View Full Version : A war-fevered crackdown to come - Wilson lessons to Bush

Juan McCain
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
"The Presidency in Wartime: George W. Bush discovers Woodrow Wilson"
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/09/hbc-90003638

Some excerpts:

At his December 7,1915, State of the Union Address to Congress,
Wilson was hinting at the war-fevered crackdown to come:

". . . we are without adequate federal laws to deal with it. I urge you to enact
such laws at the earliest possible moment . . .
Such creatures of passion, disloyalty, and anarchy must be crushed out."

"In the atmosphere of Wilsonian hysteria, not only were left-wing militants with foreign names arrested and deported;
so, too, were legally elected representatives to Congress and state legislatures denied their seats."

" . . . perhaps no president has entered the White House with a less altruistic vision of foreign affairs
or of war-making than George W. Bush."

In his October 3,2000, campaign debate with Vice President Al Gore, Bush portrayed himself as an anti-Wilsonian:
" . . . The vice president and I have a disagreement about the use of troops.
He believes in nation building. I would be very careful about using our troops as national builders."

"Whatever his learning curve, after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001,
Bush largely reinvented himself as the direct heir to Woodrow Wilson, minus some of the rhetoric about international cooperation."

"Following Wilson, Bush has used his rhetoric of freedom to launch an aggressive assault on freedom in the United States—
including the most important amendments in the Bill of Rights—in order to dampen dissent against the Iraq War as much as to fight terrorism."