PDA

View Full Version : Real News

CurtisLow
10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
I wanted to let you know about The Real News, a plan to build the world's first global independent news network - without funding from governments, corporations or advertising. Check out their site at http://www.therealnews.com.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
how can I be apart of it?

inibo
10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
It looks like a pretty good idea. I don't know that they are going to be as unbiased as they promise, but it looks as though they are trying to test the idea of a free market in ideas. I'll probably check in on them from time to time with cautious optimism.

Tina
10-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Wonderful!! Nice site by the way.

RP4ME
10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
It looks like a pretty good idea. I don't know that they are going to be as unbiased as they promise, but it looks as though they are trying to test the idea of a free market in ideas. I'll probably check in on them from time to time with cautious optimism.

Yes I dont see how they are unbiased, rather they are the counter to teh NEOcons.....and that doesnt necessarily = accuracy......

But i like the spirit of it and will follow along. Nice to have an aternative

0zzy
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
take my idea hoe?! TAKE MY IDEA!
lol jk<3

inibo
10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Yes I dont see how they are unbiased, rather they are the counter to teh NEOcons.....and that doesnt necessarily = accuracy......

But i like the spirit of it and will follow along. Nice to have an aternative

I think the "Global Warning" thing is kind of a tip off to their general orientation, but if they are willing to actually do research and devote time to stories that don't get Old Media coverage they will be performing a valuable service. I'm a big fan of NPR despite their obvious leftist bias--an intelligent person can see past that--because they quite regularly devote 10 or 15 minutes to a single story and actually provide context for what they are covering. At first glance Real News appears to be a private NPR. It is an intriguing idea.

Syren123
10-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I saw their website when they were first putting out the word.

However. It remains to be seen whether it will be fair and unbiased. Until then...

wakejumpin
10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
i don't know how it can be unbiased with such emphasis on global warming..

kalami
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
From what I gathered they're essentially an old media model based around their version of what "real news" is, with a donation revenue-model. Doesn't "Democracy Now" purport to do the same thing as them? I don't see them surviving unless they find a niche, like Democracy Now, and play to that niche. They might be more precise with their reporting but there isn't any way they're going to be unbiased.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-08-2007, 05:43 AM
how about libertarian views?