PDA

View Full Version : Pub landlord is first person in Britain to be jailed over smoking ban

Anti Federalist
02-27-2010, 09:55 PM
Pub landlord is first person in Britain to be jailed over smoking ban

By Liz Hull
Last updated at 9:10 AM on 27th February 201

A former pub landlord yesterday became the first person to be jailed in connection with the smoking ban.

Nick Hogan, 43, was sentenced to six months in prison for refusing to pay a fine imposed for flouting the legislation.

Two years ago Hogan, who ran two pubs in Bolton, became the first landlord convicted of breaking the law for allowing his customers to routinely light up in his bars.

A judge fined Hogan, of Chorley, Lancashire, £3,000 and ordered him to pay £7,236 in costs after finding him guilty of four charges under the Health Act 2006.

But the married father-of-two refused to pay the fine and yesterday, after repeatedly being hauled back before the courts, a judge sitting at Bolton Crown Court finally lost patience and jailed him.

Last night his wife, Denise, 53, who is also a publican, said she was disgusted that her husband would be in prison alongside murderers and rapists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254126/Pub-landlord-Nick-Hogan-given-smoking-ban-jail-sentence.html#ixzz0gncp4dBp

Cowlesy
02-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Damn...I wish the Brits would stop rolling over and letting themselves be steamrolled by the bureaucracy.

http://www.takimag.com/blogs/article/missing_british_identity/

It's time the Brits start fighting back against their political class.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Damn...I wish the Brits would stop rolling over and letting themselves be steamrolled by the bureaucracy.

Nice article, I enjoy reading Taki's stuff, thanks.

Dr.3D
02-27-2010, 11:07 PM
What ever happened to freedom of choice? The owner of a building should be able to allow or disallow smoking in his building. The government shouldn't have anything to say about it.

If people don't want to go into a building where people are smoking, they they have the choice not to. They can always go someplace else where smoking is prohibited by the owner.

To hell with the governments that are doing this, it is none of their darned business what people do with their own property.

fj45lvr
02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
What ever happened to freedom of choice? The owner of a building should be able to allow or disallow smoking in his building. The government shouldn't have anything to say about it.

If people don't want to go into a building where people are smoking, they they have the choice not to. They can always go someplace else where smoking is prohibited by the owner.

To hell with the governments that are doing this, it is none of their darned business what people do with their own property.

amen.

I don't care for cigarette smoke but I agree with this 100%....what other things will the government find to be "dangerous" and ban on private property???

this is a foolish and tyrannical allowance that the people should rise up to quash sooner than later.

SamuraisWisdom
02-28-2010, 10:37 AM

We have similar laws at the state level in this country too.

torchbearer
02-28-2010, 10:41 AM
we have "black market" pubs that allow smoking in louisiana even though its illegal.
last time i went to one, i was chatting up with a local police officer that enjoys that place. so i'm sure they are safe.

Valli6
02-28-2010, 10:52 AM
we have "black market" pubs that allow smoking in louisiana even though its illegal.
last time i went to one, i was chatting up with a local police officer that enjoys that place. so i'm sure they are safe.

Bringing back the "speakeasy"? Interesting idea. How will the public view it once they see law enforcement raiding establishments for allowing the smoking of legal cigarettes?

torchbearer
02-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Bringing back the "speakeasy"? Interesting idea. How will the public view it once they see law enforcement raiding establishments for allowing the smoking of legal cigarettes?

then they will see the smoking ban for what it is and more people start listening to us.
note- law enforcement enjoy the smoking pubs too.

Valli6
02-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I wonder how a nation wide " Great American Smoke-in" would go down? The cops on duty would be too busy with real crimes to respond to all the reports of "breaking" a fake law! (Plus it would give me an excuse to smoke for a day:) - I quit 2 years ago :()