PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Beck needs to explain his cavalier response to one of his callers.

johnwk
02-25-2010, 06:29 AM
On yesterday’s [2/24/10] radio show, a caller had called Glenn Beck and the subject drifted to changing the federal tax system. Glenn touted a flat income tax while the caller correctly pointed out income taxation is one of the planks of the communist manifesto. Glenn went on to challenge the caller as to what change he proposed. The caller suggested going back to our Constitution’s original tax plan.

At this point Glenn and his in-house sock puppet started berating the caller with laughter and mocking remarks, one remark being a suggestion we would have to hold “bake sales” to fund the cost of the federal government. The implication being our founding fathers were incompetent in the creation of our Constitution’s original tax plan, that it could not raise sufficient revenue, and we would need to have “bake sales” to supplement our founding father’s inadequate tax plan. Glenn and his sock puppet continued for several minutes with their disparaging remarks and a filibuster precluding the guest caller from responding and defending what he had suggested.

Well Glenn, let me be the first to inform you that our founding father’s original tax plan does provide sufficient taxing power to raise existing levels of revenue. But unlike your misplaced fascination with a flat income tax, our founding fathers tax plan, in addition to providing sufficient taxing power to raise existing levels of revenue, also provides mechanisms to encourage Congress to immediately reduce spending, which I thought was one of your stated goals.

The founder's taxing plan does this by having Congress, as a first means of raising a federal revenue, lay imposts and duties at our water’s edge ___ an example would be a nondiscriminatory tonnage tax on imported articles which eventually filters down to those who purchase the imports. In addition, our founding fathers also provided the power to lay inland excise taxes on specifically selected articles of consumption. Finally, if imposts, duties and miscellaneous excise taxes are found insufficient to finance the constitutionally authorized functions of our federal government and a shortfall is experienced, then a direct tax is to be laid among the States equal to the shortfall and each State’s share is to be apportioned, just as each state’s number of representatives are now apportioned. Our founding father’s fair share formula for this tax, considering subsequent amendments to our Constitution, may be expressed as follows:

States’ population

---------------------------- X SUM TO BE RAISED = STATE’S SHARE

Total U.S. Population

After computing each States apportioned share of the tax, each state’s Congressional Delegation is to return home with a bill in hand and place this burden in the hands of their Governor and Legislature, leaving them with this unwanted financial responsibility. Upon receiving their bill the Governor and State’s Legislature are to then transfer the state’s apportioned share from their state treasury into the treasury of the United States or raise additional taxes within the state and then transfer that money into the treasury of the united states to meet the state’s obligation. In the event a state does not meet its obligation in a time period set by Congress, the federal government is to then enter the state and lay and collect sufficient taxes to cover the amount due.

The unavoidable truth is, our founder’s tax plan provides sufficient taxing power to raise existing levels of revenue, but does so by creating a very real moment of accountability if members of Congress should have to bring home a bill because of their profligate spending habits, and this would encourage members of Congress to drastically cut spending in order to live within the means provided from imposts, duties and miscellaneous excise taxes on articles of consumption to avoid the apportioned tax.

Keep in mind, the apportioned tax also encourages every state Legislature and Governor to keep a jealous eye on the spending habits of its Congressional Delegation to avoid having to deplete the State’s treasury.

I know Glenn has a couple “advisors” feeding him all sorts of information, one of which has probably panhandled the flat income tax as a solution. I suggest Glenn research and take note of our founding father’s solutions, and have confidence in them, as their tax plan created the economic circumstances for America to become the wealthiest and most powerful nation on the planet when it was followed! We don’t need no stinking income tax which keeps the federal government’s iron fist around the necks of America’s businesses, industries and working class people.

Check out this brief summary of our founding father‘s ORIGINAL TAX PLAN (http://townshipnews.org/?p=1360)

Regards
JWK

“…a national revenue must be obtained; but the system must be such a one, that, while it secures the object of revenue it shall not be oppressive to our constituents.”___ Madison, during the creation of our Nation’s first revenue raising Act (http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=llac&fileName=001/llac001.db&recNum=55)

Bruehound
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Beck is intellectually weak and a fraud.

Let him fade away.

dean.engelhardt
02-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I didn't know people were still listening to him.

pacelli
02-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Glenn Beck lost me at hello.

fatjohn
02-25-2010, 07:24 AM
next thing you know he invites paul and starts making fun of him, i'm tellin' ya. It's all a big scam, luring in the freedom folks and leading them to palin like sheep.

MelissaWV
02-25-2010, 07:39 AM
If we had to hold bake sales to fund the Government, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

First off, the Chinese would get cookies and cakes rather than the paper they're currently stock-piling. Yum! Of course, they'd be in a diabetic coma by now, but still...

Second, perhaps actually having to put in so many hours' work into "funding" things would make people start to really reconsider whether it's worth funding. You know, this is what good parents do with their kids. You want that $200 of designer clothing? Okay. You're going to have to work x hours. Work?! Hmm! Those $30 jeans are looking better and better than the $200 ones.

Third, at least people value their baked goods and their personal work in that case. People have gotten numb to the size of the debt. Putting it in tangible terms might help out.

kahless
02-25-2010, 07:43 AM
I didn't know people were still listening to him.

johnwk's post is exactly what we should be doing. We cannot ignore Beck since the sheep are following him in mass. He has the one of the highest rated shows on all of cable and beats all other cable news programs except for Bill O. (even though he is only on at 5pm). He beats the combined ratings of all MSNBC and CNN programs from 8-10pm.

