PDA

View Full Version : Doug Wead on CPAC

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Ron Paul Wins! (So who appears on Meet the Press?)

By Doug Wead

Texas Congressman Ron Paul handily won last Saturday’s CPAC presidential straw poll in Washington, D.C. It was an event that former Governor Mitt Romney had dominated in years past, but this time Romney wasn’t even close and neither was Palin, Huckabee or Gingrich.

So who did NBC invite onto Sunday’s Meet to Press to talk about it all? Answer? Minnesota Governor, Tim Pawlenty, who came in fourth place and won 6% of the votes. Another typical day for the Rodney Dangerfield of American public life.

Meanwhile, inside the beltway commentators, who in previous years touted a CPAC win as an important initiation rite for any future GOP nominee, were quick to explain to us dummies that the Ron Paul victory was unimportant. The Washington Post’s favorite blogger warned us to “be careful.” We were told “not to read too much — or much at all — into these results.”

During live coverage of the CPAC event Fox News commentators were endlessly apologetic, explaining how Ron Paul accidently won the vote, apparently embarrassed that they were covering an event where he would triumph.

But no matter how deep the denial of the American media you can be sure that Ron Paul’s victory sent shock waves through the rest of the American establishment. While it is unlikely that anyone at the Federal Reserve has actually started the process of shredding documents the idea has surely crossed some minds. And young staffers at the Justice Department may have asked, “Can the government seize our e-mails? Hold on a minute, we are the government.” Some fat billionaire bankers on Wall Street had chest pains Saturday night. Others wondered aloud if they shouldn’t petition the Obama administration for another bailout while there is still time. (To save the country, of course.)

A tiny few savvy political literates actually paused and took note of the fact that Ron Paul won this with actual votes of ordinary convention attendees. And young ones at that. Always a bad sign. And he did it without hiring the people who did the voting, as Romney had done in years past. And so a few, not many, but a few are considering a worst case scenario. What if he does this at the Iowa Cavalcade? Another small universe that usually precedes a win at the caucus. And then maybe New Hampshire. Egad, what if someone like him actually wins the presidency?

Such a worst case scenario could mean an end to American wars abroad and fat war profits for favored insiders at home. An end to young men sacrificed on foreign battlefields to assure re-election victories for incumbent presidents. An end to the draining the US Treasury for political supporters. An end to cronyism, where billionaires give soft money, get positions and honors and favorable laws in return and after it’s all over, offer their private jets to whisk the former president around the world at their expense. Imagine Lew Rockwell as Secretary of Commerce and Judge Andrew Napolitano as Attorney General and you get the idea.

Now some of these elitist rich Americans, the ones whose wealth has been fattened over the years by our diminishing IRA’s and other retirement vehicles, are big owners of media stock. Some actually sit on the boards of those media entities, as well as the banks that we all now work for and for which our children and grandchildren will also work for throughout their lifetimes. So you can imagine the dilemma at NBC.

“Should we get Ron Paul for Meet the Press?”

“Are you kidding me? Are you nuts? Isn’t your dad on the board of directors? He would have a fit if we did that. Gregory won’t want that. Tim Russert would never have allowed that.”

“Yes, but Ron Paul won the CPAC election.”

“Doesn’t matter. He wouldn’t win an election in our newsroom or anybody else’s, I can tell you that.”

“But maybe we should have him on and expose his idiotic ideas? A little overexposure and we kill the whole thing?”

“That’s what they did in the 2004 presidential debates and it was the biggest, most moronic, most asinine mistake they ever made. Don’t you get it? The people in this country actually agree with Ron Paul. How do you think he won at CPAC without buying the votes? Listen kid, you’ve got to think ‘Lord Voldemort.’ He who cannot be named.”

“Oh my God.”

“What? What are you looking at? Brian Williams? What did he say? Did he mention Ron Paul by name? Did I just hear his name?

“Oh my God.”

“Come on kid. Doesn’t matter. What could he do? I mean Ron Paul won. So it just slipped out. Now, snap out of it. Who will Gregory want? What would your daddy want? Focus. If it’s Sunday it’s Meet the Press.”

“Sarah Palin?”

“Born again Christian. And she won’t do it anyway.”

“Mike Huckabee?”

“Another born again Christian, and he’s on FOX remember?”

“Mitt Romney?”

“We’ve had him on five times now.”

“Hmmm, how bout Tim Pawlenty?”

“Perfect kid. Someday you will make a great television producer. Okay, we’ll see if Gregory wants Tim Pawlenty.”

2010 CPAC Straw Poll Results
Ron Paul 31%
Mitt Romney 22%
Sarah Palin 7%
Tim Pawlenty 6%
Mike Pence 5%
Newt Gingrich 4%
Mike Huckabee 4%
Mitch Daniels 2%
John Thune 2%
Rick Santorum 2%
Haley Barbour 1%http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/ron-paul-wins-so-who-appears-on-meet-the-press/

I've been eagerly awaiting Doug Wead's response to Ron's CPAC win all week--I don't know how I missed it yesterday.

EDIT: Because I was misspelling "Wead" in my searches, that's why. Sorry for the duplicate thread.

CaseyJones
02-24-2010, 09:17 AM
:D

GunnyFreedom
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
he just tweeted this story again, LAWS at the comments. I tweeted Wead about that character Tex:
@dougwead1234 LOL at Tex -- God forbid that the GOP attract young, energetic, passionate conservatives who work well as a team #tcot

dr. hfn
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
http://battleofneworleans2010.com/

speciallyblend
03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
dam good article!!