PDA

View Full Version : Resolution Suggestions

TastyWheat
03-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Aside from the standard "End the Fed" and "Non-interventionism" resolutions you may introduce might I suggest another to remove a bad rule inserted by the last state convention. The last sentence of Rule 38, Section 7(b) states:

Those individuals who have access to the floor of the National Convention by virtue of their office shall be prohibited for selection as an at-large national delegate, by the National Nominations Committee.
In other words, if a public official wishes to become an at-large/unbound delegate then he/she will have to attend the state convention as a normal delegate. This may seem only fair, but this will diminish the presence of the grassroots at the Texas state convention as public officials will likely take the spots that would've been occupied by normal individuals. I highly suggest you make a resolution to remove this line from the RPT rules (I assume a resolution is the right way to propose the change).

Here's a link to the RPT Rules with highlighting (http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-qrfHViYt8YOGJhODA1MGYtY2M4MS00MmM0LTkzMTctOTJlNzhi ZjVkYmE2&hl=en). I've added notes too but they won't show up in Google Docs. You'll have to download the file to see everything. So look over the changes and other parts to see if anything needs to be rolled back.

Elwar
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Interesting...but wouldn't anyone who's a public official be prohibited under that statute? It says those individuals who have access to the floor...by virtue of their office shall be prohibited...

Also, I would highly suggest a resolution to only allow delegates be selected to the state convention if they are present at the precinct convention.
I sat and watched the selection process for state delegates (you are allowed to sit there and watch, I was the only one). A large group of people came in and gave their case on why they should be picked to go to the state convention, after they were done the officials started naming names...they each had their own list, all of people they knew that weren't at the convention. I don't think they picked any of the several dozen people that came in front of them.

TastyWheat
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Interesting...but wouldn't anyone who's a public official be prohibited under that statute? It says those individuals who have access to the floor...by virtue of their office shall be prohibited...
Exactly. If you read the entire quote it says these people cannot be at-large delegates. Reading between the lines, these officials would have to attend as regular delegates if they wanted to be at-large delegates. More elected officials attending as state delegates = fewer private citizens attending as state delegates.

Also, I would highly suggest a resolution to only allow delegates be selected to the state convention if they are present at the precinct convention.
I understand how that seems unfair as well, but that's a double-edged sword. If they can't add people that didn't attend the precinct conventions then neither can we. Logistically speaking that isn't practical since the precinct convention locations usually can't accommodate more than a dozen attendees per precinct.

I might however, support a resolution that requires delegate/alternate nominees be from the current list of elected delegates/alternates. Therefore, only delegates/alternates to the state convention could be eligible as a delegate/alternate to the national convention (excluding elected officials). So actual attendance wouldn't be necessary, but I think it's important to have good people on the nominations committee that will give preference to those that attend.

Lmata
03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
On that first resolution I remember it from the state convention in 08.

We want to keep it! It means that Gov Perry is automatically invited to the national convention because he is the Gov so he doesn't need a spot on the delegate list. Last time (in 08) he was listed as an "at large" delegate and took a spot that another person could have had. With the resolution left as it it there are more spots for the grassroots because the slots aren't filled with all the state officials that would be attending anyways. Or, worse yet, taken by them and they don't attend at all.

eta: It wasn't limited to Perry - I was just using him as an example. There were many of them on the list at the last convention that in effect took two spots; one as an elected official with automatic invitation to the convention and as an at large delegate.

Elwar
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Exactly. If you read the entire quote it says these people cannot be at-large delegates. Reading between the lines, these officials would have to attend as regular delegates if they wanted to be at-large delegates. More elected officials attending as state delegates = fewer private citizens attending as state delegates.

I understand how that seems unfair as well, but that's a double-edged sword. If they can't add people that didn't attend the precinct conventions then neither can we. Logistically speaking that isn't practical since the precinct convention locations usually can't accommodate more than a dozen attendees per precinct.

I might however, support a resolution that requires delegate/alternate nominees be from the current list of elected delegates/alternates. Therefore, only delegates/alternates to the state convention could be eligible as a delegate/alternate to the national convention (excluding elected officials). So actual attendance wouldn't be necessary, but I think it's important to have good people on the nominations committee that will give preference to those that attend.

Ya, that's what I meant, the district conventions...if you're not willing to go to your district convention, why should they send them on to the state convention?

TastyWheat
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Okay, I'll concede this rule doesn't sound as bad as I thought, but I'm still wary on this point since the Rules Committeewoman from my district told us it would have a diminishing effect on the grassroots.

jblosser
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
The Medina Campaign recommends these: http://www.medinafortexas.com/assets/images/We_Texans_Resolutions.pdf

TruckinMike
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
The Medina Campaign recommends these: http://www.medinafortexas.com/assets/images/We_Texans_Resolutions.pdf

PRINT these out and take them with you to the Precinct convention tonight.
TMike