PDA

View Full Version : What about Gary Johnson for President (or VP) in 2012?

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:08 PM
YouTube - Former NM Gov. Gary Johnson's Vision For a Truly Free America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFeh7DHHbkI)

Here is his 501c:
http://ouramericainitiative.com/

Flash
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
He needs to be a running mate for Ron Paul.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Honestly...... he's younger and he is good on the stump. He may be a better Liberty candidate:
YouTube - Our America - Drugs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsowQ0hE9gA&feature=player_embedded)

YouTube - Our America - Civil Liberties (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoeV6z4IUM&feature=player_embedded)

More videos where he gives his views via his website.

akforme
02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
for everything I've seen I like him.

Flash
02-22-2010, 10:19 PM
YouTube - Gary Johnson 2012: Meet Gary Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSao9_JiIXc)

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Johnson is great, but miles behind Dr. Paul.

After a Ron Paul presidency we will have, at the very least, competing currencies, no income tax, troops home from more than a hundred countries. I doubt we will get that with Johnson. I expect at best some reduction and simplification of the income tax, and a hard-money Fed Chairman but without competing currencies.

A few years after Johnson, when the passion is out, you can expect the politicians to easily roll back all his changes, and we'll have the same fucking problems all over again. That's why we should make one last effort to elect Ron Paul.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Johnson is great, but miles behind Dr. Paul.

After a Ron Paul presidency we will have, at the very least, competing currencies, no income tax, troops home from more than a hundred countries. I doubt we will get that with Johnson. I expect at best some reduction and simplification of the income tax, and a hard-money Fed Chairman but without competing currencies.

A few years after Johnson, when the passion is out, you can expect the politicians to roll back all his changes, and we'll have the same fucking problems all over again. That's why we should make one last effort to elect Ron Paul.

Tell me how he is miles behind? The dude is more Dr. No than Dr. No and he is more Liberty based than anyone I've seen that's held high elected office. Plus he's proven he can win a statewide race in a Democrat state.

TCE
02-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Tell me how he is miles behind? The dude is more Dr. No than Dr. No and he is more Liberty based than anyone I've seen that's held high elected office. Plus he's proven he can win a statewide race in a Democrat state.

He'll never win and his scandals will distract from our message. Look at his personal life over the last 10 years or so, it is not good. I know that has nothing to do with policy, but in America, personal life matters more than policy.

dr. hfn
02-22-2010, 10:27 PM
extremely boring and dull speaker, not exciting, nowhere near as informed or educated about the issues as Dr. Paul.....

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM

He is not for abolishing the Income Tax. As far as I've heard, he is not for abolishing the Fed or having competing currencies.

In his CPAC speech he claimed the "the public good trumps individual greed'. What the fuck? That's communist nonsense. It shows his inconsistency. Don't get me wrong, if Ron Paul chooses not to run he is the best candidate. Otherwise, he'll probably be RP's VP if he wins. Lastly, I don't think Johnson has the contagious passion of Dr. Paul.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:31 PM
He'll never win and his scandals will distract from our message. Look at his personal life over the last 10 years or so, it is not good. I know that has nothing to do with policy, but in America, personal life matters more than policy.

Scandal? He got divorced? Rudy had like 3 wives so far and is a catholic and was a frontrunner till Ron took him out.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
extremely boring and dull speaker, not exciting, nowhere near as informed or educated about the issues as Dr. Paul.....

Dull Speaker? Not exciting? You guys are sounding like Obama supporters. Also, how do you see him as not as informed?

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Lastly, I don't think Johnson has the contagious passion of Dr. Paul.

How do you gauge this?

TCE
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Scandal? He got divorced? Rudy had like 3 wives so far and is a catholic and was a frontrunner till Ron took him out.

He was the psuedo-front runner. There is a huge controversy of whether he cheated on his wife while she was dying. I have heard numerous accounts all different. He is unmarried, if I am correct, which the public doesn't like.

low preference guy
How do you gauge this?

