PDA

View Full Version : Advice to Ron Paul on how to answer Questions

SamuraisWisdom
02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
http://rawstory.com/2010/02/fox-news-runs-damage-control-ron-paul-wins-cpac-presidential-straw-poll/

Watch the video at the bottom of this page from CNBC, it's about 13 minutes long. When he gets asked about foreign policy decisions on Iran he goes off on this tangent on China that if you weren't used to hearing him answer questions, you'd have no idea what he was talking about. Now keep in mind, you and I understand what he's saying and in a round about way it makes sense, but to someone who hasn't heard his positions before or doesn't listen to him speak all that often it comes off as scattered and incoherent. This turns people off to what you're saying.

So my advice to Ron: Please! Anticipate the questions you will receive and prepare straight forward, coherent answers that people can understand. Also, though history is important, we don't always need a history lesson to come with every answer to a question. Sometimes a shorter answer is more effective than a long drawn out one.

Anyone have their own advice? Post it here. Hopefully if Ron decides to run in 2012 people in his campaign staff will notice threads like these and pass it on.

TCE
02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
He was in rare form during the recent 14th District Debate. He has gotten worse as time has gone by, but he really owned that debate. We need more of that Dr. Paul.

acptulsa
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Easier said than done.

When you're bucking 'the system' on the basis of it doing more harm than good, I don't know what you can back it up with besides historic precedence. Perhaps what is needed is more exposure to history (which is actually very interesting stuff). That way, people won't just remember the dry, bullshit-laden textbook from pubic school and roll their eyes before they have a chance to learn from it.

If so, we might just be blessed enough to be able to repeat the best parts of it.

Meiun
02-24-2010, 06:45 PM
lol at thread title.

Ron's head is SO FULL of facts, so full of the truth that sometimes it just all leaks out. Although to the average listener it makes him sound like he's nuts, to the observant this "tangent" becomes the stuff of legend.

It is these tangents that got me to wake up from the neocon trance. I suggest we let the good Dr. continue to cure us of apathy.

acptulsa
02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Lot to be said for, if it ain't broke don't fix it. He has indeed awakened a lot of people!

SamuraisWisdom
02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
lol at thread title.

Ron's head is SO FULL of facts, so full of the truth that sometimes it just all leaks out. Although to the average listener it makes him sound like he's nuts, to the observant this "tangent" becomes the stuff of legend.

It is these tangents that got me to wake up from the neocon trance. I suggest we let the good Dr. continue to cure us of apathy.

See that's my point. Yes, if you are smart and a good listener (and patient), you will learn a lot from what Paul has to say. But a lot of what he says goes over most people's heads. So instead of educating people and "waking them up", he alienates them and in turn they ignore him. The average voter is just as important as the educated/intelligent voter because in the end, everyone's vote counts as 1.

acptulsa
02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
See that's my point. Yes, if you are smart and a good listener (and patient), you will learn a lot from what Paul has to say. But a lot of what he says goes over most people's heads. So instead of educating people and "waking them up", he alienates them and in turn they ignore him. The average voter is just as important as the educated/intelligent voter because in the end, everyone's vote counts as 1.

There's a lot to be said for the argument that collectivists can herd the sheep, but the libertarians must sell liberty to each individual in a different way.

I believe the thing that's working best for us is when Dr. Paul comes up with the brilliance, and we find the way to sell that to the individual in front of us and let him or her see his or her personal advantage and potential personal benefit in supporting us. It ain't the kind of instant gratification you get when you successfully push the crowd's buttons and get them yelling, but it does seem to make us friends for life.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that Dr. Paul is doing what he does, and I'm glad. If you can find a way to energize masses of people all at once with the advantages of freedom, hey, get to running for your own office, damn it!

SamuraisWisdom
02-24-2010, 07:06 PM
There's a lot to be said for the argument that collectivists can herd the sheep, but the libertarians must sell liberty to each individual in a different way.

I believe the thing that's working best for us is when Dr. Paul comes up with the brilliance, and we find the way to sell that to the individual in front of us and let him or her see his or her personal advantage and potential personal benefit in supporting us. It ain't the kind of instant gratification you get when you successfully push the crowd's buttons and get them yelling, but it does seem to make us friends for life.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that Dr. Paul is doing what he does, and I'm glad. If you can find a way to energize masses of people all at once with the advantages of freedom, hey, get to running for your own office, damn it!

If it's so brilliant, then we shouldn't have to sell it. If people understood it, there shouldn't be a need for effort from us for them to understand. Ron Paul is a smart man, there is no doubt about that, but if he wants to turn more people to his cause he's going to have to tighten up his speeches and formulate his answers.

