PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's Age

Slutter McGee
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
We know this is going to be a factor, even though it probably shouldn't. I was trying to think of the best ways to combat this in the next election. Any ideas?

The one thing I can think of is for him to pledge to serve only one term. Although I would want him for more than one term, it might help negate irrational fears that he is to old, as well as encourage traditional conservatives to vote for him.

What do yall think?

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

ctiger2
02-24-2010, 12:01 PM
http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/is-ron-paul-too-old-to-run-for-president/

Is Ron Paul too old to run for president?

He will be 77 in the year 2012.

Consider; Charles de Gaulle was president of France at the age of 79. Some say he was the greatest modern leader in French history.

Ditto for Konrad Adenauer, declared by many to be the greatest chancellor of the German Republic in its modern history. Compare him to Helmut Kohl, for example, who presided over the reunification of Germany and was in the process of a Shakespearian moment, with greatness thrust on him, only to self implode in the midst of a tawdry, greedy scandal. Adenauer served Germany with wisdom and class until the age of 87.

Remember, the last “old” president America had was Ronald Reagan, who left office at 78.

Nor is old age the end of creativity. Michelangelo began his monumental work as architect of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome at age 71. By age 89, the year of his death, he was still at it.

This is a concept of biblical power. Moses first saw the vision of freeing the Israeli slaves at age 80. He finally brought them to the Jordan River at the age of 120.

Well, but you say, shouldn’t Ron Paul be able to enjoy his retirement? Doesn’t his wife, who has been ill, deserve to have some time with him, all to herself? And his children? And grandchildren?

That depends on whether they want to have him dead or alive. If he retires, his lifespan will shrink accordingly. If he has a vision, if he seeks the presidency, he will probably live longer. And what a romance, what an adventure, it would be, both as a couple and as a family.

Age is not the problem. Getting the issues right and having the courage to take a stand is the problem. And Ron Paul has proven to be up to both.

Coming Up: How he could pull it off.

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
We know this is going to be a factor, even though it probably shouldn't. I was trying to think of the best ways to combat this in the next election. Any ideas?

The one thing I can think of is for him to pledge to serve only one term. Although I would want him for more than one term, it might help negate irrational fears that he is to old, as well as encourage traditional conservatives to vote for him.

What do yall think?

I think pledging to serve one term simply draws more attention to the age issue and concedes to the critics that they have a point. It leads to this question: If he won't be competent to serve a second term, then maybe he won't be competent to finish the first, either.

Bruno
02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
"77 is the new 60"

Ethek
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
"77 is the new 60"

Love it.

Elwar
02-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I just realized as I was driving past blue hairs here in Florida that Ron Paul's age is about the only way he will win here in Florida.

Not because the old folks will vote for him because he's their age...but because we can capitalize on every attack on his age and put it in front of them. They will vote for him out of spite for those who would attack him for being old.

So...save those attacks, archive them, we will use them here in God's waiting room.

Baptist
02-25-2010, 09:07 AM

What do yall think?

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

I would like for him to announce his choice for vice president rite away. Somebody younger, who holds the same views as Paul, and who has no baggage.

TonySutton
02-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I think his current ability to run and think circles around people half his age is proof enough that he will do well.

Slutter McGee
02-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I would like for him to announce his choice for vice president rite away. Somebody younger, who holds the same views as Paul, and who has no baggage.

Announcing at VP right away would eliminate a lot of our good choices for a general because they would hurt Dr. Paul in a primary. Gary Johnson would be my first choice, but his pro-choice views would likely hurt in a primary. Walter Williams is one of my top choices but he is about the same age as Dr. Paul.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

tnvoter
02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Senator Byrd - Dem is like 9000000000 years old so don't give me that age crap

Elwar
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
We do need to archive every attack on his age and highlight those attacks to seniors...

That's probably the best way to get the senior vote, especially if one of the other candidates points it out.

Show some clips from Logan's Run interspersed with "Ron Paul's too old" quotes.

Brian Defferding
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Will Ron's body be willing for him to travel around from day to day giving speeches like that? I understand he's kind of doing it now, but the demand as a Presidential candidate will increase that demand exponentially. It might be too much for him.

Slutter McGee
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Senator Byrd - Dem is like 9000000000 years old so don't give me that age crap

First off. Byrd is a senator, not someone running for president. Second off, I didn't give you crap. I gave you an argument that will be used against us. I said the argument was irrational but it is one that is going to be used anyway. So you can ignore the issue, but it won't make it go away.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Jordan
02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Ron Paul 2012: Freedom has no expiration date.

cajuncocoa
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM

What do yall think?

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

80 is the new 60. :D