PDA

View Full Version : Debate between the 2000 recount lawyers on the Citizen's United SCOTUS case

BenIsForRon
03-02-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02262010/watch3.html

This case hurts my brain. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the government having any say in political speech, yet corporations are ruthless in campaigns, and can really have a huge influence with things like commercials.

I think I agree with Bush's lawyer here. If we're going to have any laws dealing with any large group, whether corporations or unions, and campaign finance, then we need to make it much more specific, so it is not implemented in a way that disadvantages any truly concerned groups of citizens (C4L, for example).

But how can you make a law that does that? I can't think of anyway to decrease the ability of corporations to influence elections without some law that doesn't trample on individual liberty.

slothman
03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
I am against groups of people donating time or money.
I am not against a person doing so.
If a person wants to spend their own money and put up a yard sign they can do that.
If the NRA, I am not against that but it is just an example, wants to give its donations to people to buy signs then they shouldn't be able to do that.
It does seem hard though to allow the right to assymbly(sp) whilst preventing the spending of money or time.