PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

Goldhunter27
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM
I had to reformat my computer after a virus. I can't get the audio to work. I updated the drivers but it's telling me no audio device installed. Any ideas?

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 03:53 PM
As a professional, let me assure you that with the right information typed into google, you will find someone else who has had this exact same problem.

I can't tell you how many times I've solved much more insurmountable problems that way.

Matt Collins
02-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Find out the manufacture of the motherboard (sometimes called a mainboard) and go to their website with the model number and download whichever drivers you need.

tsopranos
02-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Assuming your using Windows...

It's most likely two things, chipset drivers need to be installed, or believe it or not modem drivers can be coupled with audio as well.

Does device manager show something as not being fully installed?

Is this a custom PC build? Model?

tsopranos
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Find out the manufacture of the motherboard (sometimes called a mainboard) and go to their website with the model number and download whichever drivers you need.

This little program can help you find out that info...

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Assuming your using Windows...

Good assumption... if it was Mac he'd just throw $500 at it and it would work, and if it was Linux he'd stay up all night researching and eventually end up blogging to the world about how unfair it is that his sound card manufacturer won't release their hardware specs for the OS community to work with... and still not have sound.

Not kidding about the google... if you take the exact text you're getting in device manager (or whatever the hell MS is calling it this week), quote protect it, and throw the model number as the second search term, you'll probably get a hit.

Tabby
02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Ctrl panel>Device manager>Sound, video and game controllers>Right click on an audio device and make sure it is 'enabled.'
That is what finally fixed my computer's sound when I reformatted it.

If that does not work, sorry.

Goldhunter27
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Good assumption... if it was Mac he'd just throw $500 at it and it would work, and if it was Linux he'd stay up all night researching and eventually end up blogging to the world about how unfair it is that his sound card manufacturer won't release their hardware specs for the OS community to work with... and still not have sound.

Not kidding about the google... if you take the exact text you're getting in device manager (or whatever the hell MS is calling it this week), quote protect it, and throw the model number as the second search term, you'll probably get a hit.

I did. I always Google first. I'm a computer dummy and didn't understand what Google gave me for results. Sooo, I figured I'd ask here.

ctiger2
02-19-2010, 10:47 PM
If it's telling you no audio device is installed then it's a driver issue. If it's onboard audio then you'd need to locate the drivers for that motherboard. If it's a PCI audio card then you'd need to locate the drivers for that card. It's pretty simple. You should see a yellow exclamation point if you visit the hardware profile if the drivers missing.