PDA

View Full Version : WaPo Article: Listening to Ayn Rand, Ron Paul, may lead to departure from reality

Knightskye
02-19-2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/18/AR2010021803414.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

But there are others, new to political engagement, who have found paranoia and anger intoxicating. They watch Glenn Beck rail against the omnipresent threat of Saul Alinsky, read Ayn Rand's elevation of egotism and contempt for the weak, listen to Ron Paul attacking the Federal Reserve cabal, and suddenly their resentments become ordered into a theory. Such theories, in politics, can act like a drug, causing addiction, euphoria and psychedelic departures from reality.

By the way, since when did Ayn Rand have a "contempt for the weak"?

Original_Intent
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd say Ayn Rand only had contempt for those who would not take responsibility for their own lives.

As far as the departure from reality, it's the truth if the Matrix is your reality.

Knightskye
02-21-2010, 01:38 AM
I'd say Ayn Rand only had contempt for those who would not take responsibility for their own lives.

As far as the departure from reality, it's the truth if the Matrix is your reality.

Want to bet Glenn Beck talks about "taking the red pill" on his show in the near future?

purplechoe
02-21-2010, 02:03 AM
yeah but their "reality" looks like this:

debts is wealth
freedom is slavery
war is peace
ignorance is strength

http://mancelovici.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/war-is-peace.jpg

I would very much like to depart from their so called "reality" and create my own "fantasy"...

Indy Vidual
02-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Such theories, in politics, can act like a drug, causing addiction, euphoria and psychedelic departures from reality.

Far out, is this still legal in the USA?

Knightskye
02-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Such theories, in politics, can act like a drug, causing addiction, euphoria and psychedelic departures from reality.

Far out, is this still legal in the USA?

Watch out for prohibition of supporting Ron Paul. :D