PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton was seriously the best President in a long while

AggieforPaul
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM
He still did a lot of things wrong, but he was running surpluses at the end of his term, and he didnt get us involved in any new long term major foreign commitments. I was glad to see Hillary answer Ron Paul's question by saying how outrageous Greenspan's argument for more debt was. While the Clintons are still undoubtedly statist, their brand of spend within the state's means, cut what you dont need (Clinton reformed welfare and closed a lot of military bases), and tax where you must (instead of inflate/borrow) was superior to these massive deficits and foreign wars that Bush/Obama are responsible for.

acptulsa
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
You're right, you know. No wonder the nation's in the crapper. Just damn. I know this isn't really the best we can do...

Been down so dirty damn long it looks like up to me.

By the way, you do know those "surpluses" were a product of Reaganesque fuzzy math, don't you?

Agorism
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Ya Clinton had a nice bubble going right before he got out of office.

Stary Hickory
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Ya Clinton had a nice bubble going right before he got out of office.

Exactly, since no presidents seem to understand the economics of inflation they just come in a ride the bubbles. Clinton was prevented from doing a lot of harm by having to deal with a Republican house and senates. A deadlocked government is a good one.

AlexMerced
02-27-2010, 04:40 PM
exactly, since no presidents seem to understand the economics of inflation they just come in a ride the bubbles. Clinton was prevented from doing a lot of harm by having to deal with a republican house and senates. A deadlocked government is a good one.

ftw

BlackTerrel
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Chris Rock one said about Clinton that Presidents were judged on peace and the economy. He said Clinton was a popular president because we had peace and we had a good economy.

Such a change from today.

paulitics
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
He still did a lot of things wrong, but he was running surpluses at the end of his term, and he didnt get us involved in any new long term major foreign commitments. I was glad to see Hillary answer Ron Paul's question by saying how outrageous Greenspan's argument for more debt was. While the Clintons are still undoubtedly statist, their brand of spend within the state's means, cut what you dont need (Clinton reformed welfare and closed a lot of military bases), and tax where you must (instead of inflate/borrow) was superior to these massive deficits and foreign wars that Bush/Obama are responsible for.

There was no surplus under Clinton. That myth has been debunked a million times. Borrowing money from SS to buy debt, does not reduce debt.

http://www.craigsteiner.us/articles/16

Clinton also had the dot.com bubble which greatly increased tax revenue, but this was artificial and short lived. He should not get credit for any of that.

Clinton wanted to go into Iraq, but he ran out of time during his administration. He just decided to bomb civilians instead, and impose sanctions leading to starvation and illnesses.

I'll give you this. The Clinton years were better times. The country was in better shape, and in a better mood. People were still making money, and the free market was still intact. I will take the 90s over the 2000s any day.

He was still a scumbag though, but his power was also checked by the republican congress. The Newt Gingrich congress became a joke as well, but for a few years in the 90s it was pretty effective at keeping the progressives under control.

FrankRep
02-27-2010, 05:46 PM
The true reason why Bill Clinton should have been Impeached.
Monica Lewinsky was a media diversion.

Bill Clinton and the Chinagate Treason Scandal

YouTube - Chinagate - Lewinsky Deception (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F054Slq07wg)

Bill Clinton's Chinagate Scandal
Bill Clintons Chinagate Scandal (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2802238322400032215)

1996 United States campaign finance controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_United_States_campaign_finance_controversy

The 1996 United States campaign finance controversy, also known as Chinagate, was an alleged effort by the People's Republic of China to influence domestic American politics during the 1996 federal elections.

The issue first received public attention in early 1997, with news that a Justice Department investigation had uncovered evidence that agents of China sought to direct contributions to the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in violation of U.S. laws regarding foreign political contributions.[1] The Chinese government denied all accusations. Twenty-two people were eventually convicted of fraud or for funneling Asian funds into the United States elections, and others fled U.S. jurisdiction. Several of these were associates of Bill Clinton or Al Gore.

BuddyRey
02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do miss Clinton.

Vessol
02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do miss Clinton.

That's because the 90's was one big expanding bubble economy.

TinCanToNA
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Chris Rock one said about Clinton that Presidents were judged on peace and the economy. He said Clinton was a popular president because we had peace and we had a good economy.

Such a change from today.

I guess one man's peace is another man's ruthless sanctions and airstrikes. ;)

lynnf
02-27-2010, 06:44 PM
ya, gotta give the Devil his due - Clinton did well on the economy.

but remember, under Clinton the 9/11 flyers were entering the country,
taking flight lessons, and making their plans.

