PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bunning is my new hero! He gave an ABC News reporter the finger

devil21
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like he's really trying to go out with a bang! Can't wait to see what else he has up his sleeve before his term is over.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1202

One thing is quite clear: Senator Bunning is not backing down. When questioned today by ABC reporter Jonathan Karl in the hallway of the Hart Office Building, Bunning refused to answer any questions about his actions. When Karl attempted to follow him into the elevator with a cameraman in tow, Bunning yelled "Excuse me! This is a Senator's only elevator!" And to drive the point home, Karl writes, the senator "walked toward the elevator and shot the middle finger over his head."

Im trying to find video but coming up blank. Anybody got it?

Kotin
03-01-2010, 06:38 PM
bunning is such a badass.

I was watching the ed show for some reason and he was bitching and moaning about the filibuster..

way to go, Senator Bunning.

Standing Like A Rock
03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
lol, as I was reading it, it seemed like it could be an Onion article. But it is awesome that it is real.

haaaylee
03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
VIDEO:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/sen-bunning-angry-excuse-9979729?tab=9482931&section=2808950&playlist=2808979

itshappening
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
the rally called by Rand is going to get national headlines

TCE
03-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Check out his voting record, he is not a promoter of liberty, he is just right on this issue.

Trigonx
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
So basically to get around this the senate just has to cut spending elsewhere to pay for the benefits. God forbid they actually cut some spending elsewhere such as overseas to pay for the dependent Americans on the tit.

TCE
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
So basically to get around this the senate just has to cut spending elsewhere to pay for the benefits. God forbid they actually cut some spending elsewhere such as overseas to pay for the dependent Americans on the tit.

Or, you can do what they're doing, which is ignore the PAYGO rule they just voted for.

Chester Copperpot
03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
it would be nice if these guys were like this ALL the time.. not just when they were retiring..

but at least way to go Jim Bunning.. Keep at em!

Captain Bryan
03-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I did not see him flipping the bird in that video.:(

Anti Federalist
03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Big deal, so he flipped off a reporter...

YouTube - George Bush Gives The Finger To America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnXnDb5ocMI&feature=fvw)

haaaylee
03-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Yea, apparently it happened right before they were able to turn the cameras on.

haaaylee
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Big deal, so he flipped off a reporter...

YouTube - George Bush Gives The Finger To America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnXnDb5ocMI&feature=fvw)

What is that from? Who was he actually flipping off/

Anti Federalist
03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
What is that from? Who was he actually flipping off/

W's on camera doing that a number of times in different places.

IIRC this instance was him flipping off protesters at some DC function in 2007.

amy31416
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Classy.

michaelwise
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
I dropped Jim a thank you e-mail.

devil21
03-01-2010, 11:42 PM
it would be nice if these guys were like this ALL the time.. not just when they were retiring..

but at least way to go Jim Bunning.. Keep at em!

I agree that its a shame they take a stand when they have nothing to lose anymore but better late than never. Can we keep Bunning and dump McConnell instead? Rand and Jim would make a nice combo out of KY.

akforme
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Check out his voting record, he is not a promoter of liberty, he is just right on this issue.

I did that a couple days ago, he's no friend of liberty that's for sure.

Ron_Paul_Knows
03-02-2010, 01:43 AM
I dropped Jim a thank you e-mail.

Leave a comment on his youtube channel too if you like. He could use a few positive comments there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenJimBunning (http://www.youtube.com/user/SenJimBunning)

AuH20
03-02-2010, 02:16 AM
I'm amused at some of the commentary. Senator Bunning is withholding 'their benefits' apparently. Given that the bottom 50 percent of American income earners contribute only 3% to the federal income tax base, I find that hard to believe.

LittleLightShining
03-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Hmmm... I'll admit I don't know the first thing about Bunning but he sounds like a jerk, not answering questions and lording his position over the peons who dare to ask them.

SelfTaught
03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Hmmm... I'll admit I don't know the first thing about Bunning but he sounds like a jerk, not answering questions and lording his position over the peons who dare to ask them.

Ummm, those reporters weren't peons. They're part of the communist-industrial-media-complex.

Oh no, god forbid someone actually try to do the right thing for once.

LittleLightShining
03-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Ummm, those reporters weren't peons. They're part of the communist-industrial-media-complex.

Oh no, god forbid someone actually try to do the right thing for once.Whoa, Nellie. If you haven't noticed I'm kinda like the patron saint of Question Askers :D

Is there really such a thing as a "Senators Only" elevator?

james1906
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Whoa, Nellie. If you haven't noticed I'm kinda like the patron saint of Question Askers :D

Is there really such a thing as a "Senators Only" elevator?

