PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on Billboards? Cost?

jkaufmann
10-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I have seen alot of people getting together ads for newspaper, radio ads, and a few tv ads.

What about billboards? Everyday I drive into Atlanta from the suburbs I pass several billboards waitiing to say:

"Who is Ron Paul?"

Just wondering if anyone ever investigated this.. I.E. the expense.

anewvoice
10-07-2007, 07:48 PM
It varies from state to state, freeway to freeway. Though 1k a month is not at all uncommon.

jkaufmann
10-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I just noticed Billboard topics in NH.. oops.

That sounds cheap to me.

Hell, I'd fund 1K for 3 months straight out of my own pocket.

lx43
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
There is a billboard on I-95 I'm looking at that is 1,200 a month.

BTW what does average DEC/Panel mean?

Geronimo
10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I drive by a bunch of vacant billboards on some of NH's busiest interstates all the time. I'll jot down some phone numbers for you, if you'd like.

Eric21ND
10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
definitely get some numbers and a few pictures if you can. let's do this guys if the prices are reasonable.

Geronimo
10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
You might want to contact these guys (http://www.outdoorbillboard.com/Directory/new%20hampshire%20outdoor%20advertising.htm).

lx43
10-07-2007, 07:58 PM
The one I'm looking at doing is in SC one of the early primary states.

Paul4Prez
10-07-2007, 08:00 PM
What about billboards? Everyday I drive into Atlanta from the suburbs I pass several billboards waitiing to say:

"Who is Ron Paul?"

Don't just say "Who is Ron Paul?"

List a few good reasons to vote for him, and how he is different. Something like:

End the war in Iraq

Cut government spending

Balance the budget

Protect our freedoms

etc.

traviskicks
10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
I have seen alot of people getting together ads for newspaper, radio ads, and a few tv ads.

"Who is Ron Paul?"

Or you could do it for cheap:

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/1/6/1/e/event_2165662.jpeg

http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/1/5/c/8/event_2165576.jpeg

:)

Geronimo
10-07-2007, 08:02 PM
"Abolish the IRS" is a good eye opener.

traviskicks
10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
here is a good one somebody made in a midewestern state, forget where:

http://www.neoperspectives.com/images/RonPaulbillboard.jpg

ksuguy
10-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I think that one is up in Kansas City.

Nathan Hale
10-07-2007, 08:16 PM

"Who is Ron Paul?"

The "Who is Ron Paul" era is over. It's about as old as Paul's "what, who me?" response whenever a reporter asks him about his popularity online. This campaign needs to realize that it's time to project the image that voters SHOULD know who Ron Paul is, and that Paul HAS CONFIDENCE in his popularity. Let's stick to actual campaign material from here on out. If you do a billboard ad, it should have his picture, his name, and some of his most popular positions, as well as the web address.

As for billboards, stick to NH and IA because they're what counts. I know a great one in Manchester, NH, across the street from the state's largest sports arena. It's available for $1,200 per month (though rumor has it the guy will drop to $800 per month for Ron Paul). The number is 603-669-6149.

LibertyEagle
10-07-2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.ronpaulkc.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ronme-002cropped.jpg

This is another idea and much cheaper. Offer a small amount of money (this person said they did it for $40/month) to someone who owns a barn close to the highway and hang up a banner.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1382/1469517929_7fcd82a730.jpg

Here's some other ideas:
http://dailypaul.com/node/2883

G-khan
10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Please read this when putting ads together... It makes a lot of sense..

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=249299&postcount=2

:D

G-khan
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
That barn is sweet maybe we have some people here with barns on highways that need funding and support for putting ads on them?

jkaufmann
10-07-2007, 10:12 PM
The "Who is Ron Paul" era is over. It's about as old as Paul's "what, who me?" response whenever a reporter asks him about his popularity online. This campaign needs to realize that it's time to project the image that voters SHOULD know who Ron Paul is, and that Paul HAS CONFIDENCE in his popularity. Let's stick to actual campaign material from here on out. If you do a billboard ad, it should have his picture, his name, and some of his most popular positions, as well as the web address.

As for billboards, stick to NH and IA because they're what counts. I know a great one in Manchester, NH, across the street from the state's largest sports arena. It's available for $1,200 per month (though rumor has it the guy will drop to $800 per month for Ron Paul). The number is 603-669-6149.

There has to be a catchy phrase. "Who is Ron Paul" might be over, but whats the next thing?

What is the next catchy slogan? Ron Paul is our Thomas Jefferson? Ron Paul -- Hillary defeater (I don;t like this one myself but heard this meme several times)

I am seriously thinking about joining a local meetup and spawning this. I've already maxed out the campaign donation and keep spamming money on different Chip-ins.

Is it possible to zone in on a few states? Or should all effort be made for NH/IOWA?

Is it a better idea to get some directioin from Ron's actual campaign, or is it better to leave that one alone?

zebov
10-07-2007, 11:07 PM
There has to be a catchy phrase. "Who is Ron Paul" might be over, but whats the next thing?