Osama Bin Laden was still collecting his CIA paycheck (all the way up to 9/11)

and everyone was distracted by the little (or not so little) semen-stained blue dress.

thank you, Bill -------------- for NOTHING!

lynn

AggieforPaul
02-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Im not saying he was a saint, but he wasted less money than Bush or Obama. I don't think Clinton would have gone into Iraq. yes he had a ton of hawkish advisers, but he was a Rhodes Scholar with his own opinion on how to deal with foreign enemies. Those advisers didnt get their way until they had a tabula rasa in George Bush.

Fox McCloud
02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
I might also remind everyone that Clinton was presented with ways, multiple times, to take out/kill Osama bin Laden, but each time he turned it out, deferring instead to our "ally"; Saudi Arabia.

He also got us involved in Kosovo and set the precedent for invading Iraq.

I can't believe the general support he's getting in this threat, it's a bit baffling.

but he was a Rhodes Scholar

all the more reason not to support him...

Live_Free_Or_Die
02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
nt

Koz
02-27-2010, 07:08 PM
blow jobs for everyone....

I'm cool with that.

But Clinton was a terrible president. The Republicans made him sign welfare reform. He went kicking and screaming on that one.

He was entertaining though, I will give him that.

TroySmith
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I might also remind everyone that Clinton was presented with ways, multiple times, to take out/kill Osama bin Laden, but each time he turned it out, deferring instead to our "ally"; Saudi Arabia.

I can't believe the general support he's getting in this threat, it's a bit baffling.

I doubt many people on this board support him (me included) but I would acknowledge that he was probably significantly better, or less destructive, than both Bushes and Obama. Bush Sr invaded Iraq first btw.

SevenEyedJeff
02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Clinton started the massive outsourcing of jobs by signing NAFTA, so don't think he's innocent in all this.

He got his blow jobs, then he blowed all our jobs away.

Vessol
02-27-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm honestly surprised people are raising Clinton up here.

The only real reason he was "good on economics" is he was lucky enough to be President when the biggest bubble of them all was rapidly expanding.

Waco happened when he was in office, not to mention the bombing of Yugoslavia, the mess of Somalia, and the continued bombing of Iraq.

SimpleName
02-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm honestly surprised people are raising Clinton up here.

The only real reason he was "good on economics" is he was lucky enough to be President when the biggest bubble of them all was rapidly expanding.

Waco happened when he was in office, not to mention the bombing of Yugoslavia, the mess of Somalia, and the continued bombing of Iraq.

You beat me to it. I was going to mention WACO. There were several small military "missions" (whatever you'd call them) that were 100% out of the scope of the Constitution. I gotta read up on those a little more, but there seemed to be quite a few.

We are only seeing the extremes now that Clinton set the stage for. Bush took those precedents and ran with them and now we have Obama on a rampage. If Clinton could take back the White House today, I'd bet there would be very few differences from what Obama is currently pushing.

FrankRep
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Bill Clinton was a horrible president and he should have been impeached for ChinaGate (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233686&p=2572672).

UtahApocalypse
02-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Two Things about Clinton..... His "Personal" life should have not been politicized. Right or wrong his actions were between him and his wife and not the country.

Second.... It's been all downhill from there.

FrankRep
02-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Two Things about Clinton..... His "Personal" life should have not been politicized. Right or wrong his actions were between him and his wife and not the country.

Monica Lewinsky was a media diversion

The real issue was ChinaGate (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233686&p=2572672).

Imperial
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
That's because the 90's was one big expanding bubble economy.

This is a bit misleading. Yes, the bubble was gaining strength under Clinton, but I think it was fairly effectively controlled. It was under Bush when it began to expand exponentially with the massive deficit spending pursued outright.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
02-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I love Big Brother.

LibertyEagle
02-27-2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah, it's kinda blowing my mind too.

Do you guys not remember all the people falling dead all around Clinton? From Vince Foster, I think it was state troopers with regard to the Mena, Arkansas drug running, Waco, Ruby Ridge, and on and on.

This man was as scummy as they come.

Anti Federalist
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Clinton was one of the most corrupt and treasonous presidents this country has ever had.

In addition to Chinagate, the government murders at Waco, Kosovo, Somalia and Haiti incursions, he was, back in the 1980's, complicit in the drug running and murders in and around Mena AK, which was part of a larger CIA/White House (Iran - Contra) operation under Bush Sr.

