PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron Paul attend the 2010 Values Voter Summit?

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Some of you will remember that Ron Paul scored a very respectable 2nd place with 12% in the straw poll following the Values Voter Debate in September 2007, beating religious right icon Alan Keyes, who came in third with 7%. (Who can forget that silly True/False round of the debate with those cheesy red/green lights displaying their answers?) Sadly, Ron Paul was not able to attend the summit in 2009 when he was busy trying to audit the Fed. In the absence of a speech from Ron Paul, the "values voters" forget where he stands on abortion, religious freedom and homeschooling and fall for the "Ron Paul is a libertarian kook" meme perpetuated by the same media they despise, not realizing that he is really their best friend in DC. Consequently, Ron Paul came in dead last with less than 2% in the 2009 straw poll.

If Ron Paul and Campaign for Liberty were to bring 1/10 the presence they had at CPAC to this year's Values Voter Summit, I believe he could walk away with another straw poll victory. How hilarious would it be to beat Mike Suckabee on his home turf and force him to forfeit the 2011 debate because Values Voters, like CPAC, have become "too libertarian"? :D If you agree, then I propose that we let Ron Paul and Campaign for Liberty know that we would like their attendance at the Value Voters Summit to be a priority this year. See http://www.valuesvotersummit.org

PS I highly recommend listening to Marcus Carey's podcast on "stacking the deck" for Ron Paul found in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=232648

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
44 views but only 4 opinions?

We need to establish a pattern of dominating the large-scale straw polls the same way we did with the small-scale straw polls in 2007/2008. Value Voters is an easy target!

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I know this convention lacks the Michael Steele hipness of CPAC and is a long way off compared to SRLC, but it is still worth a serious effort, and the sooner we plan, the better.

pacelli
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Too busy attending to the links you provided, which included reading another thread and listening to a podcast. Since you provided them within your OP, I can only assume that you want everyone to go through everything you provided BEFORE voting.

jmdrake
02-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah. It's worth the effort. We should human spam as many straw polls as possible.

jmdrake
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Too busy attending to the links you provided, which included reading another thread and listening to a podcast. Since you provided them within your OP, I can only assume that you want everyone to go through everything you provided BEFORE voting.

LOL. I didn't click the links as I think this is a no brainer.

Human spam!

Human spam!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZItgL_ILBMc/SR1M8aPRphI/AAAAAAAAERg/IQiiRTYYTlk/s320/spam-big.jpg

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Come on, are you worried I'd slip in a renewal of the PATRIOT Act into the wording of the poll or something :D

brandon
02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
If he plans on running in '12, then hell yea. Otherwise I don't see much of a point.

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
If he plans on running in '12, then hell yea. Otherwise I don't see much of a point.

If he's ruled out a 2012 run, then I agree, but if he is still "leaning undecided," then what better way to tip him over (figuratively speaking, of course) to a decision than giving him a string of straw poll victories?

erowe1
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
A priority over what?

rp08orbust
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
A priority over what?

Impossible to say. A critical vote could come up, forcing Ron to cancel his speech at the last minute, but that's true of just about anything we plan.

I guess by "making it a priority", I simply mean Ron Paul accepts the invitation to speak (if he gets one; if he doesn't, then we need to make that happen).

rp08orbust
02-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Matt Collins, since you seem to know everyone, who should we contact within Ron Paul's circle with our petition that he accept an invitation to the Value Voters Summit?

SamuraisWisdom
02-23-2010, 02:22 PM
He should attend every straw poll event / conference / whatever that his schedule will allow him to do. We're building momentum, no reason to stop now.

Brian4Liberty
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
"Top Priority" - No.
An opportunity for Ron to speak? - Sure

But, I am also personally opposed to "family values" being part of a campaign or government. It's an emotional red herring, meant to distract people from basic government issues (like spending and warfare).

rp08orbust
02-23-2010, 02:29 PM
"Top Priority" - No.
An opportunity for Ron to speak? - Sure

But, I am also personally opposed to "family values" being part of a campaign or government. It's an emotional red herring, meant to distract people from basic government issues (like spending and warfare).

Nothing destroys families more than war. It's all connected.

EDIT: Hmm, this could be a good speech theme.

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 10:19 AM
I just thought of another advantage to C4L having a presence at the Values Voter Summit in Washington DC this year: Identifying Ron Paul supporters who can be contacted for getting out the vote for CPAC 2011. It would give them access to a different kind of voter to recruit.

jmdrake
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Nothing destroys families more than war. It's all connected.

EDIT: Hmm, this could be a good speech theme.

This. And this is a republican primary we're talking about and "values voters" carry a lot of weight. Plus Ron Paul does have conservative values. He's just not a jerk about it. And he's consistent. He's not going to be worried about the unborn in America while condoning "collateral damage" in unjust wars somewhere else and vice versa. How many times have you heard liberals say "How can you be against abortion and yet be pro war"? How many times have you heard "conservatives" say the reverse?