I really do like "Ron Paul - The Thomas Jefferson of our day." It's positive, true, and inspiring. And common-day folks have some sense of what it means.

Geronimo
10-08-2007, 05:25 PM
I spotted a vacant billboard on route 3 in NH. It's one of the few billboards between Nashua and Manchester. (two very highly populated cities in southern NH) It's on the opposite side of a well traveled four lane highway. The number is 603-383-4699.

There's a big louvered billboard on Elm Street in Manchester. The number is 603-623-9911.

The words "End the War" and "Abolish the IRS" would certainly grab the attention of those driving by.

jrich4rpaul
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
"Who is Ron Paul?" was the beginning, and has passed. "Ron Paul Revolution" was the growth of the grassroots support, and now we need the revolutionaries to promote "Ron Paul for President" to secure the votes from others.

That's how I see it.

G-khan
10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
How about "Only Ron Paul Can Beat Hillaryl"

giskard
10-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Isn't "PRESIDENT RON PAUL in 2008" better?

deedles
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
That barn was done by one of the co-organizers of my meetup in Wisconsin (he's the one on the far right). We also have the same one on a highway sound barrier fence (privately owned, of course) for free since another member of our meetup lives there.

Now we're getting ready to put up a 10x12' plywood sign on a business on Main St. The owner of the business likes RP and is letting us put that one up for free.

I'm wondering if taking out a classified ad might not work.

Wanted: Ron Paul supporters with high traffic frontage. We'll put up a big sign at no cost to you!

Only a couple bucks might net something really good.

As far as a new slogan:

Dr. Ron Paul for President

(the only cure for Hillary)

I do hate to give her name any visibility, though.

jrich4rpaul
10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Isn't "PRESIDENT RON PAUL in 2008" better?

Or Ron Paul for President 2008

sleeper
10-09-2007, 09:17 AM
PA. Deer season started it's archery season here.. I would like to get some people together and have a party and go tranqulize some deer and place Ron Paul signs on them... Any volunteers? :D :D We have over a million and a half hunters here in the woods I have to say.. But this could be something to get the word out.. Haven't thought of anything yet though productive other than tagging deer.. :D :D But I am sure just couple deer would make the paper I am sure.
Maybe take a harvest to the local paper and tell them your name is Ron Paul and they can look up the info on how you whacked the animal.

Nathan Hale
10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Is it possible to zone in on a few states? Or should all effort be made for NH/IOWA?

It's always good to have some things happening in places other than NH and IA, but as the decentralized grassroots forces of this campaign are already doing so much around the country, it's a better idea for all targeted efforts to happen in NH and IA. He honestly needs a LOT more of a presence there.

Is it a better idea to get some directioin from Ron's actual campaign, or is it better to leave that one alone?

It's always better to coordinate efforts with the central institution. That's the inherent libertarian conundrum. We always criticize the fact that government is less efficient the more it is centralized. This is the exact opposite of campaigns, which are more efficient when they take direction from the central entity. Because the campaign is both the candidate and a great deal of capital, it's good to see what the campaign wants and what the campaign is doing, and focus grassroots efforts around that.

Leslie Webb
10-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I second Geronimo's suggestion-- "End the War" or "End the Iraq War"; "Abolish the IRS"; and "Ron Paul for President 2008" or "Ron Paul, Republican for President 2008" , at one of the two locations he mentions.

Can we get a chip-in for this? I'd contribute $50-$100 to it.

A picture of Ron Paul like the one on the Kansas City or Iowa billboard shown above would be nice. Any billboard artists here?

work2win
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
"Who is Ron Paul?" was the beginning, and has passed. "Ron Paul Revolution" was the growth of the grassroots support, and now we need the revolutionaries to promote "Ron Paul for President" to secure the votes from others.

That's how I see it.

I agree 100%. At this phase we need to attract the bulk of the voters out there. These people are not looking for an underdog candidate, they want a winner. It is time we gave them that winner with a professional and presidential message.

I don't think "he's the only one who can beat hillary," is the primary message we want to convey. I believe this would be better served as a background comment...something that keeps slyly comming up so that it is nagging the fence sitters in the back of their mind.

'Champion of the Constitution' is powerful and summarizes RP's platform.

As far as issues statements, I think these are the most universally positive:

Secure Borders
Limited Government
Abolish the I.R.S.

The war can be both a real winner, and a real turn-off depending on the area. I have chosen to bypass that for now as I am afraid it will scare off potential republican voters. I was originally scared off by this issue, until I eventually did my own research.

work2win
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
PA. Deer season started it's archery season here.. I would like to get some people together and have a party and go tranqulize some deer and place Ron Paul signs on them... Any volunteers? :D :D We have over a million and a half hunters here in the woods I have to say.. But this could be something to get the word out.. Haven't thought of anything yet though productive other than tagging deer.. :D :D But I am sure just couple deer would make the paper I am sure.
Maybe take a harvest to the local paper and tell them your name is Ron Paul and they can look up the info on how you whacked the animal.

