PDA

View Full Version : Would Medina pardon people who refuse to pay property tax?

johngr
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
She should use that power (for many things) imo.

Lovecraftian4Paul
02-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I hope so.

johngr
02-19-2010, 10:11 AM
The pardon power is the executive equivalent of jury nullification. It's time it be used for honorable purposes.

Brad Zink
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Debra Medina will be a fiscally responsible Governor, while at the same time upholding the rule of law. Her plan is to implement balanced budgets, while cutting spending, eliminating property taxes, and utilizing a consumption tax that is revenue neutral.

She will not tolerate vigilante activity or the disregard of state laws. The method of changing the tax structure will be implemented by repealing them through Constitutional means.

johngr
02-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Debra Medina will be a fiscally responsible Governor, while at the same time upholding the rule of law. Her plan is to implement balanced budgets, while cutting spending, eliminating property taxes, and utilizing a consumption tax that is revenue neutral.

She will not tolerate vigilante activity or the disregard of state laws. The method of changing the tax structure will be implemented by repealing them through Constitutional means.

Regarding "rule of law" I refer you to the clause in the Texas Constitution about the governor's pardon power. It is absolute and it is not subject to judicial review. For the purposes of pardoning, the governor is the law.

IF THE CAREER POLITICIAN LEGISLATORS CONTINUE TO ENSLAVE THE PEOPLE, IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE AN EXECUTIVE WHO STANDS WITH THEM!

!Such a move would force the scumbags to play ball. And the people, having given her the mandate, would be behind her!

robertwerden
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I would not expect Medina to disregard the law if she could not get it changed. That would defeat her own values.

johngr
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't know about Texas law, but at the federal level, it is a settled matter of law, never overturned, that the President's pardon power includes pardoning a class of people, arising from a case involving Washington's pardon of participants in the Whiskey "Rebellion".

johngr
02-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I would not expect Medina to disregard the law if she could not get it changed. That would defeat her own values.

I'm not saying she should not pay her property tax.

tmosley
02-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Laws which are the embodiment of aggression have no logic behind them save thuggery should not be enforced. If she is true to her values, she would pardon them.

But I'm not sure that is the issue. I don't think people go to prison for not paying their property taxes. They just have their property seized. I don't think she can stop that. Now pardoning people for not paying their federal income tax, THAT would be something. I'm not sure if she has the authority to do that, though.

johngr
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Laws which are the embodiment of aggression have no logic behind them save thuggery should not be enforced. If she is true to her values, she would pardon them.

But I'm not sure that is the issue. I don't think people go to prison for not paying their property taxes. They just have their property seized. I don't think she can stop that. Now pardoning people for not paying their federal income tax, THAT would be something. I'm not sure if she has the authority to do that, though.

Then she could pardon people who defend their right to own property.

She could also instruct her attorney general and state's attorneys to make the civil cases a low priority.

lx43
02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
That would be awesome for her to use her constitutional powers in this manner!

tmosley
02-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Then she could pardon people who defend their right to own property.

She could also instruct her attorney general and state's attorneys to make the civil cases a low priority.

I'm not sure it goes to that level. Tax liens come from the local level, and these things are settled in local courts.

John of Des Moines
02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Pardon power is for criminal matters. Property taxes are a local civil matter. She would have little power to stop local property tax lien sales.