendum to eliminate property tax, please pass it along to the Medina camp someone.

It will be like what HR 1207 did to keep the C4L base active to TX.

constituent
03-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Unless you can show me that the population of Texas has increased by 2.5 times since 1984,

2.5 might be cutting it close, but it wouldn't shock me any.

1200 new people move to Austin every week, and it has been this way for years!

Never mind the great rustbelt migration of the 1980s and the yuppie/yankee migrations of the 90's...

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/12/24/texas-gains-most-new-residents-since-recession-began/

HOLLYWOOD
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Well, here's what the Wall Street Journal writers have to day about Medina's results:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703807904575097400551012476.html?m od=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsForth

Mrs. Medina, a nurse from south Texas who favors replacing property taxes with sales taxes, burst into the statewide political scene through her strong performances at two debates. But she fumbled a question about whether the federal government was involved in the 9/11 attacks.

She was also hampered by a small war chest, having raised less than $800,000, most of it since mid-January.
By LESLIE EATON (http://online.wsj.com/search/search_center.html?KEYWORDS=LESLIE+EATON&ARTICLESEARCHQUERY_PARSER=bylineAND) And ANA CAMPOY (http://online.wsj.com/search/search_center.html?KEYWORDS=ANA+CAMPOY&ARTICLESEARCHQUERY_PARSER=bylineAND)

DALLAS—Texas Gov. Rick Perry rode a wave of anti-Washington sentiment to victory Tuesday in the hard-fought Republican gubernatorial primary, beating U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.
Notching what he described as a victory for American conservatism, Mr. Perry also avoided an expensive and time-consuming runoff. Ms. Hutchison conceded when it appeared almost certain he would get more than half the vote.
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-HS645_perry0_DV_20100302230431.jpg
Associated Press Texas Gov. Rick Perry shakes hands after a

Texas Independence Day ceremony at the

Military Entrance Processing Station in Dallas on Tuesday.
Earlier

Independents Cloud Texas Contest (http://online.wsj.com/article/i1-SB10001424052748703807904575097400551012476)

With nearly all of the state's more than 8,000 precincts reporting, Mr. Perry had 51%, while Ms. Hutchison had 31%.

Nearly one in five voters cast ballots for newcomer Debra Medina, a favorite of Tea Party activists, in a race that drew national attention as a referendum on the direction of the Republican Party.

As personified by Mr. Perry, the party's future would stress economic growth and independence from Washington—he accuses agencies from the Education Department to the Environmental Protection Agency of treading on Texas's toes. Though Texas traditionally prizes independence from the federal government, Mr. Perry also tapped into surging anti-incumbent fervor here, despite the fact that he has been governor since 2000 and is seeking an unprecedented third full term.

RyanRSheets
03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
It's easy to look at this single loss and say we've regressed, but look around the country and even look at how much of a landslide victory Ron had. I think it's pretty obvious that the exact opposite is true.

Promontorium
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
17%

Our apples weighed as much as our oranges in 1984, is this progress?