PDA

View Full Version : American Thinker: Who Will Lead the TEA Party? - By Mike Church and Larrey Anderson

Cowlesy
02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/who_will_lead_the_tea_party.html

Mr. Church and Mr. Anderson take a look back at the original players in the American revolution. You had Statesmen that the king ignored, but also young patriots who probably were the ones throwing tea into Boston Harbour.

One thing I would take away from the piece is the importance of local government. We need to support our friends that are trying to get on city councils, or state legislatures...heck even school board.

What kinds of people can we expect to step up as actual candidates from the new grass roots movement, the TEA Party? The original Boston Tea Party ignited the first American Revolution, and a comparison with how the leaders of that crusade emerged[i] might prove to be instructive.

For our purposes, the captains of the founding of the United States can be divided into two groups:

1) Those Founders that served in some public capacity before the beginning of the American Revolution.

2) Those Founders that became politically active after the Revolutionary War.

(Keep in mind that the American Revolution was kicked off by the various Committees of Correspondence (COC) that first appeared in 1772. More than a decade lapsed from the time the Declaration of Independence was issued in 1776 until the adoption of the Constitution in 1787.)

Let's begin with the senior leaders of the Revolution (#1 above). Many of these leaders were, in effect, local elected officials who grew weary of being ignored by the central government (the British Parliament).

When Virginia patriots, including Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Richard Henry Lee, and the little-known Dabney Carr met at the Raleigh tavern in Williamsburg on 3 March 1775 the idea for a "committee of correspondence" was hatched. (As we indicated above, similar committees had been previously used for mutual concerns.) Like today's Tea Partiers, these men were united in opposition to Parliament's usurpations of their liberties.

Much more at the link (http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/02/who_will_lead_the_tea_party.html)

Matt Collins
02-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Mike Church is awesome.

Pericles
02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
When I was in grad school read an interesting master's thesis on the founders and what led them to revolution.

They were men who as a group were achievers and thinkers, but were outsiders to the established political order.

So I was asked, was the revolution haves vs. have-nots?

Not in an economic sense, because the thesis went to detail in looking at the wealth of the existing political class compared to the founders. It was in a political sense of haves vs. have-nots, as the founders were never appointed to any positions of political influence under the crown.

This is how I see history repeating itself, the existing political class vs. those who have been locked out of the current political life.