Read Compromised by Terry Reed.

http://www.amazon.com/Compromised-Clinton-Bush-Terry-Reed/dp/1883955025

LibertyEagle
02-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Bill Clinton was a horrible president and he should have been impeached for ChinaGate (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233686&p=2572672).

Indeed. But, I think he should have been prosecuted for treason.

akforme
02-28-2010, 01:30 AM
I have a 4 way tie for my 6th worse president. Bush, bush, reagan, clinton. They all had a couple ok points and a whole lot of shitty ones.

Knightskye
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Didn't he raid the Social Security trust fund in order to "balance the budget"?

You just miss Clinton because it's been about 10 years since he was President.

Bruno
02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
GReat points made above that he was NOT a great president. Vince Foster would probably agree if he had lived through more of it, as would the boys on the tracks if they were still alive to have seen his presidency and not just the drug running he was involved in which led to their deaths.

Regarding the surplus - if memory serves me correctly, when Clinton announced during one of his SOTU address that we had a "$90 Billion surplus"(by raiding SS funds) , after the cheers subsided he announced a slew of new big government social programs to spend all of the money instead of giving it back to the American taxpayers.

I'd say Clinton was a used-car salesman that conned our country into believing that he was something he was not, but I don't want to insult any used-car salemen.

Some, like me, actually voted for the idiot thinking they would get some change, like not arresting 500,000 people a year for smoking marijuana. Instead, he proposed spending $12 Billion on more prisons and 100,000 new police officers to expand the police state, and those consensual criminal arrests rose during his presidency.

Bucjason
02-28-2010, 08:23 AM
The only thing good about Clinton was that he did as little as he possibly could. He realized the best way to keep up poll #'s is to do nothing, and in the process you offend and/or outrage no one.

Right after his wife's healthcare debacle, and the Repubs swept into power in both houses, he adopted this philosophy, and it worked well for him.

dannno
02-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Schiff always talks about how the bubble is the problem and the recession is the cure.. Keep that in mind

Koz
02-28-2010, 08:44 AM

I would totally agree with you. That is, until he lied to the American people. He should have kept his mouth shut and said that it was between him and his wife. I can take a lot of things, but I can't stomach a liar.

aravoth
02-28-2010, 09:04 AM
WTF is going on here? Clinton was a shithead.

Someone said they were peaceful times back then? I didn't notice, especially when he deployed my battalion to Kosovo. I don't think the 500,000 Iraqi children noticed either while they starved to death from the Sanctions he imposed on them.

As far as a surplus goes, that is total horseshit. They raped Social Security to pay off other things, then moved it all off the public balance sheet. Creative financing, that's all it was.

People give him credit for the Dot com bubble, but do they give him credit for the inevitable dot-com crash that followed as a result of the boom?

I understand, we have collectively been eating dog shit for the last ten years, after a while, you'll miss the taste of chickenshit.

pacelli
02-28-2010, 09:19 AM
WTF is going on here? Clinton was a shithead.

Someone said they were peaceful times back then? I didn't notice, especially when he deployed my battalion to Kosovo. I don't think the 500,000 Iraqi children noticed either while they starved to death from the Sanctions he imposed on them.

As far as a surplus goes, that is total horseshit. They raped Social Security to pay off other things, then moved it all off the public balance sheet. Creative financing, that's all it was.

People give him credit for the Dot com bubble, but do they give him credit for the inevitable dot-com crash that followed as a result of the boom?

I understand, we have collectively been eating dog shit for the last ten years, after a while, you'll miss the taste of chickenshit.

I really think you hit it out of the park here. This thread would gag a maggot.

VegasPatriot
02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
YouTube - The Clinton Chronicles part 1 of 10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgdJFeHVa-U)

Bruno
02-28-2010, 09:27 AM
^ Thanks for sharing the Clinton Chroniciles, for those who don't know enough of the Clinton story.

VegasPatriot
02-28-2010, 09:36 AM
^ Thanks for sharing the Clinton Chroniciles, for those who don't know enough of the Clinton story.

NP... They both should be in prison.

FreeTraveler
02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Saying Clinton was the best President we've had in a long time is like saying Ghenghis Khan was the nicest of homicidal despots. He only looks good in relative terms to the increasingly brain-dead puppets that have been elected since.

johngr
02-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a 4 way tie for my 6th worse president. Bush, bush, reagan, clinton. They all had a couple ok points and a whole lot of shitty ones.

Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Truman, Johnson?