PDA

View Full Version : Federal Reserve and Saddaam Hussein Allegations

Taco John
02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
By now everyone has seen the video. When they're out there calling Dr. Paul a kook, here is the article to refer them to, and ask them who is the kook here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/14/opinion/follow-the-money.html?pagewanted=1

Follow the Money
By Martin Mayer
Published: January 14, 2004

SHELTER ISLAND, N.Y.— It has been exactly one month since President Bush announced the capture of Saddam Hussein. American officials interrogating Mr. Hussein are obviously interested in what he knows about illegal weapons programs in Iraq, human rights violations and other crimes. Whether he will cooperate remains to be seen.

But there is another line of questioning officials might pursue -- one that depends less on the cooperation of Mr. Hussein than on the assistance of the United States Federal Reserve Bank. Among Mr. Hussein's possessions when he was captured was three-quarters of a million dollars in United States currency in crisp new bills. Whence came the gentleman's stash?

Answering this question would help our understanding of terrorist financial networks. And if the cash is sequentially numbered, as is likely, then the question could be easily answered.

All United States currency is printed by the United States Mint, to the order of one of the 12 banks of the Federal Reserve system. It comes into circulation through a bank that has an account at the Fed for which it was printed. The Fed deducts the face value of the bills from that account, and an armored car takes them to their new owner.

That regional Federal Reserve Bank keeps a record that identifies the purchasing bank. And the purchaser knows how it disposed of the bills. When they are found all together, it means that the bank that bought the bills did not feed them out from the teller window or the cash machine, but delivered them to a single customer.

And the bank knows who that customer was. Between, say, Philadelphia and Iraq, there is no doubt a chain, perhaps involving banks in the Cayman or Channel Islands, in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. Still, each bank in the chain can give the name of the customer to which it gave these bills.

Although Saddam Hussein's government had many sanctions against it, it may well be that no laws were broken in the passage of the Federal Reserve notes from the mint to Tikrit. But it would be interesting to know which banks were collaborators in getting that cash to the tyrant of Iraq.

Unfortunately, the search for these witting or unwitting collaborators cannot even get started, because the Federal Reserve Board will not permit regional banks to reveal the identity of the purchasers of large blocks of United States currency. There is no law that prohibits such disclosure; it's simply a Fed policy. Yet in this age of payroll services and electronic payments, there are few legitimate uses outside the banking system for very large orders of hundred-dollar bills.

The Fed has always resisted placing American banks under obligation to reveal skulduggery, whether it involves drug smuggling, commercial fraud, terrorism or other international conspiracy. Banks are not, the Fed insists, law enforcement agencies. It may be that the F.B.I. has access to the Fed's records -- a spokesman for the Fed, after checking with the main office, would not say yea or nay -- but it is not clear that the F.B.I. has authority to continue such searches beyond American borders.

The Fed's manual on the Bank Secrecy Act still says that ''know your customer'' rules, while desirable, are ''not presently required by regulation or statute'' -- though the Patriot Act has spawned some rules on the identification of new customers. At any rate, the manual says rather mysteriously, such rules ''should not interfere with the relationship of the financial institution with its good customers.''

Senators Charles E. Grassley and Max Baucus, chairman and ranking member, respectively, of the Finance Committee, complained to the Treasury Department last year that not enough has been done to keep the financiers of terrorism from paying their bills through the American financial system. Perhaps Congress should tell the Fed to release its hold on information about which banks supply the bundles of cash that facilitate international crime.

Drawing (Drawing by Tim Lane)

Martin Mayer, a guest scholar at the Brookings Institution, is author of ''The Fed.''

sofia
02-24-2010, 10:54 PM
same with Watergtae burgalars...sequential bills

http://dailypaul.com/node/126933

Taco John
02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Here we go. Here is a Wall Street Journal article that has all the ammo. This is the chip that Dr. Paul was playing:

http://www.livemint.com/2008/06/05234505/Greenspan-and-all-that-is-wor.html

Taco John
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Wall Street Journal:

Greenspan, and all that is worng with the Fed

Until the US Federal Reserve took the unprecedented step of financing the purchase of Bear Stearns Companies Inc.by JPMorgan Chase and Co. in March,criticism of the central bank was largely confined to its conduct of monetary policy. The institution itself usually got a pass. Lone voices that dared to knock theFed were drowned out by its supporters in the financial community—the very bankers the Fed regulates.