Why do Senators get their own elevators?

Bucjason
03-02-2010, 07:14 AM
VIDEO:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/sen-bunning-angry-excuse-9979729?tab=9482931&section=2808950&playlist=2808979

I didn't see the bird

???

dean.engelhardt
03-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Isn't Bunning just enforcing "Pay as You Go" that Obama promised us in the State of the Union?

AuH20
03-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I read somewhere that the democrats intend on extending jobless benefits to those for a third year? Who the hell do they think they are? And secondly, what do they expect to do when the crisis inevitably worsens? Do they think they can keep robbing Peter to pay Paul, when Peter has been stockpiling ammunition for 8 months? ;) Maybe if the democrats possessed a spine, they'd be frank with the American public and explain to them why jobs are scarce.

New2Libertarianism
03-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Bunning ftw!

torchbearer
03-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Why do Senators get their own elevators?

security. a good place to shank one of those bastards would be on an elevator.

Bruno
03-02-2010, 09:57 AM
security. a good place to shank one of those bastards would be on an elevator.

expect your DHS visit soon. :p :rolleyes:

torchbearer
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
expect your DHS visit soon. :p :rolleyes:

I'm always expecting that visit and i'm always prepared.
i have my friends trained to call before they knock on my door.

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:12 AM
How is trying to balance the budget on the backs of unemployed people the right thing to do? It's a cruel and ridiculous trick he's pulling. Ron Paul would never do such a thing, and I hope Rand wouldn't either.

It's about having a consistent voting record as a fiscal conservative, these one-time stunts just diminish his credibility.

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM
How is trying to balance the budget on the backs of unemployed people the right thing to do? It's a cruel and ridiculous trick he's pulling. Ron Paul would never do such a thing, and I hope Rand wouldn't either.

It's about having a consistent voting record as a fiscal conservative, these one-time stunts just diminish his credibility.

You seem to be falling for their TRICK again. It's not about the unemployed but rather the Congress' insistence to play us for fools AGAIN. Secondly, do you think the government can supply mass unemployment benefits for another 3 or 4 years, when they can barely reimburse car dealerships for CASH for CLUNKERS? You ain't seen nothing yet. This is just the beginning of the strife.

ARealConservative
03-02-2010, 11:17 AM

Ron Paul would not vote in favor of this either.

Would he filibuster though? Not sure

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Of course he wouldn't filibuster this. Even if elected President, he wouldn't go after entitlements like this in his first term, he said. Do you know what that means? That he would sign these bills as they crossed his desk. If he'd sign them as President, he certainly wouldn't filibuster them as a Senator. He's not against helping people in need, like Bunning is, apparently.

You have to choose your battles, and Bunning draws the line at helping unemployed people? "Not one more inch!" I mean, WTF?

dean.engelhardt
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm no fan of Bunning, but he is not trying to balance the budget on the backs of the unemployed. He'll vote for the bill as soon as it is paid for. He is fillibustering to support the PAYGO law that was promised to us.

The federal government is bankrupt. It must make some tough desicions soon or later. Later means more pain. I say shift $10B from defense budget to pay for it.

Chester Copperpot
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM

Huh? Are you sure you're at the right place??? LIberty FOrums!!???!?

Hello?

is this a real question?

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Of course he wouldn't filibuster this. Even if elected President, he wouldn't go after entitlements like this in his first term, he said. Do you know what that means? That he would sign these bills as they crossed his desk. If he'd sign them as President, he certainly wouldn't filibuster them as a Senator. He's not against helping people in need, like Bunning is, apparently.

You have to choose your battles, and Bunning draws the line at helping unemployed people? "Not one more inch!" I mean, WTF?

Bunning sees the big picture unlike his felllow sociopaths. Jobs were intentionally moved off our shores, thanks to GATT, NAFTA and other shenanigans. You can't save everyone. At minimum, double digit unemployment is going to be a fixture in the country for the next decade or two. It's a shame that more people didn't see it coming, because the lifeboats are running out. I feel even sorrier for the people who truly believe the government will save them in the end.

ARealConservative
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

I applaud Bunning for his stance.

Extending unemployment benefits is not something the federal government needs to be involved in at all. You are being suckered by the fear mongers who always try to play on peoples compassion to prevent any decrease in the size of the government.

If Ron Paul signed unconstitutional legislation, he would lose so many supporters it wouldn’t even be funny. He would not sign them – and congress would need to get a 2/3 majority to pass it.