LOL

[guy bags a deer, aproaches said deer, sees "Ron Paul Revolution" logo spray painted on it]

Don't worry guys, he's not serious.

Geronimo
10-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Someone on myspace brought this billboard to my attention.

Indiana LOVES Ron Paul - This new billboard is on the eastbound side of I-70 at the 40.5 mile marker, about 1/2 way between Terre Haute, Indiana and Indianapolis.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/lakelly0423/ronpaulindiana.jpg

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a vacant billboard on Rte 3 in New Hampshire that is available. I really think that NH needs something like this. Yard signs are good for name recognition, but it's nothing compared to a billboard.

paulitics
10-18-2007, 06:50 PM
great idea, I will contribute if it pans out. Lets do this.

alicegardener
10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
RON PAUL:

Good As Gold

Cindy
10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Someone on myspace brought this billboard to my attention.

Indiana LOVES Ron Paul - This new billboard is on the eastbound side of I-70 at the 40.5 mile marker, about 1/2 way between Terre Haute, Indiana and Indianapolis.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/lakelly0423/ronpaulindiana.jpg

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a vacant billboard on Rte 3 in New Hampshire that is available. I really think that NH needs something like this. Yard signs are good for name recognition, but it's nothing compared to a billboard.

She's a beauty!

Matt Collins
10-18-2007, 10:58 PM
The "Who is Ron Paul" era is over. Let's stick to actual campaign material from here on out. If you do a billboard ad, it should have his picture, his name, and some of his most popular positions, as well as the web address.

Incorrect. Name recognition is absolutely critical. Thompson, Hillary, Rudy, and Obama are household names. Ron needs to become one too. Since we don't get a lot of help from the media, that means we need to follow the suggestions in this post on how to properly market Ron Paul:

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=25536

LibertyEagle
10-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Well Matt, if you want to suggest specific text to go on a billboard, please offer it up.

BTW, I agree that the day of just having a sign saying "Who is Ron Paul?" is past, or should be.

Drknows
10-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Well Matt, if you want to suggest specific text to go on a billboard, please offer it up.

BTW, I agree that the day of just having a sign saying "Who is Ron Paul?" is past, or should be.

I disagree WHO is RON Paul is genius for a campaign. I remember a rapper before he went big time did the same..... Who Is Mike Jones? he posted his cell phone number all over the place on t shirts, tapes and cds he passed out.

jake
10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I really do like "Ron Paul - The Thomas Jefferson of our day." It's positive, true, and inspiring. And common-day folks have some sense of what it means.

"Ron Paul - The Thomas Jefferson of our time."

Grandson of Liberty
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM
How about:

"This Country Needs a Doctor"
Ron Paul for President 2008

saku39
10-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Lots of great info on this thread.

Eric21ND
10-19-2007, 02:22 AM
That barn was done by one of the co-organizers of my meetup in Wisconsin (he's the one on the far right). We also have the same one on a highway sound barrier fence (privately owned, of course) for free since another member of our meetup lives there.

Now we're getting ready to put up a 10x12' plywood sign on a business on Main St. The owner of the business likes RP and is letting us put that one up for free.

I'm wondering if taking out a classified ad might not work.

Wanted: Ron Paul supporters with high traffic frontage. We'll put up a big sign at no cost to you!

Can you post a picture of that 10x12 sign you're putting up?

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Without a doubt it needs to have "Ron Paul for President" on it with the URL and possibly a phone number of the local meetup or of HQ (only 30% of voters are proficient on the Net).

A good photo of him would be ok to help increase his facial recognition. The one in the pics looks pretty decent, but it needs to create enough curiosity that the passer-by will have enough desire to have an action based on what they saw. In other words, not only are we going for name recognition, but we need to prompt the person who sees this to want to investigate this further.

Nathan Hale
10-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I disagree WHO is RON Paul is genius for a campaign. I remember a rapper before he went big time did the same..... Who Is Mike Jones? he posted his cell phone number all over the place on t shirts, tapes and cds he passed out.

And still nobody knows who the hell Mike Jones is. It's better to be up front on the billboard. Let them know he's running for president and the principles for which he stands. If they've never heard of him, it'll pique their curiosity just as much as a "who is ron paul" sign, and if they have heard of him perhaps they'll be willing to take a closer/second look.

Geronimo
10-19-2007, 08:12 PM
I've seen a few of these roaming around the roads of NH.
They'd look much nicer with a message from Ron Paul on the side.

h ttp://www.guerrillabillboards.com/
http://www.guerrillabillboards.com/images/madeyoulook02.jpg

DeadheadForPaul
10-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Are billboards more cost effective than newspaper ads? Should we do both? Anyone have political know-how about this?

I'd love to see some national chip-ins for billboards in Iowa and more importantly - NH and Sc

Matt Collins
10-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Are billboards more cost effective than newspaper ads? Should we do both? Anyone have political know-how about this?You have to look at CPM or "cost per thousand". In other words, how many dollars does a billboard cost you to get your message out to 1000 people? How many dollars does a radio ad cost you to get your message out to 1000 people? Etc.