http://www.kcci.com/video/22608892/index.html

Bruno
02-19-2010, 08:23 AM

jackers
02-19-2010, 08:24 AM
When is it going to end?

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Kicking or hitting a larger dog is generally ineffective, unless you have a big stick or bat or something that you can really lay into it.
The most effective way to paralyze a dog is to get your hands around its throat and choke it.
Of course this requires some upper body strength and, with a dog that big, the ability to wrestle, so it's probably not going to happen if you're a woman.
But dogs instinctively recognize having their throats enclosed as a dominance maneuver, and not being able to breathe is icing on the cake.

Of course, that only lasts as long as it takes its handler to billy club you on the head repeatedly for damaging government property.

Bruno
02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Kicking or hitting a larger dog is generally ineffective, unless you have a big stick or bat or something that you can really lay into it.
The most effective way to paralyze a dog is to get your hands around its throat and choke it.
Of course this requires some upper body strength and, with a dog that big, the ability to wrestle, so it's probably not going to happen if you're a woman.
But dogs instinctively recognize having their throats enclosed as a dominance maneuver, and not being able to breathe is icing on the cake.

Of course, that only lasts as long as it takes its handler to billy club you on the head repeatedly for damaging government property.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I read your first two paragraphs.

angelatc
02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
It's really the only way to escape a dog attack. And you're going to get bit, but any adult can take most dogs by choking them. I think even I could take down a Shepherd, but something like a Rottweiler would be too much.

Malinois are freaking basket cases to begin with. Definitely not the type of dog that should be in the hands of all K-9 cops.

And I hope they have the good sense to put the damned dog down.

catdd
02-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I was attacked by a guard dog that had gotten loose on a job site just as I was getting in my truck. I kicked that sucker so hard under the chin that a yellow streak ran up his back and then I chased after him cussing and daring him to fight.

MelissaWV
02-19-2010, 09:06 AM
It's really the only way to escape a dog attack. And you're going to get bit, but any adult can take most dogs by choking them. I think even I could take down a Shepherd, but something like a Rottweiler would be too much.

Malinois are freaking basket cases to begin with. Definitely not the type of dog that should be in the hands of all K-9 cops.

And I hope they have the good sense to put the damned dog down.

When I see these dogs, they're usually on a fairly short leash due to the crowded nature of airports and other places they're in use. The handler is much more at fault, in my eyes, than the dog ever could be. SOME dogs can be rehabilitated, and I hope that's considered for this one (but never ever back to the police force or similar situations).

Bruno
02-19-2010, 09:14 AM
When I see these dogs, they're usually on a fairly short leash due to the crowded nature of airports and other places they're in use. The handler is much more at fault, in my eyes, than the dog ever could be. SOME dogs can be rehabilitated, and I hope that's considered for this one (but never ever back to the police force or similar situations).

the dog will probably be put on paid administrative leave until a police commission clears him of all wrong-doing and he is put back to work

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 09:16 AM
the dog will probably be put on paid administrative leave until a police commission clears him of all wrong-doing and he is put back to work

I feel guilty laughing at this.

angelatc
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Maybe some dogs can be rehabilitated, but I don't want to pay for it. Try to adopt out a dog that has ever bitten somebody, especially a child. See how far you get. If you're in rescue, your insurance company will drop you in an instant if they find out you adopted out a dog that bit somebody. If you adopt a "rehabbed" dog that ends up biting the neighbor child, and you knew the dog had a history of biting, you're hosed. And liable.

Any reputable trainer will tell you straight up that you can never, ever trust a dog that has bitten not to bite again. A neurotic-by-nature dog out of the testosterone-driven handlers in the K9 unit wouldn't be my first pick to not bite again, either.

There are 7 million dogs put down every year. A large majority of those dogs have done nothing, or at least nothing aggressive. (Most owner turn-ins are for curable behaviors, like chewing or house-breaking issues.) This dog nailed a child. In dog-world, that's really, really bad. Kids (like puppies) are usually given a pass by dogs that are borderline aggressive.

It's terribly sad, but spending public resources on dogs that bite, especially kids, is simply not the best use of those resources.

MelissaWV
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe some dogs can be rehabilitated, but I don't want to pay for it. Try to adopt out a dog that has ever bitten somebody, especially a child. See how far you get. If you're in rescue, your insurance company will drop you in an instant if they find out you adopted out a dog that bit somebody. If you adopt a "rehabbed" dog that ends up biting the neighbor child, and you knew the dog had a history of biting, you're hosed. And liable.