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
dean.engelhardt, I agree with your solution that we should shift money from defense to pay for these benefits. I think everyone here would agree with that. It just doesn't seem appropriate to choose this specific time and place to get hardcore about the budget to me.

The appropriate time would be when a bill is put forward that you dislike and think is a good thing to cut to save money. I believe that Bunning thinks that this bill is a good thing to cut, and that seems really wrong to me.

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
dean.engelhardt, I agree with your solution that we should shift money from defense to pay for these benefits. I think everyone here would agree with that. It just doesn't seem appropriate to choose this specific time and place to get hardcore about the budget to me.

The appropriate time would be when a bill is put forward that you dislike and think is a good thing to cut to save money. I believe that Bunning thinks that this bill is a good thing to cut, and that seems really wrong to me.

Maybe Bunning is wise enough to understand that the true emergency hasn't hit the U.S. yet. That partially explains why many conservatives were screaming and moaning about the wasteful stimulus. The government should be stockpiling relief funds for the big tsunami, instead of throwing money down the special interest hole.

yokna7
03-02-2010, 11:33 AM

I think it's right when he steps in the elevator, its kinda halfway and the reporter blocks most of it out. I think thats what he was referring to.

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
If Ron Paul signed unconstitutional legislation, he would lose so many supporters it wouldn’t even be funny. He would not sign them – and congress would need to get a 2/3 majority to pass it.

Ron Paul stated clearly that he would not go after entitlement benefits in his first term. That means that he would sign these bills. How can you disagree with that?

dean.engelhardt
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Bunning wants to use leftover money from the economic stimulus act to pay for this. LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2010/03/sen-bunnings-one-man-filibuster-continues/1)The other memebers of the senate want to use debt. Debt that they told us they would not use in the PAYGO law. I don't understand how Bunning is portrayed as the bad guy here???

What do Senators plan on doing with the economic stimulus money if they don't use it for this?

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Ron Paul stated clearly that he would not go after entitlement benefits in his first term. That means that he would sign these bills. How can you disagree with that?

But these are not normal entitlement benefits. These are entitlement benefits on steroids.

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
But these are not normal entitlement benefits. These are entitlement benefits on steroids.

No, these are normal benefits. Unemployment is a much smaller liability that social security or medicare, and Ron Paul would continue those programs.

Explain what you mean by these are not normal benefits.

j6p
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah, let the people suffer while the military industry gets unlimited funding. Too bad bunning didnt pull this stunt when he voted to use tax payer resources to pay for the war.

j6p
03-02-2010, 11:39 AM
BTW he voted for the Iraq war, so he is no friend of liberty.

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
No, these are normal benefits. Unemployment is a much smaller liability that social security or medicare, and Ron Paul would continue those programs.

Explain what you mean by these are not normal benefits.

It's been extended to those who have been out of work for 3 years! I have no problems with individuals receiving unemployment for a period of less than 12 months which they paid into, but the extensions are a joke. How about extending it to a decade, because that's what's going to have to happen. ;)

AuH20
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Yeah, let the people suffer while the military industry gets unlimited funding. Too bad bunning didnt pull this stunt when he voted to use tax payer resources to pay for the war.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You don't bend your principles for stupidity.

yokna7
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Bunning just got torched. Well said Sir.

CUnknown
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
It still doesn't make sense to choose this as the one thing in the budget that you want to cut. Don't deflect this to the rest of Congress -- this is all Bunning, he is the one targeting unemployment. He is in effect saying "We have to cut somewhere, and if anyone doesn't have any better ideas, I say we cut here." He should pick another day and another bill to have this battle, and in that case, I'd applaud him.

Someone has to make the hard decisions, I agree. But not all hard decisions are the right decisions.

j6p
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
It's not bending for stupid, the military buget is a heck of a lot bigger then UE. It's small compared to the amount of resources he voted on for the Iraq war.

ARealConservative
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM

“go after” could mean anything.

Ron Paul runs an educational campaign first and foremost.

I don’t think he would actively go after these programs. He isn’t going to use the presidential bully pulpit to hammer away at these programs, which is what he means by going after them. But I see little chance of him actually signing unconstitutional legislation that hits his desk.

libertarian4321
03-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Yeah, this guy is no hero.

Known for being one of the least effective Senators (of either party) and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He was so weak and ineffective (and often just doesn't show up for work) that KY Republicans effectively forced him to retire (which is good for Rand Paul, of course).