It is therefore imperative we call him out on his bullshit so he does not lead the sheep right into the hands of progressive Republicans.

Dustancostine
02-25-2010, 09:17 AM
If we had to hold bake sales to fund the Government, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

First off, the Chinese would get cookies and cakes rather than the paper they're currently stock-piling. Yum! Of course, they'd be in a diabetic coma by now, but still...

Second, perhaps actually having to put in so many hours' work into "funding" things would make people start to really reconsider whether it's worth funding. You know, this is what good parents do with their kids. You want that $200 of designer clothing? Okay. You're going to have to work x hours. Work?! Hmm! Those $30 jeans are looking better and better than the $200 ones.

Third, at least people value their baked goods and their personal work in that case. People have gotten numb to the size of the debt. Putting it in tangible terms might help out.

:D

jmdrake
02-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Back in 2008 someone suggested that the government could be run by "chip ins". I actually think that's a good idea. Have a website where every federal agency could solicit funds for whatever it is they want. The military wants to buy some new jets? Have a chip in. The department of education wants money for inner city computers? Have a chip in. The same websites could be used for department heads to give detailed accounting of how the money was actually spent. They would be forced to lobby the American people instead of lobbying congress.

That said, Ron Paul pointed out back in 2008 that if we could reduce the size of government to 1990 levels.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=199

The Case Against the Income Tax

Could America exist without an income tax? The idea seems radical, yet in truth America did just fine without a federal income tax for the first 126 years of its history. Prior to 1913, the government operated with revenues raised through tariffs, excise taxes, and property taxes, without ever touching a worker's paycheck. In the late 1800s, when Congress first attempted to impose an income tax, the notion of taxing a citizen's hard work was considered radical! Public outcry ensued; more importantly, the Supreme Court ruled the income tax unconstitutional. Only with passage of the 16th Amendment did Congress gain the ability to tax the productive endeavors of its citizens.
Yet don't we need an income tax to fund the important functions of the federal government? You may be surprised to know that the income tax accounts for only approximately one-third of federal revenue. Only 10 years ago, the federal budget was roughly one-third less than it is today. Surely we could find ways to cut spending back to 1990 levels, especially when the Treasury has single year tax surpluses for the past several years. So perhaps the idea of an America without an income tax is not so radical after all.
The harmful effects of the income tax are obvious. First and foremost, it has enabled government to expand far beyond its proper constitutional limits, regulating virtually every aspect of our lives. It has given government a claim on our lives and work, destroying our privacy in the process. It takes billions of dollars out of the legitimate private economy, with most Americans giving more than a third of everything they make to the federal government. This economic drain destroys jobs and penalizes productive behavior. The ridiculous complexity of the tax laws makes compliance a nightmare for both individuals and businesses. All things considered, our Founders would be dismayed by the income tax mess and the tragic loss of liberty which results.
America without an income tax would be far more prosperous and far more free, but we must be prepared to fight to regain the liberty we have lost incrementally over the past century. I recently introduced "The Liberty Amendment," legislation which would repeal the 16th Amendment and effectively abolish the income tax. I truly believe that real tax reform, reform that so many frustrated Americans desperately want, requires bold legislation that challenges the Washington mind set. Congress talks about reform, but the current tax debate really involves nothing of substance. Both parties are content to continue tinkering with the edges of the tax code to please various special interests. The Liberty Amendment is an attempt to eliminate the system altogether, forcing Congress to find a simple and fair way to collect limited federal revenues. Most of all, the Liberty Amendment is an initiative aimed at reducing the size and scope of the federal government.
Is it impossible to end the income tax? I don't believe so. In fact, I believe a serious groundswell movement of disaffected taxpayers is growing in this country. Millions of Americans are fed up with the current tax system, and they will bring pressure on Congress. Some sidestep Congress completely, bringing legal challenges questioning the validity of the tax code and the 16th Amendment itself. Ultimately, the Liberty Amendment could serve as a flashpoint for these millions of voices.

I wish this thread was made a sticky for all of the people who think Glenn Beck only differs with Ron Paul on foreign policy!

American Idol
02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I accidentally caught some of his television show on Fox News yesterday. It's been months and months since I've seen it. The guy is clearly mentally off his rocker, and I don't say that lightly. The geeky facial expressions, the feminine voice inflections...he used to be somewhat entertaining, and now he just comes across as sad and almost creepy. He gives me the willies. Shiver.

Mike4Freedom
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I havent watched or listened to his show in months now. He has proven himeself to be a fraud.

jmdrake
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
johnwk's post is exactly what we should be doing. We cannot ignore Beck since the sheep are following him in mass. He has the one of the highest rated shows on all of cable and beats all other cable news programs except for Bill O. (even though he is only on at 5pm). He beats the combined ratings of all MSNBC and CNN programs from 8-10pm.

It is therefore imperative we call him out on his bullshit so he does not lead the sheep right into the hands of progressive Republicans.

Well everyone doesn't have to watch his crap to boost his ratings. Maybe if there was one site that YouTubed each show and provided critical analysis? Call it BeckWatch.org? Or maybe neoconwatch.org to cover the whole lot. (Beck, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity, etc).