PDA

View Full Version : Grassroots to start keeping track of supporters and statistics

eleganz
02-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Just a suggestion,

We need to start registering official supporters of Ron Paul in some sort of official website, with graphs and statistics on their age, where in America they live, etc... People often are afraid to display public support for underdogs if they don't feel like they have support of their peers and neighbors, etc...

It would be a great tool for all of us to see how many RP supporters we are gaining along the way, its also a great motivational tool to leaders and volunteers to keep up the good fight.

I hope this idea can see light.

gls
02-26-2010, 04:19 AM
Well, there's the Ron Paul page on Facebook with over 175,000 fans. There's also ~70,000 signed up at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/

Aside from that I'm not sure how useful or desirable a massive public database of supporters would be. Many would likely be resistant to signing up out of privacy concerns.

eleganz
02-26-2010, 04:52 AM
Well, there's the Ron Paul page on Facebook with over 175,000 fans. There's also ~70,000 signed up at http://ronpaul.meetup.com/

Aside from that I'm not sure how useful or desirable a massive public database of supporters would be. Many would likely be resistant to signing up out of privacy concerns.

Sorry facebook and twitter is not going to get the job done, it definitely helps with popularity but we're up against the MSM here...

If we want RP hitting all the primaries and getting all of the coverage he needs, we need a very consistent and organized infrastructure...

gls
02-26-2010, 05:15 AM
There's always the Campaign for Liberty, although some have misgivings with it.

I don't think a central grassroots organization would really catch on. This is a bottom up, diverse movement. That's fine by me as the lack of a clear authoritative structure makes it much more difficult for our political enemies to effectively infiltrate.

newbitech
02-26-2010, 05:57 AM
I was thinking of creating a vast 4chan type grassroots page.

that would be outrageously fun and productive IMO. I guess I can't do it now since I mentioned it.

I know what you are thinking tho, and I agree. Being diffuse is what makes this movement bad ass. But then there are those times I just wished so bad we'd all agree on 1 thing.

I know there are several projects cooking up right now. Keep your eyes peeled and if you are feeling something, go for it. Eventually, someone or something is going to captivate us all and it might as well come from within rather than from without.

Roxi
02-26-2010, 06:11 AM
hmmmm while it could be a useful tool, good luck getting very many to sign up for it

what you are talking about is herding cats, and if 3 years in this movement has taught me anything it is that you definitely cannot herd cats

eleganz
02-26-2010, 06:23 AM

I don't think a central grassroots organization would really catch on. This is a bottom up, diverse movement. That's fine by me as the lack of a clear authoritative structure makes it much more difficult for our political enemies to effectively infiltrate.

I thought about c4L too but yea...you know...

I hear what you're saying about it being a free for all bottom up grassroots, do what you want type thing but you don't want several projects of the same "category" confusing new supporters.

Roxic, I definitely agree what you're saying, it is very hard to herd and count but as soon as the supporters start realizing what is important and necessary to win, organization and structure is key. It is great that the movement is bottom-up but we don't want our support system to be spread too thin. In 2008 organizational and communication issues between the official campaign and grassroots efforts hindered performance and effectiveness.

John of Des Moines
02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
What roxic27 said except it's like herding angry wet cats.

eleganz
02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
hmmmm while it could be a useful tool, good luck getting very many to sign up for it

what you are talking about is herding cats, and if 3 years in this movement has taught me anything it is that you definitely cannot herd cats

In the climax of the 08 RP campaign, it was actually very easy to get people to sign up for this and that, to vote here and there, everybody was willing to do what was needed to get the message out, the fire is starting early this time, we have the early start on time but it won't be worth it if we don't organize before the RP frenzy starts getting real hot.

constituent
02-26-2010, 07:18 AM
whatever happened to ronpaulfriendsusa? (or something like that)

i met the guy who had set it up, gave him my info, he was supposed to register me or something, but i never heard from him again. real nice guy though.

MelissaWV
02-26-2010, 08:47 AM
What roxic27 said except it's like herding angry wet cats.

I'm not a cat. I'm an okapi. An angry okapi.

UtahApocalypse
02-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Just a suggestion,

We need to start registering official supporters of Ron Paul in some sort of official website, with graphs and statistics on their age, where in America they live, etc... People often are afraid to display public support for underdogs if they don't feel like they have support of their peers and neighbors, etc...

It would be a great tool for all of us to see how many RP supporters we are gaining along the way, its also a great motivational tool to leaders and volunteers to keep up the good fight.

I hope this idea can see light.

Being in a database is the exact thing were fighting against. No thanx. I will just do what I do.

C4L burned that bridge. i will not "join" Any groups ever again. I will just do what I do.

Yep. We all are individuals and not going to follow anybody other then ourselves. We have many common goals, with as many different answers.

eleganz
02-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Being in a database is the exact thing were fighting against. No thanx. I will just do what I do.

C4L burned that bridge. i will not "join" Any groups ever again. I will just do what I do.

Yep. We all are individuals and not going to follow anybody other then ourselves. We have many common goals, with as many different answers.

Though I somewhat agree and I would not want to be part of an abused database system, we cannot look down upon the power of social media, online statistics to help show our real numbers in strength. When you try to encourage new supporters and they don't believe the amount of people that have been opening their eyes, let them see for themselves from thousands, to tens and hundreds of thousands to millions and millions of followers, statistics like that will give them the solid proof they need to "believe" that Ron Paul is electable, because, believe me... that is our biggest enemy, most agree with him but don't believe he can actually be voted into presidency. I hope you guys get what I'm saying here, think of the big picture. One of the most common arguements I hear about RP is that he is simply not electable, either through media bias, people who is too blind to see that the FED can be bad, people who don't see eye to eye with his non-interventionalist ways and so on...

That is as inspirational as it is ignorant. In the 07-08 campaign, there was no proper organization and communcation, everybody had their own little plan and spread the true-unified-power of the movement too thin.

I sense the refusal to conform to organization will be the ultimate downfall of this campaign. People get your act together, this is truly for the greater good but don't take my word for it, you'll see yourselves exactly how important it is.

Live_Free_Or_Die
02-27-2010, 04:24 AM
nt