One of those lone voices, US representative Henry Gonzalez, came from the Lone Star State. Neither the power of the Fed nor the near-mythic status of its longtime chairman, Alan Greenspan, deterred the late Texas populist.

As chairman of the house banking committee from 1989 to 1994, he relentlessly pressed for public scrutiny of what he called a secretive agency wielding enormous power, writes Robert D. Auerbach in his convincing first-hand chronicle of Gonzalez’s battle, Deception and Abuse at the Fed.

Auerbach, who teaches at the Lyndon Baines Johnson School of Public Affairs of the University of Texas at Austin, did two stints as a staff member of the house banking committee. His time there spanned four Fed chairmen: Arthur Burns, G. William Miller, Paul Volcker and Greenspan.

None of these chairmen comes off well here. Greenspan, “the master of garblements”, fares the worst. His “skill in presenting imprecise, sometimes near-meaningless, conflicting, yet learned-sounding views won him over-the-top adulation for his insights and abilities”, Auerbach writes.

These evasions and deceptions allowed Greenspan to avoid accountability, which is the thrust of Auerbach’s critique. The Fed has 19 decision makers—seven governors in Washington and 12 regional bank presidents. They are accountable to no one.

Auerbach sees a clear conflict of interest in the Fed’s role as bank regulator. He should know. While at the banking committee, he says he helped uncover how the Fed used banks to lobby against legislation it didn’t like, claiming new laws would curb its independence—“the all-purpose banner that could be waved to shield Fed officials from accountability”, he says.

Some of the conflict was baked into the Fed cake from the beginning. Commercial bankers elect two-thirds of the directors at the Fed banks, as required by the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. The upshot? “The Fed is regulating the very people charged with regulating it,” Auerbach writes.

Like his former boss, Auerbach is on a mission for more glasnost at the Fed. “Unelected Fed decision makers should not be given carte blanche to decide what the public should know about how they are running the central bank,” he writes.

Students of the Fed will recall the 1993 Gonzalez probe that produced the disclosure, after 17 years of denial, that the rate-setting Federal open market committee (FOMC) kept verbatim transcripts of its meetings. (At the time, Greenspan said “a staff member jogged my memory” about the existence of the records.)

Other deceptions and abuses are less well known. Drawing on court papers, Fed records and other official documents, Auerbach shows how the central bank stonewalled a congressional investigation into the $6,300 (Rs2.68 lakh today) found on the Watergate burglars in 1972; downplayed embezzlements of cash from the Fed’s vault; reported inaccurate currency activity at a Fed bank branch in Los Angeles; and allowed $5.5 billion to be sent to Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein from an Atlanta branch of an Italian bank.
Auerbach has some suggestions for how to make the Fed conform to democratic standards. For starters, FOMC should publish transcripts of its meetings within 60 days, not with the current five-year lag, he says.

All Fed governors and regional bank presidents should be appointed by the US president and approved by the Senate, he adds. Restrictions on government auditing standards audits of the Fed should be lifted. The Fed should also stick to monetary policy and leave bank regulation to a separate entity.

The US is currently considering a major reorganization of its antiquated system of financial regulation in the wake of the subprime mortgage crisis. What better time to let a little sun shine on the Fed?

Bloomberg

http://www.livemint.com/2008/06/05234505/Greenspan-and-all-that-is-wor.html

Taco John
02-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Deception and Abuse at the Fed
Henry B. Gonzalez Battles Alan Greenspan's Bank

Click here to buy the book (http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/auedec.html)

By Robert D. Auerbach

The Federal Reserve—the central bank of the United States—is the most powerful peacetime bureaucracy in the federal government. Under the chairmanship of Alan Greenspan (1987-2006), the Fed achieved near mythical status for its part in managing the economy, and Greenspan was lauded as a genius. Few seemed to notice or care that Fed officials operated secretly with almost no public accountability. There was a courageous exception to this lack of oversight, however: Henry B. Gonzalez (D-TX)—chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services (banking) Committee.