By listening to both of them speak. Just look around. Ron Paul Forums, Daily Paul, the blimp, all the internet polls, the CPAC win, arose spontaneously from people INSPIRED by Dr. Paul.

TCE
How do you gauge this?

Ask yourself: Who gets you more excited about the cause of liberty? For me, it's Ron Paul all the way.

0zzy
02-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Dull Speaker? Not exciting? You guys are sounding like Obama supporters. Also, how do you see him as not as informed?

ah...when is the last time someone elected a dull speaker? 1920s when Harding died Calvin was in office, thats how he got reelected.

If you want to run for public office, you have to communicate! Be a great communicator !

cpike
02-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Name Recognition. You can throw him on as a running mate, get his name out there so he could run for President in 2016. This is assuming Ron, due to age, only serves one term.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:36 PM
He was the psuedo-front runner. There is a huge controversy of whether he cheated on his wife while she was dying. I have heard numerous accounts all different. He is unmarried, if I am correct, which the public doesn't like.

Those are rumors but, I think we are grown up now days to realize you don't have to be married to win. I have never heard he was cheating.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
ah...when is the last time someone elected a dull speaker? 1920s when Harding died Calvin was in office, thats how he got reelected.

If you want to run for public office, you have to communicate! Be a great communicator !

*Cough*GeorgeHWBush*Cough*

I guess you think Junior was eloquent.

TCE
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Those are rumors but, I think we are grown up now days to realize you don't have to be married to win. I have never heard he was cheating.

I have, from multiple people. I like him, I hoped he would run for Senate a few years back with the open seat, but he didn't. He really blew his political capitol.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
By listening to both of them speak. Just look around. Ron Paul Forums, Daily Paul, the blimp, all the internet polls, the CPAC win, arose spontaneously from people INSPIRED by Dr. Paul.

Yes Goldwater excited everyone then, Reagan was the one who got elected. Also, I'd contend that Dr. Paul's age will be a factor against him. Plus, he still has the papers. That is going to be around his neck running against a black President.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I have, from multiple people. I like him, I hoped he would run for Senate a few years back with the open seat, but he didn't. He really blew his political capitol.

Yeah? I'm not really around NM politics though. My aunt follows it and she really is behind him.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:41 PM

Also, FWIW, in the interviews and other things he does I find him a better communicator than most out there. I actually see his and Rand's delivery as the same.

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I don't think Ron Paul is going to have his campaign manager spread rumors that Mitt Romney just a black kid from some women a few days before the South Carolina election.

That makes no sense. We were talking about Johnson not being "exciting" speaker to you guys. But thanks for the Random 2000 campaign trivia. :D

As far as those that think he's a dullard I can't help you if you need someone to yell catch phrases to the crowd so often.

TCE
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah? I'm not really around NM politics though. My aunt follows it and she really is behind him.

Yeah, which concerns me if there is something there. Let's say he did, then we are in big trouble from a national perspective. The people of New Mexico like him, but nobody else knows him. Had he run for Senate a couple years back, he would have been great because New Mexicans like him. On a Presidential ticket, though, he has been out of office for nine years, not exactly someone who would have high name ID.

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
That makes no sense. We were talking about Johnson not being "exciting" speaker to you guys. But thanks for the Random 2000 campaign trivia. :D

As far as those that think he's a dullard I can't help you if you need someone to yell catch phrases to the crowd so often.

It makes sense if you think for a moment. The points is that George W. Bush won, despite being a bad speaker, because he used tactics that there is NOT A CHANCE IN HELL we are going to use.

dr. hfn
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Ron Paul/Judge Nap 2012!

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
It makes sense if you think for a moment. The points is that George W. Bush won, despite being a bad speaker, because he used tactics that there is NOT A CHANCE IN HELL we are going to use.

