PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy actress hits Palin for carrying son around ‘like a loaf of bread’

RATM99
02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
The actress who played a prospective girlfriend with Down syndrome on Family Guy has lashed back at former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, saying she doesn't understand sarcasm for a remark during the program where she said her mother was the "former governor of Alaska."

Palin attacked the shows' writers for what she saw as a low blow jab at her son, Trig, who has Down syndrome. But the actress, who has Down syndrome herself, fired back at Palin for toting her son around "like a loaf of French bread."

"In my family we think laughing is good," actress Andrea Fay Friedman quipped. "My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes."

"I was born with Down syndrome," Friedman added. "I played the role of Ellen on the 'Extra Large Medium' episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in 'Smudge' but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line 'I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska' was very funny. I think the word is 'sarcasm.'"

In a follow-up interview with The New York Times Friedman said she felt the characterization was funny.

"Do you agree with what she and her daughter Bristol were saying, that the character and the jokes were insulting to people with Down syndrome?" the Times asked.

"It’s not really an insult," she replied. "I was doing my role, I’m an actor. I’m entitled to say something. It was really funny. I was laughing at it. I had a nice time doing voiceover. It was my first time doing a voiceover, and I had fun."

http://rawstory.com/2010/02/family-guy-actress-hits-palin-carrying-son-like-loaf-bread/

LOL. This is too funny.

MelissaWV
02-19-2010, 11:01 AM
It sounds to me like this girl should demand an apology from Palin. The comments make it seem like Sarah Palin would be ashamed to be this girl's mother. That's just cruel. I never knew Sarah Palin hated people with Down's Syndrome so much.

:p

brandon
02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
We should all demand an apology from Family Guy for being such a terribly unfunny show.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 11:11 AM
We should all demand an apology from Family Guy for being such a terribly unfunny show.

I like it

as for your opinion? WGAS

RATM99
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM

It has it's moments. But South Park is the best. I would like to see them intervene in this circus.

Reason
02-19-2010, 11:12 AM
family guy is hilarious

Bucjason
02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I do think it was tasteless by the family guy, but at the same time you shouldn't have to apologize for being tasteless in a country with free speech.

If I want to make jokes about retards I shouldn't have to worry about the PC police coming for me. That includes Sarah Palin.

In a side note, Family guy isn't the least bit funny.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I do think it was tasteless by the family guy, but at the same time you shouldn't have to apologize for being tasteless in a country with free speech.

If I want to make jokes about retards I shouldn't have to worry about the PC police coming for me. That includes Sarah Palin.

In a side note, Family guy isn't the least bit funny.

actually you should.

That is how a free society should operate. If you say something offensive, people can express their offense.

Bucjason
02-19-2010, 11:50 AM
actually you should.

That is how a free society should operate. If you say something offensive, people can express their offense.

Yes but if you demand an apology from me , or else I will lose my job and/or be destroyed in one way or another , you have crossed the line.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes but if you demand an apology from me , or else I will lose my job and/or be destroyed in one way or another , you have crossed the line.

If I hire you, I can fire you for whatever reason I want.

The only line being crossed is when you go to petition the government preventing me from firing your dumb ass for the stupid things you say.

angelatc
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
I honestly wonder if Palin cares, or if she's just sticking to the Alinsky playbook of making your opponents live up to their own rules.

coyote_sprit
02-19-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm in...

Liberty Rebellion
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Family Guy is hilarious.

So is Palin

SWATH
02-19-2010, 12:27 PM
It has it's moments. But South Park is the best. I would like to see them intervene in this circus.

They already did, it was called Timmy 2000:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103576 (http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103576)

LibertarianfromGermany
02-19-2010, 12:36 PM

Definitely. Don't particularly care about that Palin story, but Family just really, really sucks.

BlackTerrel
02-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Not a fan of Palin being offended every 30 seconds.. but not a big fan of Family Guy using this Down Syndrom actress to defend them

Rocket80
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
The FG joke wasn't funny, nor offensive. I think the funniest part of this whole thing as that an actress who actually has downs syndrome did the voice, lol. I mean, it makes sense, but is so awesome at the same time.

