PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul's 2nd attack ad: helpful or not?

Southern Man
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
YouTube - Rand Paul - Strong Defense (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnfeq0t5oho)

After viewing the above attack ad, I was wondering if it may actually be unhelpful for Paul's campaign considering that the majority of Kentuckian voters are registered Democrats (due to historical reasons) and because Clinton won Kentucky's electoral votes during both the '92 & '96 presidential elections.

Futhermore, plenty of the YouTube comments seem negative towards the ad because, according to some of them, they may have expected Paul not to resort to the very negative tone of the ads.

Thoughts?

TheTyke
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
It's great! He's here to win primary voters, not Democrats. That will come later, and it will be another election practically.

To address your other concerns, this was a very limited buy (specifically to counter Grayson's attacks,) and the people who are online are not representative of Kentucky voters. Only 44% of Kentuckians even have the internet as of 2008. Even then, it got 4.5 star rating from the audience most critical of apparent militarism.

This has been pretty much hashed out already before but... welcome to the forums. :)

KanTuck22
03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I didn't care for it a whole lot but it wasn't something that will stick that far into the general election. It will help in the primary.

There is nothing wrong with having a strong national defense, I am for a strong national defense but I think most Kentuckians agree that this policing the world crap has got to stop.

John Taylor
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I didn't care for it a whole lot but it wasn't something that will stick that far into the general election. It will help in the primary.

There is nothing wrong with having a strong national defense, I am for a strong national defense but I think most Kentuckians agree that this policing the world crap has got to stop.

Campaigning on not policing the world based on principle isn't the best way to attack it, it's the pocketbook angle... attack the deficit... and say you're pro-strong defense. Don't say anything a demagogue can twist and smear/

torchbearer
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Campaigning on not policing the world based on principle isn't the best way to attack it, it's the pocketbook angle... attack the deficit... and say you're pro-strong defense. Don't say anything a demagogue can twist and smear/

we should have a training course for our candidates.

John Taylor
03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
we should have a training course for our candidates.

Not a bad idea, I think the Campaign for Liberty is holding seminars.... basically through it comes down to political strategy. You have to know your electorate, and focus on those platform planks which will resonate most clearly with them. Hit those, hit them hard, and then play smart ball with everything else.

micahnelson
03-02-2010, 11:09 AM
oh man that was painful