PDA

View Full Version : Politico asks Morning Joe's Willie Geist about Ron Paul/Curling analogy

Knightskye
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1002/geist_curling_ron_paul.html

3:55 in the video.

:)

KramerDSP
02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Would you mind capping why that guy compared Ron Paul to curling?

someperson
02-24-2010, 08:01 PM
The general idea was that when a person first goes to a Ron Paul speech or convention, they are usually expecting the worst, but soon, they're completely into what's going on. He equates this experience to those who watch curling for the first time (I guess) ;)

gls
02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
The general idea was that when a person first goes to a Ron Paul speech or convention, they are usually expecting the worst, but soon, they're completely into what's going on. He equates this experience to those who watch curling for the first time (I guess) ;)

I've been watching curling the entire Olympics (it is practically the only event they show) and I still have no idea how it works. Every time I think I have it figured out something strange happens where the opposite team than I assumed gets a point or victory. It doesn't help that the announcers act like everyone tuning in is automatically an expert.

KramerDSP
02-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks. Curling is fascinating, even though I don't understand it. That's probably a good analogy for a lot of people being introduced to RP when you think about it.

dannno
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I've been watching curling the entire Olympics (it is practically the only event they show) and I still have no idea how it works. Every time I think I have it figured out something strange happens where the opposite team than I assumed gets a point or victory. It doesn't help that the announcers act like everyone tuning in is automatically an expert.

Well you can compare that to the limited knowledge people have of our actual foreign policy, instead all they know is the propaganda from TV.. just like most people know the rules of shuffleboard, so they automatically think they know the rules of curling.. the entire time not understanding what is happening.

satchelmcqueen
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
i like knurling

evilfunnystuff
02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
i like knurling

me too as long as i have a good knurler it sucks when ya get a sticky one

Jaykzo
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Listening to this really put a smile on my face.

Two years ago, I would have never ever believed that Paul would get such casual, positive coverage. He's practically a household name in the political world now.

The Revolution certainly made its voice heard. I pray we don't quiet down any time soon- we've come far in just two measly years.

liberalnurse
02-25-2010, 04:35 AM
I loved it. "Ron Paul Curling." At first you make fun cause you don't understand it and then you end up embracing it. Great analolgy. Again Willie Geist another Morning Joe person. I remember when he covered the Rally and he was surprised at how much fun he had and was positive in his report and didn't allow anyone to take any digs.

Knightskye
02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A6H2QKFDL._SS500_.jpg

Lol.

LittleLightShining
02-27-2010, 01:32 PM
UtahApocalypse and I totally get it ;)

Liberty Stud
02-27-2010, 09:36 PM
RP is getting more and more mainstream love every day.

dude58677
02-28-2010, 10:37 AM
I have been a curler the last 3 years in Pittsburgh.

Danke
02-28-2010, 11:09 AM
I have been a curler the last 3 years in Pittsburgh.

Congratulations. Admission is the first step.

Don't Tread on Mike
03-01-2010, 02:18 AM
im not gonna lie, but that analogy describes exactly how i felt with both ron paul and curling.

Knightskye
03-02-2010, 03:05 AM
im not gonna lie, but that analogy describes exactly how i felt with both ron paul and curling.

I'm not going to lie, that story about Washington and the cherry tree isn't real.

SimpleName
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM

I feel your pain. At some point I will look up the entire rules. I will be prepared in 2014! It seems like a game that started very simple, but then people wanted it to become a big thing, so they started pumping in nonsense. Either that, or it originated in Europe. They are just too "sophisticated" for simple games.

They really need to cut down on it. There is non-stop coverage it seems. If it isn't curling, it is hockey or figure skating. The events I really enjoy pop up at random and at the worst times (noon usually).

And yeah, those frickin commentators act like we all know what is going on. We only see the game every 4 years for about 2 weeks. How are we supposed to understand it? It seemed like it was going by a tournament too, but there was never a ladder or anything to go by so you could actually follow which team was where.