Any reputable trainer will tell you straight up that you can never, ever trust a dog that has bitten not to bite again. A neurotic-by-nature dog out of the testosterone-driven handlers in the K9 unit wouldn't be my first pick to not bite again, either.

There are 7 million dogs put down every year. A large majority of those dogs have done nothing, or at least nothing aggressive. (Most owner turn-ins are for curable behaviors, like chewing or house-breaking issues.) This dog nailed a child. In dog-world, that's really, really bad. Kids (like puppies) are usually given a pass by dogs that are borderline aggressive.

It's terribly sad, but spending public resources on dogs that bite, especially kids, is simply not the best use of those resources.

Oh, I understand all of that, although some organizations will test out dogs that have been aggressive sometimes... and if they can be rehabbed, sometimes it's worth a try. These include dogs that were beaten, baited, taught to fight, etc..

I know that it shouldn't be done on my dime. I'm already mad enough I paid for this dog's education :p It's at least worth a test before a dog with this much training put into it is put down, but I know better dogs have died already today, and will die, and will continue to die.

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 10:24 AM
It's at least worth a test before a dog with this much training put into it is put down, but I know better dogs have died already today, and will die, and will continue to die.

If it was my daughter, I would stipulate that any out-of-court settlement would require destruction of the animal.

The amount of money wasted on this dog's education is tiny compared to the amount of money wasted on the girl's education. Priorities.....

MelissaWV
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
If it was my daughter, I would stipulate that any out-of-court settlement would require destruction of the animal.

The amount of money wasted on this dog's education is tiny compared to the amount of money wasted on the girl's education. Priorities.....

Perhaps that came out wrong? Dogs who bite have varied motivations to do so, just the same as people who kill have different motivations. Some can be rehabilitated, and some cannot. In fact, most dogs that bite have to be put down, and many states require it by law. The "education" comment refers to the fact that, if this dog can demonstrate it's unlikely to bite again, it might have a major head start on being a helper dog in some capacity.

I also don't want to pay for the little girl's education :) I've made that one clear over and over on the boards. I hate being part of a shrinking demographic that foots the bill for everyone else's programs and tax breaks.

Apparition
02-19-2010, 10:35 AM

I love my malinois... he's a total sweetheart until it's 'game-on' and then obviously you don't want to mess around, but those situations only come about when I or my family are feeling startled or threatened. The breed has a knack for being in tune with human emotional response.

But yeah, you're right that they aren't for everyone and you do have to have a handler that knows what he's doing when they're trained for police work.

mello
02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I can't get the video to play at work. Any details.

fisharmor
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I can't get the video to play at work. Any details.

The girl is 4 years old and is afraid of dogs. Mother says she was doing nothing that would provoke the dog. Dog bit girl on the belly and held her on the ground for a while. She has a gash in her stomach, is presumably doing ok but will have a scar and mother claims will likely have issues with dogs the rest of her life.
(Similar experiences are the reason I don't like dogs at all, so this makes perfect sense to me.)

runningdiz
02-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Maybe she was carrying drugs or something. Hope they don't put the dog down it wasn't his choice to be employed by the stupid TSA. I am sure if you were enslaved by them you would go insane to.

puppetmaster
02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I like animals.....but that dog would die if it bit my child. My motto with animals is "If I can't eat it or make money with it , then I don't want it." That comes from being rasied on a ranch I suppose.

JeNNiF00F00
02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Thats no dog, its a "Police Officer".

puppetmaster
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM

+1:D

coyote_sprit
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5696/1075l.jpg

Acala
02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
It was in the child's own interest that she was attacked by the dog because that dog is a soldier in the war on drugs and he might someday save her from smoking marijuana. Which would ruin her life, as we all know. She would probably become a prostitute to pay for her drug habit. So in fact, this dog is a hero who saved that child from a life of crime and degeneracy. He will be awarded a medal, as will his handler. All is as it should be, citizen.

Bruno
02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
It was in the child's own interest that she was attacked by the dog because that dog is a soldier in the war on drugs and he might someday save her from smoking marijuana. Which would ruin her life, as we all know. She would probably become a prostitute to pay for her drug habit. So in fact, this dog is a hero who saved that child from a life of crime and degeneracy. He will be awarded a medal, as will his handler. All is as it should be, citizen.

you should be a politician

Brian4Liberty
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Put down the dog, and the handler should never be a handler again.