PDA

View Full Version : UN: Latin America undermining drug war by decriminalizing drugs

Anti Federalist
03-01-2010, 11:47 AM
UN: Latin America undermining drug war by decriminalizing drugs

By Sara Miller Llana Staff writer / February 24, 2010
Mexico City

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2010/0224/UN-Latin-America-undermining-drug-war-by-decriminalizing-drugs

Latin America, being asked to stop decriminalizing drugs, received a harsh slap on the wrist by a United Nations body today for the burgeoning movement in various countries to decriminalize small amounts of drugs.

Drug reform activists have hailed the moves as a new approach that refocuses resources on big-time traffickers and views drug abuse as a health problem instead of a police problem. (How Mexico quietly decriminalized drug use.)

But the Vienna-based International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), in its annual report released today, stated its concern over Latin America’s “growing movement to decriminalize the possession of controlled drugs, in particular cannabis.”

After decades of hewing to the US’s tough stance, some Latin American nations in recent months have moved toward more leniency for personal possession, particularly of marijuana. (How Latin America is breaking ranks with the US.)
Loosening up, one by one

Last year Mexico decriminalized possession of heroine, cocaine, and other drugs found in small amounts. Argentina followed with a Supreme Court ruling stating the unconstitutionality of the arrest of five youths carrying a small amount of marijuana. Brazil has also introduced legislation to replace jail sentences with educational measures.

The INCB report says: “The board is concerned that the movement, if not resolutely countered by the respective governments, will undermine national and international efforts to combat the abuse of and illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs. …The movement poses a threat to the coherence and effectiveness of the international drug control system and sends the wrong message to the general public.”

That is key, right there.

Government must counter what the people want and what the law requires and must send the "right message" to us, the people.

dannno
03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
For cannabis.. a plant that our Founding Fathers grew and implored everybody else to grow..

tmosley
03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Fuck the UN.

Dr.3D
03-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Fuck the UN.

Exactly. I kinda figured the U.N. has something to do with all the hype and may be the actual cause of the 'drug problem'.

mczerone
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I entirely agree with the facts though: the legalization undermines the drug war, and sends a message to the people that the UN and drug war nations don't want to be heard.

These countries legalizing some drugs may just be an op to integrate powerful king-pin empires into the government fold, though. The real key to watch is if the governments provide monopoly privilege to key growers and blocks the poor from establishing their own businesses with their own land, either individually or cooperatively.

If these privileges are granted, which seems likely to me, I only expect more inter-state violence, and escalation toward adding some more states to the US "axis of evil" list. I fear that these governments aren't legalizing consenting behaviors as much as they are legalizing private aggressive armies.

jkr
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
undermining?

what if i simply disagree that they should be doing it in the first place?

Nate
03-01-2010, 03:35 PM
fuck the un.

^
this

Bruno
03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
"sends the wrong message" is among the most tired and worthless phrases of the War on Drugs People

Time to retire that one

Pepsi
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Exactly. I kinda figured the U.N. has something to do with all the hype and may be the actual cause of the 'drug problem'.

I am more than sure they have no problem using the stuff them selfs, as long it does not become a public controversy, even than they just use the media to put it in a black hole were most people well just forget about it.

Kotin
03-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Fuck the UN.

My thoughts exactly.

iw2010
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
i agree with tmosley lol