H.W. was not a great speaker. The other two were Democrats running against H.W. and the second against the f*** ups of W. Seriously, the cult of personality is big but, Gary Johnson has won bigger elections than Ron ever has.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, which concerns me if there is something there. Let's say he did, then we are in big trouble from a national perspective. The people of New Mexico like him, but nobody else knows him. Had he run for Senate a couple years back, he would have been great because New Mexicans like him. On a Presidential ticket, though, he has been out of office for nine years, not exactly someone who would have high name ID.

True. Both he and Dr. Paul have big mountains in front of them.

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 10:51 PM

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Cult of personality? What the fuck? When someone starts calling names is usually a sign that he ran out of arguments. For a second I thought I was reading from a fox-news commentator.

None of your examples apply because they are all from establishment candidates.

Actually when people start saying a candidate lacks passion or doesn't speak as well that's when we say they ran out of arguments.

Seriously folks, it's time to look around for a replacement for Ron. He'll be 78 when he'd take office (maybe 77) and that's getting up there. I love Ron and I wrote in for him. I have family members who voted for him in 1988. So, I again state that we need to be growing our ilk in the field. I want 3 "Ron Pauls" up for President in the party.

Also, the stuff that had to be done to get attention in 2008 has to somewhat be mellowed out. We have to come from intellectual side and gain ground to the Older base that is not for screaming "END THE FED" but still want to end the fed. It's still the GOP who gets you there and as much as the youth helps you the elderly are still a bigger block in the GOP.

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 11:04 PM
I guess I should say.... Follow the idea, not the man. Plus, Ron Paul is a latter day Barry Goldwater. This isn't exactly new ideas he's speaking.

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 11:07 PM

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 11:10 PM
I'd suggest you make a search on RonPaulForums with the term "Gary Johnson". I wouldn't be surprised if you mind more than 500 threads.

That's fine. I'm just worried this movement gets bogged down with a single candidate thought process when I want the Republican Debate to be about 3 or 4 Ron Paul/Gary Johnson/The Judge types and maybe 2 or 3 Huckabee, Romney types.

low preference guy
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM

BamaFanNKy
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
That consideration has also been debated, with I'd say people on the forum split almost evenly on whether it's good to have one or many liberty candidates on the debates.

It's always healthy to have a highly contested primary. I just want more chances to win those primaries.

It helps sharpen our candidates and helps us choose which will have the best portraying our message while vetting them.

0zzy
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Also, FWIW, in the interviews and other things he does I find him a better communicator than most out there. I actually see his and Rand's delivery as the same.

Rand seems better to me. He's so dreamy :).

Elwar
02-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I've been following Johnson and it appears that he's looking to move closer to the center from Ron Paul's positions. Less taxes instead of no taxes, look into the Fed and work toward a strong dollar instead of ending the Fed, legalize marijuana and treat the other drugs as medical problems instead of legalizing completely.

Two different campaign strategies. Ron Paul inspires people who get it to paint their cars and houses with his message. Gary Johnson is trying to grab a portion of the mainstream Republican who blindly listen to talk radio and feel that they are political experts because of it. It appears that he's trying to distance himself from the Alex Jones types and the like so that he won't be painted as a radical.

It is better to have him running so that he can draw a different audience than Ron Paul supporters, but in the end if he doesn't do well early on he can drop out and hand that audience over to Ron Paul. I've already heard plenty of people saying things like "He's like Ron Paul except he doesn't want us on the gold standard" (yes...those people vote too...).

I admit that I was disappointed that he's campaigning on a more mainstream message...but he does have the actions as governor that prove his libertarian credentials.

leipo
02-23-2010, 09:57 AM
He comes off as a gay person. I don't think the country is ready for that. Rand Paul is my choice for VP.

fisharmor
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Bottom line: he's pro-choice.
I don't care what his personal convictions are on the matter - nobody cared what Kerry said his personal convictions were on the matter, either. All that matters is what he pledges to do once he's in office. And what he would do is be pro-choice.
If you're pro-choice and running as a Republican, you're going to lose.
Period, end of story.