Jeros
02-19-2010, 12:48 PM

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/128347587844687500fail.jpg

Bucjason
02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
If I hire you, I can fire you for whatever reason I want.

The only line being crossed is when you go to petition the government preventing me from firing your dumb ass for the stupid things you say.

and that is exactly what we are talking about, Palin petitioning everyone who will listen to shut up other people

...last I checked The Family Guy wasn't threatening to fire anyone , they were defending them.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 01:33 PM
and that is exactly what we are talking about, Palin petitioning everyone who will listen to shut up other people

...last I checked The Family Guy wasn't threatening to fire anyone , they were defending them.

When you talk about the pc police, you are referring to public sentiment, not government force.

"If I want to make jokes about retards I shouldn't have to worry about the PC police coming for me."

so again. Yes you should. That is precisely what you should be concerned with in a free society. not the police, The pc police.

Bucjason
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
When you talk about the pc police, you are referring to public sentiment, not government force.

"If I want to make jokes about retards I shouldn't have to worry about the PC police coming for me."

so again. Yes you should. That is precisely what you should be concerned with in a free society. not the police, The pc police.

I disagree. political correctness is the enemy of freedom.

It would be fine if these "pc police" were satisfied to simply denounce and embarass you for being idiot, but they inevitably always try to take it even further and destroy you completely...and they use any means they can to do it , including the government.

I have a right to say all the stupid things I want , you have the right to be offended ...that is where the story should end.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I disagree. political correctness is the enemy of freedom.

It would be fine if these "pc police" were satisfied to simply denounce and embarass you for being idiot, but they inevitably always try to take it even further and destroy you completely...and they use any means they can to do it , including the government.

You specifically mentioned a job loss.

Do you still believe you have a right to say things and it can't effect your job status?

Because I'm going to be honest, I have a met a million class warfare progressives in my life, and they all hold the same attitude as you in regards to employment and free speech.

It's as if rights only belong to employees and not employers :confused:

Bucjason
02-19-2010, 01:48 PM
I think my employer has EVERY right to fire me if they think I give them a bad name ...I just don't think YOU have a right to march down to my Employers house ( or the government) with pitchforks and torches and FORCE them to fire me . With Free Speech you have to take the good with the bad. Just call me an idiot , and that should be the end of the story.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I think my employer has EVERY right to fire me if they think I give them a bad name ...I just don't think YOU have a right to march down to my Employers house ( or the government) with pitchforks and torches and FORCE them to fire me . With Free Speech you have to take the good with the bad. Just call me an idiot , and that should be the end of the story.

the govenrment shouldn't have the power to get you fired, but I sure as hell can picket outside your bosses house asking him to do so.

libertarian4321
02-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Definitely. Don't particularly care about that Palin story, but Family just really, really sucks.

Why is it that people always feel the need to post their completely irrelevant opinions about the show in this thread?

Obviously, a lot of people like the show, it wouldn't have survived for a dozen years years if they didn't.

If you personally don't like the show, who the Hell cares? Don't watch it.

Do we really need every member of this forum to post either "Family Guy rules!" or "Family Guy sucks?"

In any event, getting back to the point of the thread, I went out of my way to watch that episode on Hulu just to see what got Palin's panties in a bunch. I kept expecting something really offensive, but it never came up. That line about Palin shouldn't have been "offensive" to any but the most uptight people- and people that tightly wound probably shouldn't watch the show anyway, because they'll find a reason to be offended every 3-4 minutes.

I have no idea why she's making a big deal out of it, other than to draw attention to herself. By the standards of that show, it was pretty tame stuff.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Why is it that people always feel the need to post their completely irrelevant opinions about the show in this thread?

Obviously, a lot of people like the show, it wouldn't have survived for a dozen years years if they didn't.

If you personally don't like the show, who the Hell cares? Don't watch it.

Do we really need every member of this forum to post either "Family Guy rules!" or "Family Guy sucks?"