If you watched that clip (which it's 13 minutes long so I'm guessing most who've responded haven't yet) then you'd notice that the anchors were laughing when he was responding. The interview wasn't a hit piece, CNBC clearly isn't out to get RP. They were laughing because to most people he wasn't making sense and was going off on some crazy tangent that had nothing immediate to do with the question asked. That's what happened to him in '08 and that's what will happen again in '12. Part of advancing your cause is learning from your mistakes. If Paul can't shore up his answers and his thoughts then he will be treated the same way he was 2-3 years ago.

Meiun
02-24-2010, 07:08 PM
NO! I absolutely disagree with the OP's premise. See, this isn't about Ron answering questions in an intellectually tickling manner. This is Ron teaching us how the mind of America is to be awakened.

We talk alot about politics and election cycles here, about how to position and correct answers (talking points), even weigh who is and is not viable for office in this or that seat... all of which distracts from the fundamental change, the paradigm shift, that MUST occur in this great country if the USA as envisioned by the founders is to survive.

The only way that we will see a change back toward the vision of the founders in our lifetimes is if WE as individuals begin to communicate mind to mind, person to person, utilizing LOCALISM as the basis of our work.

Most Americans are RIPE for the harvest. They eagerly await the truth, but in order for this truth to prevail those of us who are currently awake must do the work of the harvest. Get out there and teach, one person at a time.

Ron's work is nearing its end. He has done a lifetime of seed planting, and his harvest is coming in full. The way he answers questions during a national interview is not designed to cultivate. He is giving us seeds. WE then take these messages to those in waiting.

SamuraisWisdom
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
NO! I absolutely disagree with the OP's premise. See, this isn't about Ron answering questions in an intellectually tickling manner. This is Ron teaching us how the mind of America is to be awakened.

We talk alot about politics and election cycles here, about how to position and correct answers (talking points), even weigh who is and is not viable for office in this or that seat... all of which distracts from the fundamental change, the paradigm shift, that MUST occur in this great country if the USA as envisioned by the founders is to survive.

The only way that we will see a change back toward the vision of the founders in our lifetimes is if WE as individuals begin to communicate mind to mind, person to person, utilizing LOCALISM as the basis of our work.

Most Americans are RIPE for the harvest. They eagerly await the truth, but in order for this truth to prevail those of us who are currently awake must do the work of the harvest. Get out there and teach, one person at a time.

Ron's work is nearing its end. He has done a lifetime of seed planting, and his harvest is coming in full. The way he answers questions during a national interview is not designed to cultivate. He is giving us seeds. WE then take these messages to those in waiting.

Ok, then we can keep doing what we're going because obviously it's working. My point is to help Ron further his political career. I'm talking about a 2012 run.

disorderlyvision
02-24-2010, 08:03 PM
yeah, I am sure Ron Paul needs your advice on how to answer questions. How long has he been at this like 30 years...

SamuraisWisdom
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah, I am sure Ron Paul needs your advice on how to answer questions. How long has he been at this like 30 years...

But he's only been in the public spotlight for 3 years. There's a huge difference giving written speeches in front of Congress and getting elected repeatedly in a heavily Republican district than talking to a national audience on live television.

Fr3shjive
02-24-2010, 08:44 PM
I think OP makes a good point. Obviously you're not going to a objective opinion from anybody on this forum but I agree that there are things that Dr. Paul could improve on in order to be able to get his point across better.

I agree with pretty much every thing Paul says I think he might want to condense it for your average joe who has the attention span of a 3 year old.

silus
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
http://rawstory.com/2010/02/fox-news-runs-damage-control-ron-paul-wins-cpac-presidential-straw-poll/

Watch the video at the bottom of this page from CNBC, it's about 13 minutes long. When he gets asked about foreign policy decisions on Iran he goes off on this tangent on China that if you weren't used to hearing him answer questions, you'd have no idea what he was talking about. Now keep in mind, you and I understand what he's saying and in a round about way it makes sense, but to someone who hasn't heard his positions before or doesn't listen to him speak all that often it comes off as scattered and incoherent. This turns people off to what you're saying.

So my advice to Ron: Please! Anticipate the questions you will receive and prepare straight forward, coherent answers that people can understand. Also, though history is important, we don't always need a history lesson to come with every answer to a question. Sometimes a shorter answer is more effective than a long drawn out one.

Anyone have their own advice? Post it here. Hopefully if Ron decides to run in 2012 people in his campaign staff will notice threads like these and pass it on.
Wow.