It's going to be hard enough to get the three sentences out that would be necessary to explain to these morons that 40 years of doing the same thing has gotten them nothing, and that Paul's state-by-state approach is a better option.

There's no way to defend Johnson, other than to have him pull a Romney and switch his position... in which case, he's not ideologically consistent, and he loses a bunch of the liberty votes.

Elwar
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Bottom line: he's pro-choice.
I don't care what his personal convictions are on the matter - nobody cared what Kerry said his personal convictions were on the matter, either. All that matters is what he pledges to do once he's in office. And what he would do is be pro-choice.
If you're pro-choice and running as a Republican, you're going to lose.
Period, end of story.

"He backs every piece of legislation we're for," says Dauneen Dolce, of the Right to Life Committee of New Mexico. That includes "parental consent," "informed consent," and bans on assisted suicide, partial-birth abortion, and Medicaid-funded abortion. Johnson didn't win the group's endorsement in 1994, but got it four years later.

A. Havnes
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd actually like for him to run alongside Dr. Paul. Why? Because the more liberty candidates we have to choose from, the less likely we'll get get a neocon. Not that I think Johnson is an amazing conservative, but he's better than what is normally churned out. Money bombs would be more difficult, but I think it would be better than having one liberty candidate.

Elwar
02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Money bombs would be more difficult, but I think it would be better than having one liberty candidate.

The whole point of the money bombs were to get the attention of the media that ignored him almost methodically. But they were tending to dwell on contribution numbers...so we gave them something they couldn't ignore.

I'm thinking they won't be ignoring Ron Paul as much this time around...though most likely spinning everything he does in the negative.

"Ron Paul ruins baby kitten's adventurous day in a tree when he climbs up and rips him from his natural habitat, man handling it, most likely with thoughts of a midnight snack on his mind."

RyanRSheets
02-23-2010, 10:55 AM
I think Gary should run alongside Ron and participate in the debates, but he's not going to get near the funding of Ron.

RyanRSheets
02-23-2010, 10:58 AM
He backs... bans on assisted suicide

Do not want. Obviously this is a very minor issue, but how can he believe in right to life if he doesn't believe in right to death?

Elwar
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM
Do not want. Obviously this is a very minor issue, but how can he believe in right to life if he doesn't believe in right to death?

From what I've seen, most pro-lifers aren't all that consistent when it comes to ending someone's life after they're out of the womb.

Brian Defferding
02-23-2010, 11:32 AM
I would love to support Gary Johnson for President. I think Ron, as much as I am an avid supporter of him, is too old to run. I think Ron should throw his support behind Gary Johnson.

jmdrake
02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Gary Johnson doesn't have good name recognition and is pro choice. Sure he for "giving abortion back to the states" but we've seen first hand how some more rabid pro lifers will take that and run with in by way of the Rand Paul race. And unlike the Paul's Johnson actually is pro choice on a philosophical level.

There's no way Gary Johnson can with the GOP nomination in my opinion.

http://cannabisnews.com/news/7/thread7965.shtml
PLAYBOY: Where do you stand on abortion rights?

JOHNSON: It should be left up to the woman. If my daughter were pregnant and she came to me and asked me what she ought to do, I would advise her to have the child. But I would not for a minute pretend that I should make that decision for her or any other woman.

PLAYBOY: But you have supported legislation that requires parental consent and signed a ban on partial birth abortions.

JOHNSON: I think the decision can be made at an earlier stage. That's why I don't support partial birth abortions. I realize it's a fine line, but I generally come down on a woman's right to decide.

PLAYBOY: Do you disagree that parental consent is problematic for teenagers who can't talk to their parents?

JOHNSON: I believe that parents ought to know. Where that can't occur, there needs to be a process in place, which we have in New Mexico.

Brian Defferding
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Gary Johnson doesn't have good name recognition and is pro choice. Sure he for "giving abortion back to the states" but we've seen first hand how some more rabid pro lifers will take that and run with in by way of the Rand Paul race. And unlike the Paul's Johnson actually is pro choice on a philosophical level.

