PDA

View Full Version : Letter from my two senators excusing their votes for Bernanke

jmdrake
03-01-2010, 09:03 PM
First Bob Corker.

Dear Mr. Drake,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the confirmation of the Ben Bernanke as Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Like you, I understand the importance of having strong federal monetary policy with appropriate oversight measures, particularly during these difficult economic times. Due to the Federal Reserve's active role in attempting to stabilize our financial system, I recognize the necessity for a greater understanding of Fed's financial transactions.

As it relates to the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, I believe we need an individual who understands our complex financial markets, while at the same time can exercise unbiased monetary policy. I have had numerous conversations with Chairman Bernanke, particularly in the past several months, and I recently visited the Fed to review the documents related to AIG. Even though I have not agreed with every decision he has made, Mr. Bernanke is someone who is non-partisan, has a working knowledge of what brought about the financial crisis and the actions taken to prevent an even deeper recession.

Because he was the one who increased the size of the Fed balance sheet and has an intimate knowledge of the Federal Reserve's holdings, I believe it is important that he is the person to unwind it. In addition, the concerns about inflation are certainly well merited based on the measures the Fed has taken to address our most recent financial crisis. In my conversations with Chairman Bernanke, he made it very clear that he will use every tool at his disposal to avoid runaway inflation and get our money supply under control. That is why I supported Chairman Bernanke to be the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board during this uncertain time for the global financial system.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me as I serve you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Bob Corker
United States Senator

I'll post Lamar Alexander's next. (He sent his through the mail so I'll have to scan it in. His is worse than Corker's. At least Corker somewhat admitted there was a problem.)

amy31416
03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I feel your pain. Very similar messages from my senators.

jmdrake
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
From Lamar Alexander

Dear John,

Thanks very much for getting in touch with me and letting me know what's on your mind
regarding the confirmation of Ben Bernanke to a second term .as Chairman of the Board
of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.

Ben Bernanke was nominated to his first term as Chairman of the Federal Reserve by former President George W. Bush and sworn in on February 1, 2006. On January 28, 2010, the Senate voted to confirm Ben Bernanke for a second term as Chairman by a margin of70-30. I voted in favor of Chairman Bernanke's confirmation because we were fortunate to have him at the helm as Chairman of the Federal Reserve when our country nearly slid into a depression. While some of the Fed's actions might have been extreme, it's impossible to know what would have happened otherwise. If we avoided a depression, he certainly deserves some of the credit.

I appreciate your taking the time to let me know where you stand, and I'll be sure to keep
your comments in mind as the Federal Reserve is discussed and debated in Washington
and in Tennessee.

This ignores the fact that a) we are basically in a depression now and b) there's a good chance that the economy would be better now if the fed had done nothing!

And of course Alexander just ignores all of the possibly illegal stuff that Bernanke did with regards to AIG and BankOfAmerica by simply sweeping it under the rug of "extreme". What a tool! I wonder if I write him back and stick only to these points will I get another "form letter" or a real response?

jmdrake
03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I feel your pain. Very similar messages from my senators.

Yeah. I always get these condescending "we fell your pain...but Washington knows best" responses. The worst is from my congressman Jim Cooper. But he has a reputation for being a total jerk among his constituents from both parties. My only consolation is that someday this may help in someone's campaign who's running to unseat these jokers. Hey, do you mind posting your letters if you have them handy?

amy31416
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Yeah. I always get these condescending "we fell your pain...but Washington knows best" responses. The worst is from my congressman Jim Cooper. But he has a reputation for being a total jerk among his constituents from both parties. My only consolation is that someday this may help in someone's campaign who's running to unseat these jokers. Hey, do you mind posting your letters if you have them handy?

I will do so if I haven't deleted them out of anger. :)

jmdrake
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM
I will do so if I haven't deleted them out of anger. :)

Don't destroy the evidence! We might get to use it against these shysters someday. ;) (Seriously, I think curt letters from senators and congressmen that dismiss legitimate concerns of their constituents would be great fodder for TV campaign ads. I just wish I had kept the original letters I wrote, but I remember the gist of them.)

Matt Collins
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Senators "Bailout Bob" and "Large Government Lamar" strike again.

jmdrake
03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Bump since Corker is now trying to gut the "Audit the Fed" bill.

Matt Collins
03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Bump since Corker is now trying to gut the "Audit the Fed" bill.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=235216