Notice he never had the courage to take a stand on anything until it no longer mattered (he's retiring).

Bunning has said a lot of stupid things in his political career, but my favorite is:

"Let me explain something: I don't watch the national news, and I don't read the paper. I haven't done that for the last six weeks. I watch Fox News to get my information."

He has some good quotes comparing the importance of the Iraq war to WW2 as well.

A really bad politician doesn't become a "hero" because he agrees with you once in his dismal career.

This guy should have stayed retired after 1971 (when he retired from a great baseball career).

libertarian4321
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Maybe Bunning is wise enough to understand that the true emergency hasn't hit the U.S. yet.

This may be the first time anyone has ever used the words "Bunning" and "wise" in the same sentence.

There are a lot of words that have been used to describe Jim Bunning in his long public career as a baseball player and politician. "Wise" has never been one of them.

devil21
03-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I was being somewhat facetious with the "hero" declaration but anybody that gives the MSM gotcha-machine the finger while forcing the gov't to FUND their spending is ok in my book, for now at least.

In related news, the Dems announced they will scrap that bill and move forward with one 10 times larger on Friday. Great.

kahless
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
It still doesn't make sense to choose this as the one thing in the budget that you want to cut. Don't deflect this to the rest of Congress -- this is all Bunning, he is the one targeting unemployment. He is in effect saying "We have to cut somewhere, and if anyone doesn't have any better ideas, I say we cut here." He should pick another day and another bill to have this battle, and in that case, I'd applaud him.

Someone has to make the hard decisions, I agree. But not all hard decisions are the right decisions.

Did I miss something here?

http://bunning.senate.gov/public/

Bunning Again Tries To Get A Pay-For

Washington, DC
Monday, March 1, 2010

From the floor of the United States Senate:

Mr. Bunning: Mr. President, it's -- it's amazing to me that the Senator from Illinois has what we call a convenient memory just last week, there was a bipartisan bill proposed by Senator Baucus and Senator Grassley that would have covered these extension of unemployment benefits, cobra health care assistance, flood insurance, highway bill assistance, the doc fix, small business loans and the rural satellite television viewer act, and his convenient memory loss allowed him to forget that his Leader, Senator Reid, did not allow that bill to come to the floor, and instead substituted his jobs bill which was also not fully paid for, by the way. $10 billion wasn't, $5 billion was. And so $10 billion from the jobs bill that was passed went to the bottom of the deficit.
There comes a time when 100 senators are for something that we all support. If we can't find $10 billion to pay for it, we're not going to pay for anything. We will not pay for anything fully on the floor of the U.S. Senate. Now, he said I only offered one way to pay for this. That's untrue. I offered more than one way. I negotiated with the Leader -- the Leader's staff, rather, and we had worked out two-week extension to $5 billion with a different pay-for. The debt that we have arrived at , even the head of the Federal Reserve Bank, Chairman Bernanke, said it's not sustainable. It's unsustainable. What does that mean to the American people, to the same people that are struggling to pay their bills, that are on unemployment, that could have been covered had the Baucus-Grassley bill been considered, and could have been covered not for 30 days but for three months?

Now, because there were some tax extenders in that bill, the Democrat majority stopped the bill from being considered. I'm not filibustering the bill. A filibuster is -- a filibusterer is somebody who talks a long time. I am exercising my right as a senator duly elected from Kentucky to object to a U.C. that's completely different than filibustering. Everybody knows that a member of this body that anybody, 100 of us, can object to anything that is brought to the floor of the U.S. Senate, whether it be a nominee, whether it be a judge, whether it be somebody that is appointed to the Treasury. Anybody can object. And there is a procedure that takes place that you can overcome that objection. Why doesn't the Democratic majority use that procedure?

So I'm going to make one more shot, and as long as we continue to have the extenders being brought forth and paid for, I'm going to make it. I ask Unanimous Consent that the Senate proceed to the immediate consideration of H.R. 4691, that the amendment at the desk which offers a full offset be agreed to, the bill be amended -- as amended be read a third time and passed, and the motion to reconsider be laid upon the table.

The Presiding Officer: Is there objection?

Mr. Durbin: Mr. President,... I object.

Promontorium
03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
There's a sign to the left of the elevator that clearly reads "Senators Only" with some other words above and below it in smaller text.

Why would there be a "senators only" elevator, I don't know. I can't imagine that he might be in a building where senators meet. I've never heard of such a thing. I just thought they all met in public parks and had to share their space with hot dog vendors and mimes.

This video has taught us all a lot about the government. And that ABC is acting like Fox News.