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
This. And this is a republican primary we're talking about and "values voters" carry a lot of weight. Plus Ron Paul does have conservative values. He's just not a jerk about it. And he's consistent. He's not going to be worried about the unborn in America while condoning "collateral damage" in unjust wars somewhere else and vice versa. How many times have you heard liberals say "How can you be against abortion and yet be pro war"? How many times have you heard "conservatives" say the reverse?

Yep, and even when war doesn't ruin a family through death, it often ruins marriages and relationships as soldiers come home different people.

RCA
02-24-2010, 10:56 AM
What kind of poll is this? It's like asking should Ron Paul remain a Congressman.

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
What kind of poll is this? It's like asking should Ron Paul remain a Congressman.

Well, he didn't attend last year. I intend for it to be more of a petition than a poll.

Toureg89
02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
i remember the CATO Institute having a speaker who was laying out arguments as to how to convince the uber religious why they should adopt libertarian economic policies: because results are just as important as intentions.

so just because you're a Christian and want to look out for your fellow man, doesn't mean you're doing the right thing by illegalizing drugs, if it leads to a black market that results in much more death and violence than there otherwise would have been.

i think this is were RP can be quite convincing.

say, he has as much Christian integrity as any other politician, he just recognizes that intentions don't outweigh consequences.

Money, Greed, and God, by Jay Richards.
YouTube - Money, Greed, and God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafjg8SyMjM)

cpike
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
i remember the CATO Institute having a speaker who was laying out arguments as to how to convince the uber religious why they should adopt libertarian economic policies: because results are just as important as intentions.

so just because you're a Christian and want to look out for your fellow man, doesn't mean you're doing the right thing by illegalizing drugs, if it leads to a black market that results in much more death and violence than there otherwise would have been.

i think this is were RP can be quite convincing.

say, he has as much Christian integrity as any other politician, he just recognizes that intentions don't outweigh consequences.

Money, Greed, and God, by Jay Richards.
YouTube - Money, Greed, and God (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafjg8SyMjM)

As a Christian, I agree this helps, but you have to show and convince them it's worse. Perhaps even show the heads on the ground from the cartels. That can get people to wake up real quick.

Toureg89
02-24-2010, 12:07 PM
but you have to show and convince them it's worse.
yeah, that's never easy, some people's mind sets are usually so entrenched, it can be more stigmatizing than convincing.

BuddyRey
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I vote yes.

Original_Intent
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I voted, no. If he can make it, great, but a top priority? To go watch that bunch slobber over Huckabee? No.

Brian4Liberty
02-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Plus Ron Paul does have conservative values. He's just not a jerk about it.

Which is a good policy.

The "values voter" type of groups do have a stigma though. I know it doesn't apply to all of the people, but there are people like that guy at CPAC (anti-gay), and people like Hagee and neo-conservative RINOs (like Lyndsey Graham) creating a bad impression. It may not be fair, but that stigma is there, as soon as the politicized term "values" is used.

What kind of foreign policy is advocated at the "Values Voter Summit"? If it is full-on pro-war/foreign interventionism, then Ron Paul may have some reservations about attending.

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I voted, no. If he can make it, great, but a top priority? To go watch that bunch slobber over Huckabee? No.

That bunch is who we have to win over in order to win the IA straw poll and caucus.

TC95
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
He should attend every straw poll event / conference / whatever that his schedule will allow him to do. We're building momentum, no reason to stop now.

I agree.

Matt Collins
02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
If Ron Paul and Campaign for Liberty were to bring 1/10 the presence they had at CPAC to this year's Values Voter Summit, I believe he could walk away with another straw poll victory. How hilarious would it be to beat Mike Suckabee on his home turf and force him to forfeit the 2011 debate because Values Voters, like CPAC, have become "too libertarian"? :D

I agree it's a good idea from what I can tell. The CFL would have to ensure the LOLA parties didn't show up ;):p

Being able to club Huckabee in the kneecaps (metaphorically speaking of course) would be beneficial regardless of whether or not Ron runs in 2012. Continuing to win as many real polls as possible just lends more credibility that "Ron Paul is catching on, I'm telling ya". If Ron keeps winning and keeps winning then more and more people will jump on the RP bandwagon because they like to be on winning teams.

Matt Collins, since you seem to know everyone, who should we contact within Ron Paul's circle with our petition that he accept an invitation to the Value Voters Summit?Ron will make his own decision in conjunction with the CFL regarding the potential of attending the VVS.

rp08orbust
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Ron will make his own decision in conjunction with the CFL regarding the potential of attending the VVS.

I'd like to know if Family Research Council has invited Ron Paul to speak at VVS. If they haven't, then we should be firing emails at them too.

rp08orbust
04-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Bump

rp08orbust
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Bump