PDA

View Full Version : Talk show host claims CPAC straw poll is "as unscientific as internet polls"

jmdrake
02-22-2010, 09:00 AM
I was listening to Ralph Bristol on 99.7 WTN in Nashville. He's an ok host and is somewhat libertarian, but is neocon when it comes to foreign policy. (He recently said on his show that the 9/11 attacks were motivated by our support for Israel, but we should "throw Israel under the bus" just so that we can be safer). Well I heard his comments this morning on CPAC. Basically he said that Ron Paul won "straw poll after straw poll" in 2008, but "never got above 5 percent" in anything else (I'm pretty sure that's not true) and that all this shows is that the "Ron Paul folks are good at congregating at one place" and that "these straw polls are as unscientific as internet polls".

So let's see. First Ron Paul's internet poll numbers were due to "2 hackers working from their mom's basement".

Then somehow the hackers managed to buy a bunch of cell phones just so that they could text Fox News.

Now we're "human spam" able to "congregate in one place".

Well there's only one way to shut people like this up. We need to be prepared to "human spam" Iowa and knock on every door, visit every nursing home and retirement center and personally contact every person with the message that we can't be a superpower and continue to be the world's biggest debtor nation. Invading countries that didn't attack us doesn't make us safe. Bailing businesses that are "too big to fail" is not capitalism. And if the IRS can audit you, then why can't somebody audit the Fed? That and a preemptive mega moneybomb sometime in 2011 might do the trick.

FrankRep
02-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Ralph Bristol doesn't support Ron Paul and he leans neocon on foreign policy?

In either case.

Damage Control! Watch them squirm!

:D

LibertyMage
02-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Unscientific when it doesn't support the establishment candidate. A rallying cry when it does.

Kludge
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
What was Mitt Romney doing to encourage people to attend CPAC? What were RPīs numbers last year? Do you really believe the CPAC straw poll shows what and who conservatives believe in?

A. Havnes
02-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I swear, if Ron Paul ever wins an election, they'll claim that we someone managed to buy votes, threaten other people into voting RP, or we discovered how to clone ourselves and raced to ballot box in droves. Attack of the clones!

brandon
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
It's definitely not scientific and doesn't reflect onto popular opinion at all. I just don't know why they don't point this out when Romney wins.

UtahApocalypse
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Unscientific when it doesn't support the establishment candidate. A rallying cry when it does.

I want to work on a project that compares previous years reports about CPAC to the current reporting. I kow that a quick look at ABC showed a complete change in the tune

A. Havnes
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
It's definitely not scientific and doesn't reflect onto popular opinion at all. I just don't know why they don't point this out when Romney wins.

Probably because they deem Romney to be "electable" and a strong leader. That's just how they spin things.

georgiaboy
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
just imagine the press today if Sarah Palin had captured the top spot in the straw poll. such a double-standard.
nonetheless, RP's taking the top spot is a big wake up for lots and lots. I love it!
We just gotta keep on keepin' on. Mountains are climbed one step at a time.

pacelli
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok.

1) anyone who criticizes the accuracy of CPAC's straw poll is a nutjob quixotic conspiracy theorist.

2) anyone who criticizes the winner of CPAC's straw poll is NOT a conservative, and is therefore a liberal, and is therefore a democratic strategist/propagandist.

Watch the fuckers squirm.

georgiaboy
02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
^nice :)

hillertexas
02-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Ok.

1) anyone who criticizes the accuracy of CPAC's straw poll is a nutjob quixotic conspiracy theorist.

2) anyone who criticizes the winner of CPAC's straw poll is NOT a conservative, and is therefore a liberal, and is therefore a democratic strategist/propagandist.

yes

akforme
02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
It's as unscientific as elections. It's about who get their people to show up at the polls.

LibertyMage
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Ok.

Well played.

speciallyblend
02-22-2010, 10:43 AM
just imagine the press today if Sarah Palin had captured the top spot in the straw poll. such a double-standard.
nonetheless, RP's taking the top spot is a big wake up for lots and lots. I love it!
We just gotta keep on keepin' on. Mountains are climbed one step at a time.

yep,plus i am at 10,200 ft so the mtn is climbed;) now we just roll boulders down on the neo-cons;) and crush them metaphorically!!;) with the true ron paul republican platform!! A 100% ron paul republican Kevin Cannell will be exposing the neo-con platform thru his run for office and gop meetings!!! He is running for county commissioner Nov 2010 Lake ,Colorado!!!WE WILL WIN!!!

ctiger2
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
The revolution is happening right now. It will not be denied.

Matt Collins
02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
I swear, if Ron Paul ever wins an election, they'll claim that we someone managed to buy votes, threaten other people into voting RP, or we discovered how to clone ourselves and raced to ballot box in droves. You should search this board for what happened in Louisana and Nevada back in 2008. What you find may indeed surprise you. :(

Matt Collins
02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
yep,plus i am at 10,200 ft so the mtn is climbed;) now we just roll boulders down on the neo-cons;) and crush them metaphorically!!Why just "metaphorically"? :D

Matt Collins
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I was listening to Ralph Bristol on 99.7 WTN in Nashville. He's an ok host and is somewhat libertarian, but is neocon when it comes to foreign policy. (He recently said on his show that the 9/11 attacks were motivated by our support for Israel, but we should "throw Israel under the bus" just so that we can be safer). Ralph did say that he supported Ron because "Marxism is a bigger threat to the US than Islamofascisim".

Well I heard his comments this morning on CPAC. Basically he said that Ron Paul won "straw poll after straw poll" in 2008, but "never got above 5 percent" in anything else (I'm pretty sure that's not true)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2008_Republican_presidential_primar ies

He also allegedly said this morning that "It's time to get over Ron Paul". :rolleyes:

And he is right in the fact that the CPAC poll doesn't mean anything in the long run, but in the short term it is gaining a great amount of visibility for the liberty movement and we can spin/capitalize that to our advantage. It is not as insignificant as they are making it out to be however.

acptulsa
02-22-2010, 12:28 PM
You should search this board for what happened in Louisana and Nevada back in 2008. What you find may indeed surprise you. :(

Ron Paul won Louisiana the first time around. He had more votes than any other single living candidate. Period.

By the way, an official federal election isn't a scientific poll, either.

Matt Collins
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
YouTube - RalphBristol on Ron Paul Win @ CPAC 2010.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNzbDII54I)

If anyone wants to drop the host a line his e-mail address is: Ralph@997wtn.com