PDA

View Full Version : The story behind the boos at CPAC

Chieftain1776
02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
There's some question about how the boo's came about. While unfortunate it doesn't look like a set-up. Though some of the spin afterward was was coordinated (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33225.html).

Here's eye witness account (http://libertymaven.com/2010/02/23/the-anatomy-of-boo-ron-paul-at-cpac/9069/) by an RPF member:

The Anatomy of Boo: Ron Paul at CPAC
from Liberty Maven » Liberty Maven: For Liberty, One Individual At A Time by Marc Gallagher

It’s been played over and over again by now. The large amount of “boos” Ron Paul received after the announcement of the results of the CPAC Straw Poll where he won with 31% of the vote. Not much has been explained about how or why someone who got this kind of support would be booed like he was. Here is my take.

These are the facts, I know because I was there.

1. Ron Paul’s keynote speech on Friday was the first speech in the main room to pack the house and require overflow seating in other rooms. He was welcomed with cheers as can be witnessed by watching the video of his speech. His supporters (31% apparently) had a chance to get into the main room to hear his speech.
2. Saturday, the Campaign For Liberty held a panel discussion that began at 2pm and didn’t end until nearly 4pm. By this time the line waiting to get into the main room was 8-10 deep and down the long hotel hallway. When I left the Campaign for Liberty panel I overheard a volunteer telling people in line that they would likely not get into the main room and should instead find an overflow room to watch the event.
3. CPAC sells Saturday-only tickets. A co-worker and his wife took advantage of this so they could see Ann Coulter, Newt Gingrich, and Glenn Beck. Many people, apparently, took advantage of this which left those that attended the conference all 3 days in overflow rooms.
4. Those that came on Saturday were not able to vote in the straw poll. The polling ended on Friday at 1pm.

So, those that were in the main ballroom during the straw poll announcement were mostly unfriendly to Ron Paul. I didn’t even know there were boos when they announced the results because in the overflow room I was in there were mostly cheers and clapping drowning out the boos from the main room.

It makes for a good story for the media, pointing out the boos, but if the room was full of Ron Paul supporters and Mitt Romney (or someone else) had won there would have been a large number of boos at the results.

Please note, I’m not suggesting that Ron Paul supporters were blocked from the main room on purpose. It’s just the way it ended up due to the logistics of so many people coming to CPAC on Saturday to listen to Glenn Beck, Coulter, and Gingrich. Most of these people were neo-conservatives antithetical to Ron Paul’s foreign policy of non-intervention who did not and could not vote in the straw poll.

It’s safe to say that if the panel at 2pm by the Campaign For Liberty called “Why Real Conservatives are Against the War on Terrorism” were held in the main room, the cheers would have drowned out the boos when the poll results were announced. Of course, Judging from the boos in the main room, there may have been a mutiny if the anti-war panel were held there.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

speciallyblend
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
thanks for update. the bottom line for the gop is if they continue ignoring reality they will alienate themselves!!! as a republican the gop only has one option left to save face with voters and republicans, nominate Ron Paul. my concern in 2010 is making sure our liberty colorado candidates win as republicans or dems and remove neo-con republicans from office!!! Liberty has no party, hold all elected officials accountable no matter the party!!!

Join Us or Die seems the only option the failed gop has left!! the gop has made their own bed!!

Jeremy
02-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I wasn't in the main room or the overflow rooms. There was a large group in the lobbies / halls surrounding the TV screens. Tons of people couldn't get into the main room. Especially Ron Paul supporters since CFL had events throughout the day and very few of us got in to the main room early. I agree... we didn't hear any boos because the cheering was so loud out there. Then everyone started chanting Ron Paul.

UtahApocalypse
02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Can we find ANYONE with video from the other rooms??

Jeremy
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Can we find ANYONE with video from the other rooms??

I think AdamT has some video of the lobby, ask him.