In Deception and Abuse at the Fed, Robert Auerbach, a former banking committee investigator, recounts major instances of Fed mismanagement and abuse of power that were exposed by Rep. Gonzalez, including:

Blocking Congress and the public from holding powerful Fed officials accountable by falsely declaring—for 17 years—it had no transcripts of its meetings;
Manipulating the stock and bond markets in 1994 under cover of a preemptive strike against inflation;
Allowing $5.5 billion to be sent to Saddam Hussein from a small Atlanta branch of a foreign bank—the result of faulty bank examination practices by the Fed;
Stonewalling Congressional investigations and misleading the Washington Post about the $6,300 found on the Watergate burglars.

Auerbach provides documentation of these and other abuses at the Fed, which confirms Rep. Gonzalez's belief that no government agency should be allowed to operate with the secrecy and independence in which the Federal Reserve has shrouded itself. Auerbach concludes with recommendations for specific, broad-ranging reforms that will make the Fed accountable to the government and the people of the United States.

Robert D. Auerbach was an economist with the U.S. House of Representatives Financial Services Committee for eleven years, assisting with oversight of the Federal Reserve. Today he is Professor of Public Affairs at the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs at the University of Texas at Austin.

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/auedec.html

johngr
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Where's the video?

devil21
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Where's the video?

The video from yesterday's Financial Services Committee hearing when RP brings these things up is all over the forum. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233240

Here's a little more I found on Watergate:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAwatergate.htm

Anyway, all seven of us in McCord's army walked up to the Watergate complex at midnight. McCord rang the bell, and a policeman came and let us in. We all signed the book, and McCord told the man we were going to the Federal Reserve office on the eighth floor. It all seemed funny to me. Eight men going to work at midnight. Imagine, we sat there talking to the police. Then we went up to the eighth floor, walked down to the sixth--and do you believe it, we couldn't open that door, and we had to cancel the operation.

I don't believe it has ever been told before, but all the time while we were working on the door, McCord would be going to the eighth floor. It is still a mystery to me what he was doing there. At 2:00 a.m. I went up to tell him about our problems, and there I saw him talking to two guards. What happened? I thought. Have we been caught? No, he knew the guards. So I did not ask questions, but I thought maybe McCord was working there. It was the only thing that made sense. He was the one who led us to the place and it would not have made sense for us to have rooms at the Watergate and go on this operation if there was not someone there on the inside. Anyway, I joined the group, and pretty soon we picked up our briefcases and walked out the front door.

It appears the Fed was used as a cover story to get into the building and this McCord fellow had some inside connections with the building. There's no mention that I see but I assume one has to have credentials of some sort to visit the Fed office in the Watergate complex at midnight.

catdd
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
This isn't the same 5.5 billion but it's the only video I can find that's close..

YouTube - Waxman $12 Billion in cash lost in Iraq. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_kskdHCOiI&feature=player_embedded)

malkusm
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd really love to post that WSJ article, if only "wrong" wasn't spelled "worng." Or is this intentional? :confused:

someperson
02-25-2010, 05:48 PM
That article may actually be from Bloomberg:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=azJ3IDPrjLiE

I like this quote, as it's very timely:

Auerbach sees a clear conflict of interest in the Fed's role as bank regulator. He should know. While at the Banking Committee, he says he helped uncover how the Fed used banks to lobby against legislation it didn't like, claiming new laws would curb its independence -- ``the all-purpose banner that could be waved to shield Fed officials from accountability,'' he says.

I'm starting to think that Dr. Paul's ulterior motive for bringing up those topics was to draw attention to the findings in this book. I couldn't find the article on the WSJ, but maybe someone else can :)