My advice to you. Let Ron be Ron.

The last thing he needs is an entire thread full of people trying to advise him on how to do the most basic thing in human communication! The man is a ten term congressman, ran for president twice... It just sounds rude and awkward. And that thread title...

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
during the last election my boss comented on paul answering a few questions and how he "whined and rambled" to long. I can see the OPs point. My boss is a pretty smart man and if he thinks that then who knows what the average person thinks and hears.

although i love paul for the very reasons the op is making this thread. honest answers are most of the time not like "everyone elses" same old pattern in debates.

silus
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
during the last election my boss comented on paul answering a few questions and how he "whined and rambled" to long. I can see the OPs point. My boss is a pretty smart man and if he thinks that then who knows what the average person thinks and hears.

although i love paul for the very reasons the op is making this thread. honest answers are most of the time not like "everyone elses" same old pattern in debates.
1. Not being a front-runner makes it almost natural for people to dismiss your message straight away.

2. I would argue that your boss was hearing Paul, he was not listening. And the fact that he emphasized the feeling or impression he got of Paul vs. the actual message, it sort of proves it.

3. His whining and rambling seems to have worked out somewhat.

4. Being "smart" is overrated.

Chester Copperpot
02-24-2010, 09:14 PM

For this movement to succeed, Ron Paul cant hold everybodys' hand.. People need to study.. They need to keep up..

All of us, should sufficiently dumb it down as best we can, to disseminate to our family, friends, coworkers, etc...

If individuals are too lazy to keep up with Ron, theyre going to fall by the wayside.

georgiaboy
02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Ron's what, 74 years old? C'mon, let Ron be Ron. He attracted me, he attracted you, even with his unpolished ways.

One of the most amazing things about this revolution has to do with the uniqueness of who its leader is & why (the integrity, the constancy, the message & principles), as opposed to the American Idol/Mainstream Political definition of what a leader ought to do & say, wear, etc.

The Bernanke/Paul Q&A recently was just one more example of how what this guy knows & says forces the listener to really think. Let others come along in Ron's wake and rephrase, simplify, sound-byte.

Knightskye
02-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Lord, I was born a ramblin' maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

brandon
02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
He was in rare form during the recent 14th District Debate. He has gotten worse as time has gone by, but he really owned that debate. We need more of that Dr. Paul.

is this debate posted online somewhere?

micahnelson
02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
OP is right and wrong at the same time. Amazing.

Yes, Ron Paul rambles. Yes, most people don't pick up on it right away. No, he doesn't have slick polished answers....

.... but thats mainly because you can't be truthful, giving complete answers, and still be slick.

Id rather him be honest and genuine than be slick and polished. He does his role well, our job is convincing other people.

One of the reasons we like him so much is because it is impossible to duplicate or fake what he does. You know he is genuine because no political coach would tell him to act that way.

pacelli
02-25-2010, 07:43 AM

No, I don't have any advice for Ron Paul. I have a feeling that Ron is doing the best he can. If it isn't good enough, then he's going to deal with the consequence. Ron's a big boy, and if he needs to repeat himself and go on tangents to answer a simple question, then there must be a reason for it. Perhaps Ron just wants to educate people, kind of like he did in 2007-2008.

MelissaWV
02-25-2010, 08:00 AM
If we really want Dr. Paul to get good advice on how to answer questions slickly and garner votes, perhaps we should ask someone really, really popular for their speaking abilities... like Obama.

Seriously, that is precisely what this whole thread is about: making Dr. Paul answer in a more winning way. The trouble is, if you're speaking that way, you're reducing your intellectual arguments to half-true soundbites. You're pointing your finger, setting your jaw, pausing dramatically, and booming your voice with conviction... about nothing. You're interjecting a joke when you could really be addressing a pressing issue. Of course, if you choose to address that pressing issue, you're going to be seen as not having a sense of humor. Too old. Too white. Too male. Too smartypants. Too fringe. Not fun. Let's vote for someone else ra ra ra.

"The People" do like their mainstream candidates, but the answer is not to polish up Dr. Paul (or someone else) into some Trojan Horse and ship them to the White House, at least imo.

acptulsa
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
If it's so brilliant, then we shouldn't have to sell it. If people understood it, there shouldn't be a need for effort from us for them to understand.

E=m(c squared) is pretty damned brilliant. Works, too. Put it in a nutshell for me, willya? Kthx.

acptulsa
02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
That said, I certainly can't deny that I agree with you:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=87115