JOHNSON: It should be left up to the woman. If my daughter were pregnant and she came to me and asked me what she ought to do, I would advise her to have the child. But I would not for a minute pretend that I should make that decision for her or any other woman.

PLAYBOY: But you have supported legislation that requires parental consent and signed a ban on partial birth abortions.

JOHNSON: I think the decision can be made at an earlier stage. That's why I don't support partial birth abortions. I realize it's a fine line, but I generally come down on a woman's right to decide.

PLAYBOY: Do you disagree that parental consent is problematic for teenagers who can't talk to their parents?

JOHNSON: I believe that parents ought to know. Where that can't occur, there needs to be a process in place, which we have in New Mexico.

His position is not much different at all from McCain's, and he still got the nom.

I think the one thing Gary has against him is his lack of charisma. Obama, as much as I hated his views on the issues and his platform, had the kind of charisma that could send people to hell and back (and in a way he's doing it right now, har), Gary comes off as kind of droll. At least Ron Paul has a well-meaning grandfatherly demeanor about him. Gary needs to make sure we aren't being put to sleep.

With that being said, Gary has the best platform (outside of Ron Paul) for a Presidential candidate.

RebelRoss0587
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
I think we can do better than Gary Johnson for president in 2012

Elwar
02-23-2010, 11:54 AM
[/i]

"He backs every piece of legislation we're for," says Dauneen Dolce, of the Right to Life Committee of New Mexico. That includes "parental consent," "informed consent," and bans on assisted suicide, partial-birth abortion, and Medicaid-funded abortion. Johnson didn't win the group's endorsement in 1994, but got it four years later.

jmdrake
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM

There are competing "pro life" groups out there. One group has been viciously attacking Rand and Ron even though they are clearly pro life candidates. Such a group would salivate at a chance to go after someone like Gary Johnson on a national level. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think I am.

jmdrake
02-23-2010, 12:01 PM
His position is not much different at all from McCain's, and he still got the nom.

I think the one thing Gary has against him is his lack of charisma. Obama, as much as I hated his views on the issues and his platform, had the kind of charisma that could send people to hell and back (and in a way he's doing it right now, har), Gary comes off as kind of droll. At least Ron Paul has a well-meaning grandfatherly demeanor about him. Gary needs to make sure we aren't being put to sleep.

With that being said, Gary has the best platform (outside of Ron Paul) for a Presidential candidate.

While McCain has taken some pro choice votes (abortions on military bases for instance) I've never seen a quote where he said "I'm pro choice". Giuliani did. And Giuliani's numbers were consistently at the bottom of the heap. Also I doubt McCain could get the nomination in 2012. He's in grave danger of losing his senate seat. I have nothing against Gary Johnson's platform. I could certainly vote for him. This is just a high hurdle (plus name recognition) for him to climb. Not impossible I suppose, but very difficult.

BamaFanNKy
02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

I think that's the first article I've ever read that was written in Playboy. :)

BamaFanNKy
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
There are competing "pro life" groups out there. One group has been viciously attacking Rand and Ron even though they are clearly pro life candidates. Such a group would salivate at a chance to go after someone like Gary Johnson on a national level. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think I am.

There is not a recognized group attacking Rand. Just supporters of a candidate and their blogs.

jmdrake
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
There is not a recognized group attacking Rand. Just supporters of a candidate and their blogs.

h ttp://www.americanrighttolife.org/

This isn't just a group of bloggers from Kentucky.

JamesButabi
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Id love to see Gary Johnson receive a cabinet appointment. Is that good enough?

BamaFanNKy
02-23-2010, 01:54 PM
h ttp://www.americanrighttolife.org/

This isn't just a group of bloggers from Kentucky.

There is nothing on there about Rand Paul. Also, They were excited to see Mitt lose this weekend.