PDA

View Full Version : Explaining why polls aren't accurate

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 02:56 PM
In another thread people were discussing how some people are unwilling to donate to Ron Paul because of his low poll numbers. I've heard a lot of simplistic rhetoric why the polls are inaccurate but think this is a better analysis taking into account a number of factors:

http://www.counterpunch.org/price09202004.html

You might wish to get some talking points from this article to use on reluctant donors and voters.

Bradley in DC
10-07-2007, 03:10 PM
There is, of course, a variety in the quality of different polls and differnt types of polls. I've posted on this a lot. The scientific online polls show what we know: most people don't follow politics and don't even know who Dr. Paul is or why we need him to save our country (yes, how exasperating can you get!). Go door-to-door for Dr. Paul, you'll see.

That said, among those who DO know who he is and understand his policies, we do much better. Just look at the online and straw polls! Those do a better job of measuring the depth of Dr. Paul's support and our enthusiasm.

So, that means we need to keep spreading the word! :)

Liberty
10-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Pollsters are hampered because they can't reach a population that will guarantee accurate results. It is unfortunate, criteria from these polls are used to determine who gets invited to events such as debates. MSM reports on poll results constantly and can dramatically impact a campaign. Many young people and independents are out of reach of the pollsters. As a result, I believe Ron Paul and Obama have much higher poll numbers than are being reported. It would be a shame if people give up voting for their candidate because MSM reports they are polling low or don't stand a chance of winning. I know we won't.

paulitics
10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Pollsters are hampered because they can't reach a population that will guarantee accurate results. It is unfortunate, criteria from these polls are used to determine who gets invited to events such as debates. MSM reports on poll results constantly and can dramatically impact a campaign. Many young people and independents are out of reach of the pollsters. As a result, I believe Ron Paul and Obama have much higher poll numbers than are being reported. It would be a shame if people give up voting for their candidate because MSM reports they are polling low or don't stand a chance of winning. I know we won't.

but we can change that by winning an early state like NH. Nobody would second guess his chances then.