PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party vs. Ron Paul

bobbyw24
03-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Tea Party conservatives are mounting an electoral challenge to the movement's hero, Ron Paul. Is the Tea Party cannibalizing its own?

Best opinion: Politico, Dallas Morning News, Hot Air

Call it "Tea Party blowback." Ron Paul, the libertarian congressman and Tea Party hero, faces challenges in Tuesday's Texas primaries from several Republicans inspired by the conservative movement's small-government ideals. The rival candidates say Paul, who ran a longshot bid for the 2008 GOP presidential nomination, isn't involved enough in his district, and that he's not effective because he doesn't like to work with other lawmakers. Paul's still a heavy favorite, but does the fact that he faces any competition at all mean that nobody's safe from the Tea Partiers' anger? (Watch a report about Ron Paul and the Tea Party movement)

This is no surprise — the Tea Party hates incumbents: Ron Paul obviously has "solid anti-establishment credentials," says Alex Isenstadt in Politico, but he's also a 10-term incumbent. Even if Tea Partiers embrace many of the same ideals as Paul, it's easy to understand why some of them think Paul "has gone Washington, abandoning his constituents as he pursues his white whale — the presidency."
"Ron Paul burned by tea party blowback"

Tea partiers aren't turning on Paul: Anti-Washington anger found its way into the Texas primaries, says Todd J. Gillman in The Dallas Morning News, but most Texas lawmakers have "sterling conservative records," so they don't have to worry. And when the general elections roll around, Republicans are confident the Tea Partiers will focus their wrath on the Democrats, whose big spending earned their ire in the first place.
"Tea Partiers"

Judging from Paul's reaction, he deserves the backlash: Ron Paul's reaction to his primary challengers was telling, says Ed Morrissey in Hot Air. He sent out an e-mail saying both parties were sending out their "attack dogs" in "my own primary." Sorry, Rep. Paul, "it's not your primary." It's the voters' primary, and saying it's yours "smacks of the same arrogance" the Democrats showed when they talked about a Kennedy seat in the Senate.
"Paul decries challenge in 'my own primary'"

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/106934/Tea_Party_vs_Ron_Paul

someperson
03-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Judging from Paul's reaction, he deserves the backlash: Ron Paul's reaction to his primary challengers was telling, says Ed Morrissey in Hot Air. He sent out an e-mail saying both parties were sending out their "attack dogs" in "my own primary." Sorry, Rep. Paul, "it's not your primary." It's the voters' primary, and saying it's yours "smacks of the same arrogance" the Democrats showed when they talked about a Kennedy seat in the Senate.
"Paul decries challenge in 'my own primary'"

http://www.theweek.com/article/index/106934/Tea_Party_vs_Ron_Paul
lol these people actually believe Dr. Paul writes those emails himself? No, they can't be that naive. It's unfortunate, too, that these individuals do not understand the concept of context in written word, as the expression, "my own primary," was used in the sentence to distinguish the primary of the Republican Party from the primaries of other parties.

Krugerrand
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
lol these people actually believe Dr. Paul writes those emails himself? No, they can't be that naive. It's unfortunate, too, that these individuals do not understand the concept of context in written word, as the expression, "my own primary," was used in the sentence to distinguish the primary of the Republican Party from the primaries of other parties.

Plus ... if that's the worst thing that somebody can put together on their opposition ... they ought not be running.