In any event, getting back to the point of the thread, I went out of my way to watch that episode on Hulu just to see what got Palin's panties in a bunch. I kept expecting something really offensive, but it never came up. That line about Palin shouldn't have been "offensive" to any but the most uptight people- and people that tightly wound probably shouldn't watch the show anyway, because they'll find a reason to be offended every 3-4 minutes.

I have no idea why she's making a big deal out of it, other than to draw attention to herself. By the standards of that show, it was pretty tame stuff.

she is merely trying to stay relevant

she is terrified that everyone will forget about her if she doesn't stay in the media limelight.

So in a sense, she is kind of like Paris Hilton.

libertarian4321
02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
she is merely trying to stay relevant

she is terrified that everyone will forget about her if she doesn't stay in the media limelight.

So in a sense, she is kind of like Paris Hilton.

To compare Palin to Paris Hilton is a real slap in the face to Ms. Hilton.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
To compare Palin to Paris Hilton is a real slap in the face to Ms. Hilton.

I'm not sure how

JacobR248
02-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Family Guy was never funny in any case.

Just a bunch of non sequiturs and gags that were strung together to fill up time.

There is no creative writing in that show, no back story, nothing. Just gags.

Remember that one time I _________________.

ARealConservative
02-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Family Guy was never funny in any case.

Just a bunch of non sequiturs and gags that were strung together to fill up time.

There is no creative writing in that show, no back story, nothing. Just gags.

Remember that one time I _________________.

humor is like art, not math.

idirtify
02-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I think comedians everywhere should start making the worst/unfunniest jokes possible about “the Palins”, and then crank up the applause and laugh track as loud as possible – no matter how anti-climactic the punch-line. It would be hilarious. :D

RATM99
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Q.How did you start out as an actor?

A.Before I did “Family Guy,” I started studying at the Santa Monica Playhouse when I was 14, and then I also studied at the Stagecoach. And then I did more acting at Santa Monica College. My biggest break was “Life Goes On,” when I was 21.

Q.How were you hired to do this episode of “Family Guy”?

A.“Family Guy” talked to my dad first, before I knew about “Family Guy,” because I never watched it. But since I’m watching it, it’s really funny. They told me I was going to be animated, they were going to draw me, and I did not have to know the lines by memory. I just had to read it. It was really funny. I enjoyed it. I had a nice time doing it.
Q.Did they specifically tell you that the character you were going to play also had Down syndrome?

A.Yeah, they told me I was playing Ellen, who was Miss Bossy. I didn’t want to be bossy, but since they want me to be bossy, I just had to be as the character. I had to be bossy, as part of my process. That’s the only way to transform the real me to an animated person. So I had to do what an actor does. I just wing it and have fun with it.

Q.When you get asked to play characters who have Down syndrome, does that make you at all uncomfortable?

A.No, I’m proud of it. I’m not embarrassed. But mostly, it doesn’t matter if you have Down syndrome. Really, it just matters to have a different challenge.

Q.When did you find out about the reaction that the episode elicited from Sarah Palin and her family?

A.[laughs] That I did not even know about until my mom told me, “You’re on Channel 4!” And when I watched on Channel 4, on “Extra,” and I saw Sarah Palin with her son Trig. I’m like, “I’m not Trig. This is my life.” I was making fun of Sarah Palin, but not her son.

Q.Do you agree with what she and her daughter Bristol were saying, that the character and the jokes were insulting to people with Down syndrome?

A.It’s not really an insult. I was doing my role, I’m an actor. I’m entitled to say something. It was really funny. I was laughing at it. I had a nice time doing voiceover. It was my first time doing a voiceover, and I had fun.

Q.Do you know what other acting roles you’ve got coming up?

A.That I don’t know. [laughs] No one asked me yet. I’m still waiting. My dad gets the calls, and he tells me about it. I’d like to go back on “Saving Grace,” that’s my favorite show.

Q.What do you do when you’re not acting?

A.I work at a law firm, I’ve been here for 20 years. I’ve spoken all over the world, India and Japan. Dad taught me some Japanese. I like spending time with family and friends, go bowling and skiing, going to birthday parties.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/18/family-guy-voice-actor-says-palin-does-not-have-a-sense-of-humor/?no_interstitial