PDA

View Full Version : Age Requirement for being a Republican Delegate?

PBrady
02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
I've looked and looked and looked, but haven't found an answer. I finally caved and am registering as a Republican since it gives me the best chance at influencing local races. Seeing as one of those includes BJ Lawson, I feel it is advantageous to try and make some headway within the party. At 20, I usually turn some heads at most Republican events. Tonight I signed up to possibly be a precinct delegate to the county convention, which in turn could lead me to be a state delegate, etc. I know it sounds like a pipe dream, but I think Republicans are so desperate to look like they are relevant (which helps if they can point to someone like a young delegate) that I could get fairly far along on economic issues alone (which are far easier for them to reconcile than social or foreign).

As I mentioned though, I'm not sure if this is at all possible due to my age. Does anyone know of any requirement?

brandon
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
You only have to be 18 to be a national delegate. I'm not sure if states have their own age requirements for state delegates or not. I don't think they do. I ran for RNC delegate in '08 at the age of 23. I lost. :(

Isaac Bickerstaff
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The GOP is scrambling to get young people involved right now. If you are under 40, you are almost guaranteed to be elected as a delegate to district or state.
However, if you are under 40, "They" will get nasty to prohibit you from going to the national convention.

dgr
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
In NC all you have to do is go to the county convention, sign up to be a delegate to the state convention. Then go to the district convention. That's all you have to do to go to the state, register GOP, pay for dinner at the county convention, district is free, and state delegate cost depends on how many extra events you want to go to. Be sure to attend the platfourm vote at the state convention. But let me tell you getting to be a delegate to the national convention takes connections and MONEY.

When at the county meeting be sure to find you precincint chairman, not all the assistant or lesser positions are filled

PBrady
02-23-2010, 08:58 AM
This is all good info to know.

@Isaac - yeah, I pretty much figured that being a national delegate is WAYYY out of my league for the time being. It is good to know, though, that someone else confirmed my prediction of them swallowing up young people to seem relevant.

@dgr - are you in NC/a delegate? Just wondering who I would be able to expect to see there.

Also, didn't realize that there was the district convention in between county and state.

brandon
02-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Also, didn't realize that there was the district convention in between county and state.

It depends on your state. Every state chooses delegates differently. Non caucus states such as PA do not have any conventions at all.

Juan McCain
02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
In the 2008 Iowa GOP caucuses. . .
and do check other states - AND the parties - which may have similar rules . . .

you had to be 18 at the time of the general election in November 2008.

So, you could have been 17 with your birthday coming up to have participated in the caucus votes on January 5 of 2008 . . .

btw, different from your question -
you could have technically been 16 shortly going on 17 to vote in the August 2007 Iowa GOP Straw Poll -
just as long as you were 18 by election day November 2008 some 15 months later.

I was a credential checker at a table at the GOP straw poll held on the Iowa State campus in Ames - that was the rule for voting.

The actual state delegates are selected from the precinct caucus voters in Iowa - (I was selected to the June state convention from a U Iowa campus area precinct)
and so if the caucus/primary were held 11 months before the election, you could have been 11 months short of 18 to start in the long delegate process.

Check local party rules f'r sure . . . youth energy is welcomed in the Grand Old(Ole) Party !