PDA

View Full Version : Black Caucus throws roadblock in front of 'tax-cut' $15 billion job-creation bill

bobbyw24
02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
By Walter Alarkon - 02/25/10 09:22 PM ET

Congressional Black Caucus members are dismissing a $15 billion jobs bill as inadequate, forcing House leaders to rethink their plan to vote on the measure Friday.

Leaders of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) told Democratic leaders Thursday that they didn't support a measure they saw more as a "tax bill" than a bill that will create jobs.

"I'm offended that it's been called a jobs bill," CBC Vice Chairman Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.) told reporters. "I will not stand up in the district that I represent... and say we just did a jobs bill. I think people are smarter than that. This is a tax cut bill and a little piece of a transportation bill."

CBC members join House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar (D-Minn.) and other infrastructure advocates in withholding their support for the measure, which passed with 70 votes in the Senate on Wednesday and which House leaders wanted to pass before the weekend.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/83859-black-caucus-throws-roadblock-in-front-of-tax-cut-15-billion-jobs-bill

TheEvilDetector
02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I think its best to look to private sector for job growth than government. Government should step out of the way and let people create prosperity.

jmdrake
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Too bad 5 of them weren't in the senate so the whole thing would be derailed even with Scott Brown's vote.

Koz
02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but it sounds like they want to make it bigger.

jmdrake
02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, but it sounds like they want to make it bigger.

True. But a blocked bill is a blocked bill. ;) Anyway if they hold fast in the house and make that bill so expensive that Scott Brown has to back down that would be good too. But then again maybe it wouldn't matter for him. :(

Stary Hickory
02-25-2010, 11:50 PM
This is absurd, the Black Caucus is insane. What does a jobs bill look like exactly? Is it just free money giveaways? There is no such thing as a "jobs" bill. Jobs are not created by the government, at least not productive ones.

It's like the politicians are in candy land up there. Let's legislate more jobs! Yes we can!