PDA

View Full Version : Mea Culpa

Jonathon
02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Deleted.

jmdrake
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
My sympathy for Alex Jones' credibility is tempered by the fact that he bulldogged his way onto someone else's 2nd amendment rally, eschewed gracious offers by them to speak, and then called them "cointelpro" for calling him out on it. He should do a "mea culpa" on that, but he won't because his ego is too big.

That said, I agree with this part of your post.

Her first response should have been non-committal as a refusal to be baited: "It is irrelevant what I believe in regard to 9/11. It is immaterial to the issues facing Texas and to the platform I am campaigning on. Our supporters are of diverse opinions, demographics, and backgrounds, but we are united in the cause of liberty and the right of the State of Texas to exercise its autonomy under the 10th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States."

Her second response should have been to call Beck out: "Shame on you for attempting to derail the liberty train by isolating individuals and pitting groups against each other. I refuse to play that game of demagoguery as a "chilling effect" to intimidate the general public. It is insulting to the voters of Texas and your viewers. What is this anyway? An interview or the Inquisition?"

All those who were arguing for her to "just agree with whatever any neocon asks you to say on the issue as quickly as possible" did a disservice to Debra Medina and the liberty movement in general. She could have distanced herself from 9/11 truth without dissing 9/11 truthers. Why dis anyone? Alas that's not what happened and I still hope she pulls this out.

Original_Intent
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
My sympathy for Alex Jones' credibility is tempered by the fact that he bulldogged his way onto someone else's 2nd amendment rally, eschewed gracious offers by them to speak, and then called them "cointelpro" for calling him out on it. He should do a "mea culpa" on that, but he won't because his ego is too big.

That said, I agree with this part of your post.

Her first response should have been non-committal as a refusal to be baited: "It is irrelevant what I believe in regard to 9/11. It is immaterial to the issues facing Texas and to the platform I am campaigning on. Our supporters are of diverse opinions, demographics, and backgrounds, but we are united in the cause of liberty and the right of the State of Texas to exercise its autonomy under the 10th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States."

Her second response should have been to call Beck out: "Shame on you for attempting to derail the liberty train by isolating individuals and pitting groups against each other. I refuse to play that game of demagoguery as a "chilling effect" to intimidate the general public. It is insulting to the voters of Texas and your viewers. What is this anyway? An interview or the Inquisition?"

All those who were arguing for her to "just agree with whatever any neocon asks you to say on the issue as quickly as possible" did a disservice to Debra Medina and the liberty movement in general. She could have distanced herself from 9/11 truth without dissing 9/11 truthers. Why dis anyone? Alas that's not what happened and I still hope she pulls this out.

It's easy to craft the correct response after a week of consideration. She was caught flat-footed on a topic that I am sure she had no idea would be discussed.

Some good came out of it, I finally got over defending Glenn Beck, and won;t be making that mistake again until he does the right thing WHEN IT MATTERS, instead of talking the talk when it is irrelevant and then back stabbing us when there are real consequences.

Brian4Liberty
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM
YouTube - Debra Medina For Texas Governor Rap by Penny Langford Longfellow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDLk4Ln3Sxw)

Why is it that people always want to turn political events into extremely amateur American Idol contests? "Wow, I have a microphone in my hand, now's my chance to sing to a captive audience, and they can't even boo me!" :rolleyes:

MelissaWV
02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Why is it that people always want to turn political events into extremely amateur American Idol contests? "Wow, I have a microphone in my hand, now's my chance to sing to a captive audience, and they can't even boo me!" :rolleyes:

For many years, public speaking guides would recommend starting off a presentation with a joke, a song, or a play to get your point across. I kid you not. I don't think people ever outgrew this, and some folks don't realize that if you're there for a certain purpose, you want things to relate to that purpose, to accomplish goals, and to be overwith. You don't want to see something like this, which just generally makes most of the crowd feel really, really awkward.

Brian4Liberty
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
For many years, public speaking guides would recommend starting off a presentation with a joke, a song, or a play to get your point across. I kid you not. I don't think people ever outgrew this, and some folks don't realize that if you're there for a certain purpose, you want things to relate to that purpose, to accomplish goals, and to be overwith. You don't want to see something like this, which just generally makes most of the crowd feel really, really awkward.

Well, a few jokes are great, but singing?! Ay Caramba!

Here's another helping of awkward...jump to 1:30 to really cringe. One of many amateur songs at this rally:

YouTube - Tea Party Express Rally Walnut Creek, CA. Part 2 of 5. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGMaqLT3YNA)

jmdrake
02-24-2010, 01:51 PM
It's easy to craft the correct response after a week of consideration. She was caught flat-footed on a topic that I am sure she had no idea would be discussed.

Some good came out of it, I finally got over defending Glenn Beck, and won;t be making that mistake again until he does the right thing WHEN IT MATTERS, instead of talking the talk when it is irrelevant and then back stabbing us when there are real consequences.

Of course. I did not say otherwise and if you got that misunderstanding sorry for not being clear. From day one I have pointed out that Medina was "bushwhacked" by someone that she was lulled into believing was friendly to the cause of freedom. That said, from day one there were those who kept saying she needed to just "say what Glenn Beck wanted to hear". Well I think she eventually did that...and it ticked off part of her base. I'm not simply talking about Alex Jones. I'm talking about others that were complaining about the "despicable" comment before he went on a rant. My point is that if you are going to craft a response, you need to have one that is true to yourself and to your base and isn't just "tell the neocons what they want to hear". That said, I'm not mad with Medina.

michaelwise
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I suppose you could paint all liberty candidates into a 9/11 Truther Box, when you get right down to it. Neo-cons like Beck and Davis create the illusion they are for the Constitution and Liberty, when in reality, they are really just neo-con scorpions.

The Scorpion and the Fox
YouTube - The Scorpion and the Fox (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu44zAcqnXg)

Here's how they sting you.
Pose a Two Dimensional question to the candidate you oppose about 9/11 and make them give you a two dimensional answer. Paint them into the 9/11 Truther Box. The problem for the candidate is, the question requires a Three Dimensional answer. The audience is fooled and looked upon as two dimensional thinkers for the most part requiring a two dimensional answer. Not all audience listeners are stupid.

Making a blanket absolute statement about a subject as complex as 9/11 indicates you are a moron and your pattern indicates two dimensional thinking.