PDA

View Full Version : Forget Global Warming, the Earth's Axis has changed!

Brian4Liberty
03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100302/sc_space/chileearthquakemayhaveshorteneddaysonearth

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth

space.com Tue Mar 2, 10:00 am ET

The massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

The Earth's figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis, which it spins around once every day at a speed of about 1,000 mph (1,604 kph).

The figure axis is the axis around which the Earth's mass is balanced. It is offset from the Earth's north-south axis by about 33 feet (10 meters).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth's days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth's days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

One Earth day is about 24 hours long. Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past.

The Chile earthquake was much smaller than the Sumatran temblor, but its effects on the Earth are larger because of its location. Its epicenter was located in the Earth's mid-latitudes rather than near the equator like the Sumatran event.

The fault responsible for the 2010 Chile quake also slices through Earth at a steeper angle than the Sumatran quake's fault, NASA scientists said.

"This makes the Chile fault more effective in moving Earth's mass vertically and hence more effective in shifting Earth's figure axis," NASA officials said.

Gross said his findings are based on early data available on the Chile earthquake. As more information about its characteristics are revealed, his prediction of its effects will likely change.

MelissaWV
03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Yep this has happened before, too.

LibertarianfromGermany
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Now they just need to figure out why mankind caused this and how

Mike4Freedom
03-02-2010, 12:49 PM

It is because of gold, gold weighs a lot and puts pressure on the earths crust. So give us all your gold and we can store it in an anti-gravity chamber to save the earth.

We also ask that you pay a save earths crust tax of 5% of your income a year.

Thank you and remember, I am from the government and I am here to help.

TinCanToNA
03-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Man-made CO2 is the cause of every natural disaster. It is the indelible sin of human existence; purchase your indulgences--I mean Carbon Credits--now or forever burn in the fires of social ostracism!

puppetmaster
03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
One Earth day is about 24 hours long. Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past.

now help me out here....isn't it always summer and winter at the same time....north and south of the equator? so he is saying the earth is twisting?

TinCanToNA
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
now help me out here....isn't it always summer and winter at the same time....north and south of the equator? so he is saying the earth is twisting?
Meant for the Northern hemisphere, I'd assume. It's the only hemisphere that matters.

DapperDan
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Not mankind, it'll be the new Manbearpig...
http://reporting.journalism.ku.edu/fall08/adler-noland/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster_2.jpg

Cowlesy
03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
<resets my watch>

thx for posting

Bruno
03-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I feel 1.26 microseconds younger today

puppetmaster
03-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Yogi and Boo Boo say Jellystone Park is rumbling more than usual:eek:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/pr/yellowstone-caldera.html

Elwar
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I've been tired all day from the less sleep I got last night thanks to the time shift.

This sucks.

dgr
03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
One of the 'experts" talking about the time loss made an interesting point. There would be no effect now, but in 5 years we might start to see the effect in GPS navigation and other satlite linked , time dependent modalities. So many areas of communication have already been affected by digital transmision and the increased use of non land line communications. They may not have been sleek, but rotary phones would continue to work even when the power was off, single phase not double phase current. Now with bundle communiciations no power no anything. In this age of instant communication all you have to do to isoliate the population is cut off or interfere with the power. Yet the goverment is totally ignoring the increase cyber spying of nations like China. Last month they closed down all but 3 crucial communiciation centers , that rely on less technologicial advanced communiciations, the only ones left open sites that link the US Canada and Mexico under the SPP agreement. Remember that the digital communiciations deal left people with out dated TV's unable to get reception without a special converter. Now when goverments can communiciat and the people can't I start to get really nervous.

pcosmar
03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Can someone show me the science of this claim?
It seems backwards to me. Which is the cause and which is the effect?
It does not seem logical the a local event (earthquake) could have such an effect on the huge mass of the planet. However it does make sense that a shift in the axis could cause earthquakes, several around the globe.

SO, Which is the cause and which is the effect?

Immortal Technique
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
they will eventually come around to blaming drilling for oil as the culprit.
They will claim the oil is the lubricant for the earth and extracting it will make earthquakes get worst, i mean the recent earthquake was the largest ever recorded i believe, it must be man kinds fault seeing as how it happened during our existence, right?
Sounds crazy eh? Just as crazy as man made global warming/cooling/climate change/ect
watch and see, i put nothing past these people