PDA

View Full Version : Will Dr. No sign any bill as president?

furface
02-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not asking this question facetiously. I've supported Ron Paul for a very long time and will continue to do so. I'm just wondering how he will respond to critics who will accuse him of not being able to support any legislation that comes out of Congress.

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm not asking this question facetiously. I've supported Ron Paul for a very long time and will continue to do so. I'm just wondering how he will respond to critics who will accuse him of not being able to support any legislation that comes out of Congress.
If his voting record is any indication, he'll only sign bills into law that are congruent with the Constitution. :)

jkr
02-20-2010, 09:24 PM
i gots sum paulsuns 4 sale

jkr
02-20-2010, 09:25 PM
fiddy cnt on da dallah

furface
02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
If his voting record is any indication, he'll only sign bills into law that are congruent with the Constitution. :)

If the things coming out of Congress the last few decades are any indication, that's just about nothing. That's fine with me. I wonder how you spin that to a media and population that's eager to be told how to live their lives through legislation.

RM918
02-20-2010, 09:30 PM

Being that the vast majority of stuff Congress tries to do tends to involve spending x on y or telling z they can't do x or y will happen, I imagine it would seem that way.

AParadigmShift
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Where Grover Cleveland could find no power grant, no specific warrant to act, he said as much in his note attached to the offending bill.

The critics be damned! Better yet, throw down the gauntlet and challenge them to find the specific, enumerated power that authorizes such-and-such. The exchange would be an eye-opener of a civics lesson for the majority of Americans.

:p

Chester Copperpot
02-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Amen Brother!!!

(And when I say brother.. you could be a CHinaman.. it makes no difference to Epic Beard Man) hahahaha

Chester Copperpot
02-20-2010, 09:36 PM
If the things coming out of Congress the last few decades are any indication, that's just about nothing. That's fine with me. I wonder how you spin that to a media and population that's eager to be told how to live their lives through legislation.

People will have to learn.. just like the soviets did when they came out of communism..

Chester Copperpot
02-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Where Grover Cleveland could find no power grant, no specific warrant to act, he said as much in his note attached to the offending bill.

The critics be damned! Better yet, throw down the gauntlet and challenge them to find the specific, enumerated power that authorizes such-and-such. The exchange would be an eye-opener of a civics lesson for the majority of Americans.

:p

Ive seen that quote before.. but I dont know where to find it.. Would you have a link for that?

furface
02-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Here are some things that are of questionable constitutionality:

1. Social Security
2. Medicare
3. National environmental laws

Again, I support Ron Paul, but what does he say to critics who will surely bring these subjects up? They are extremely popular programs. I highly doubt he's going to get elected by "educating" people on these issues. Will he have to find a middle ground on them? Will that alienate his original followers? Will he absolutely not move a single inch on these issues?

RM918
02-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Here are some things that are of questionable constitutionality:

1. Social Security
2. Medicare
3. National environmental laws

Again, I support Ron Paul, but what does he say to critics who will surely bring these subjects up? They are extremely popular programs. I highly doubt he's going to get elected by "educating" people on these issues. Will he have to find a middle ground on them? Will that alienate his original followers? Will he absolutely not move a single inch on these issues?

That the first two are going bankrupt and the last one is destroying economic prosperity, for starters.

KramerDSP
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Hypothetically, some on the left could be sold with President Paul and a Democratically-controlled Congress. My question would be this: What are four or five things that RP would be able to do on his own without any cooperation from Congress, etc.?

Also, it seems to me that he has spoken out many times on line item vetoes and executive orders. Would RP immediately order a review of all executive orders, yet try to get some of his agenda through before revoking executive powers? Or would he revoke the executive powers and find another way to go about getting his agenda passed?

jkr
02-20-2010, 09:53 PM
NO

The Patriot
02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Hypothetically, some on the left could be sold with President Paul and a Democratically-controlled Congress. My question would be this: What are four or five things that RP would be able to do on his own without any cooperation from Congress, etc.?

Also, it seems to me that he has spoken out many times on line item vetoes and executive orders. Would RP immediately order a review of all executive orders, yet try to get some of his agenda through before revoking executive powers? Or would he revoke the executive powers and find another way to go about getting his agenda passed?

His Top Priorities should be.

Audit the Fed
Ending Patriot Act
Cuts in Medicare and Medicaid
elimination of corporate tax and inheritance tax
Enumerated powers act
Withdrawal from Afghanistan/Iraq
Privatization of Social Security

These are things I could see him getting passed realistically.

KramerDSP
02-20-2010, 10:36 PM
But what would he be able to do with an uncooperative congress?

lx43
02-20-2010, 10:38 PM

As C-in-C he has the sole power and authority to bring all forces home stationed around the world. It would save us billions per year.

kkassam
02-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Ive seen that quote before.. but I dont know where to find it.. Would you have a link for that?

This is from Grover Cleveland's famous Veto of the Texas Seed Bill (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Cleveland%27s_Veto_of_the_Texas_Seed_Bill):

And yet I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose.

I can find no warrant for such an appropriation in the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the general government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the government, the government should not support the people.

KCIndy
02-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I imagine he would happily sign bills that would abolish the Fed, end the IRS, etc.

As far as Congressional cooperation, consider this: don't ALL spending bills have to be signed into law by the president? In theory, President Ron Paul could simply keep vetoing every spending bill - defense, transportation, you name it - until he gets a a bill on his desk that's reasonably Constitutional in nature....

...or until he gets impeached. :(