PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives cheer Medina's message in Ft Worth!

jmdrake
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Enough with the "sky is falling" negative threads.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/20/1984286/conservatives-cheer-medinas-message.html
FORT WORTH -- Marvin Bahnman doesn't like where the country is headed.

He believes in small government, fiscal responsibility and conservatism.

So he carried a sign that said "You can't fix stupid, but you can vote them out" outside the Cowtown Coliseum in the Stockyards, where a get-out-the-vote rally Saturday drew supporters of the Tea Party and 912 Fort Worth grassroots movements.

"I'm not a Republican," said Bahnman, 74, of Fort Worth. "I am a conservative."

Inside the coliseum, decorated with candidate signs, flags and balloons, dozens of candidates on the March 2 Republican primary ballot spoke to hundreds gathered there.

For many, Saturday was a chance to hear from some candidates who feel the way they do -- tired of big government and career politicians.

"I'm concerned about the direction the country is going with freedoms, spending and big government," said Daniel Esparza, 45, of Fort Worth. "We need people who will bring us back to following the Constitution."

Former Secretary of State Roger Williams kicked off the rally, hosted by the United Conservative Coalition of Texas, which represents the Tea Party, 912 and other conservative groups in North Texas.

He said America has always been a place where ordinary people can do extraordinary things, and he doesn't think that has changed.

However, "it's the people who will get us out of this mess, not the government," said Williams, who is among those running for the U.S. Senate seat Kay Bailey Hutchison said she will vacate after the primary. "We need to send people to Washington not to be something but to do something.

"I still believe our greatest days are still ahead of us if we work together."

The big draw at Saturday's event was GOP gubernatorial candidate Debra Medina, who is challenging Gov. Rick Perry and Hutchison for the state's top job.

Perry and Hutchison did not attend.

Lenn Mathis said that after watching Medina in two televised debates, she was impressed and wanted to see her in person.

"She didn't get into catfights like the other two," said Mathis, 56, of Fort Worth.

"She's a down-to-earth Texan, and I like that."

A standing ovation and the largest cheers of the day came when Medina was introduced as the last speaker. She talked about private property ownership, states rights and freedom for all in Texas. And she spoke about recent "attacks" on her campaign.

"These attacks are not coming against Debra Medina," she said. "They are coming against all of Texas."

She said that the attacks are to be expected and that more will likely come as the election draws even closer. "We're firing a shot across the bow of big government ... and it's going to scream ... and it's going to fire back."

At the rally, Savannah Brown, a 10-year-old Grapevine fourth-grader, asked Medina to sign her T-shirt.

"I think she's a really good person, and my dad's voting for her and he makes good choices," Savannah said. "We don't need government just kicking back and telling people what to do.

"We don't want to be treated like hobos," she said. "I think Debra Medina would treat us like movie stars -- with respect."