PDA

View Full Version : Media: Ron Paul Republicans incompatible with other Republicans

Matt Collins
02-24-2010, 01:16 PM
http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2010/02/24/discuss-2/

Standard-issue Republicans and Ron Paul libertarians are as incompatible as two factions can be.

Toureg89
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
there are degrees of compatibility imo.

but the majority of (R)s seem to be RINOs and NeoCons

FrankRep
02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
CPAC: "Conservatism" at the Crossroads - Ron Paul vs. the Neoconservatives

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233252

This year's Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) highlighted two contrasting views of conservatism — the constitutionalists whose most famous standard-bearer is Ron Paul and the big-government neoconservatives represented by the likes of Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich. By William F. Jasper

Juan McCain
02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Pat Buchanan : "anti-Wilsonian conservatives are growing in strength and they will be represented in the politics of 2011/2012.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/35528614#35528614

Chris Matthews : "the neocon conservatives and the "churchy" conservatives aren't there anymore"

Less government and the imperial view of American foreign policy . . . ?
It is impossible for the neocon GOP to reconcile the dichotomy of that ideology - Bush-Cheney proved it.

therepublic
02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
The Article says:
There's a major political fraud underway: the GOP is once again donning their libertarian, limited-government masks in order to re-invent itself and, more important, to co-opt the energy and passion of the Ron-Paul-faction that spawned and sustains the "tea party" movement.

But that GOP limited government rhetoric is simply never matched by that Party's conduct, especially when they wield power. The very idea that a political party dominated by neocons, warmongers, surveillance fetishists, and privacy-hating social conservatives will be a party of "limited government" is absurd on its face. There literally is no myth more transparent than the Republican Party's claim to believe in restrained government power. For that reason, it's only a matter of time before the fundamental incompatibility of the "tea party movement" and the political party cynically exploiting it is exposed.

Read more at the link that gives the full story. http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/02/21/libertarianism/index.html

It tells much more that the synopsis at the original post. In other words it is only a matter of time (which I hope we have) before the Tea Party members discover how much they are being duped by the Republican Party. Some already know, but unfortunately most do not yet know.

Juan McCain
02-24-2010, 02:32 PM
. . .
Read more at the link that gives the full story. http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/02/21/libertarianism/index.html
. . .

Thanks for the full article link . . .

but the OP link is to a - Discuss that it is "Resolved" page . . . uggh - already resolved I guess.

Resolved:
"Standard-issue Republicans and Ron Paul libertarians are as incompatible as two factions can be."

therepublic
02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes McCain. But my point is that the Tea Party is so much closer to Ron Paul than they realize, and they are closer to Ron Paul than to the Republican Party than they think. Do we wait until they finally figure out they are being duped by the Republican Party., or meanwhile do we work to help them see how the war machine is contrary to a limited government, and all the last wars have been unconstitutionally declared???? This is something they do not yet grasp.

It would be foolish to squander such an opportunity as this one that has risen so unexpectedly.

MMXII
02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
It's really about Ron Paul republicans vs the establishment republicans. The establishment is too entrenched with lobbyists from all sectors; military, banks, energy and drug companies. Fox news is also plays nice with the establishment and backs away from Ron Paul especially on his foreign policy stance. It really does come down to influence both in DC and for that matter with the media. It's pretty obvious to me anyway.

therepublic
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
It's really about Ron Paul republicans vs the establishment republicans. The establishment is too entrenched with lobbyists from all sectors; military, banks, energy and drug companies. Fox news is also plays nice with the establishment and backs away from Ron Paul especially on his foreign policy stance. It really does come down to influence both in DC and for that matter with the media. It's pretty obvious to me anyway.

True. Is there any way around the forces that oppose it. I mean look how far this movement has come so far from nothing more than a grass roots organization. I understand the discouragement, but what is the alternative...do nothing?

MMXII
02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
I have no guage for how much support there is out there for the Ron Paul republican message. I think that the more you see the establishment running towards Ron's message indicates that the message is resonating with a large segment of the population. That'll be the 1st sign of success. It happened during the last presidential election when establishment candidates started using the word "constitution". And of course now, the word constitution is en vogue among the establishment. It has come a long way, very true. At some point though grassroots has to become mainstream and I haven't figured out how exactly that hapens.

Juan McCain
02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
. . . my point is that the Tea Party is so much closer to Ron Paul than they realize, and they are closer to Ron Paul than to the Republican Party than they think.

It would be foolish to squander such an opportunity as this one that has risen so unexpectedly.

Notice how they still after 2007/2008 - as in the OP linked Discuss page -
they won't want to consider Ron Paul a Republican - but rather make the label as a small letter "l" libertarian.

They have to get that sound-bite style phrase out there - that he is somehow not a "standard-issue" Republican.

RP had tried to dispel this label in the campaign - sometimes having to defend that he is really the true Republican - limited governement and no nation building.

My only point is really that we have to start to emphasize - like Buchanan started on Hardball -
an anti-Wilsonian foreign policy is very Republican - it is really a core Republican value -
and this distinction is really over half a century old at least.

Old timer Republicans and the casual young observers both -
they hear that sound bite style quote - and it is oh, well Ron Paul - he's not really a Republican . . .
and that is what they take away.

Getting the message out . . . trying to make this distinction clear in the face of some/many in the media and press.
Correct them . . . they will learn.

Captain Shays
02-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Notice how they still after 2007/2008 - as in the OP linked Discuss page -
they won't want to consider Ron Paul a Republican - but rather make the label as a small letter "l" libertarian.

They have to get that sound-bite style phrase out there - that he is somehow not a "standard-issue" Republican.

RP had tried to dispel this label in the campaign - sometimes having to defend that he is really the true Republican - limited governement and no nation building.

My only point is really that we have to start to emphasize - like Buchanan started on Hardball -
an anti-Wilsonian foreign policy is very Republican - it is really a core Republican value -
and this distinction is really over half a century old at least.

Old timer Republicans and the casual young observers both -
they hear that sound bite style quote - and it is oh, well Ron Paul - he's not really a Republican . . .
and that is what they take away.

Getting the message out . . . trying to make this distinction clear in the face of some/many in the media and press.
Correct them . . . they will learn.

Blame Democrats
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233259

Juan McCain
02-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Blame Democrats
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=233259

Well yeah on many things.

But for the "libertarian and not really a Republican" label . . . ?

Rush or maybe Hannity (as a Faux News GOP debate co-anchorman) may have been the start -
Wolfe Blitzer STILL does it - will do it every interview until God knows when . . .

Chris Matthews "Hardball" sorta still does it . . . maybe is kinda getting it better more with Pat Buchanan on as a regular to keep him straight.

"Morning Joe " Scarborough - as a former U.S. Congressman - does seem to distinguish this well on air when interviewing Ron Paul.

Eventually, it should start making the Wolfe Blitzers look like morons if they still continue to use that -
as everyone else in the world starts to refer to the Taft/Goldwater/Reagan/Ron Paul "anti-Wilsonian" Republicans - an old core value.