PDA

View Full Version : The Cult of Nystrom (seeking help on an upcoming thread/article/series)

thewhammy
02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
For those of you who don't know, Michael Nystrom is a middle-aged, self-described "political neophyte" who runs the website "Daily Paul."

Over the pats few years, I have watched as that site has developed into an unofficial watering hole of sorts for this movement. I have also watched the tone of that site go from grassroots activism for Dr. Paul's campaign to (especially after the campaign ended) an increasingly fringe site that is dominated by the Alex Jones / Truther / Birther elements that use this movement to spread their ideologies. During this time, I have even seen a change in Nystrom's own views, expressed through his forum activity and the posts he chooses to prominently display.

It has recently been brought to my attention that Nystrom has "banned" many users from his site merely because they advocate that the movement stay "focused" on core issues where there is more consensus and avoid "movement creep" into fringe topics (chemtrails, 9/11 conspiracies, NWO rhetoric) that make it harder for us to grow and achieve victories. I have been in touch with former moderators from Daily Paul, and have been sent dozens of forum posts and emails authored by Nystrom that paint a disturbing picture of a paranoid, angry, profane, irrational, and threatening individual who is a poor ambassador for the movement.

The "straw that broke that camel's back" in this case is a chain of emails and posts sent to me by a former moderator that deal with a long-time activist who had been posting at Daily Paul for several years and was a Meetup leader going back to early 2007. When this person urged more restraint on the Ken Buck/C4L "dustup," Nystrom and his "cult" slammed him hard. Nystrom personally and repeatedly alleged that this person was a plant, and demanded that he identify who he was and who he "worked for." Even after Nystrom schizophrenically pulled a 180 on the Ken Buck/C4L issue (after talking to Dr. Paul himself and getting shamed), Nystrom began posting this anonymous user's personal information online, and sent threatening emails to him saying he would "destroy" him.

Frankly I think the evidence is clear that Nystrom, while he may be well intentioned, is a negative influence on this movement. I respect those who disagree, but I think the coddling of fringe elements and clear territoriality shown by Nystrom disqualify him from being a visible leader in this movement.

I'm just one man, and I have a few sources that represent only part of the story. I am writing this post because I want others with information on this story (from all perspectives) to come forward so we can have a thorough public debate on this issue. I don't want to publish some lengthy article - on these forums or elsewhere - that omits facts.

Your thoughts?

Agorism
02-18-2010, 06:33 PM
That site has always been that way.

However, the one good thing about it is that there is almost total free speech on that website... although there is a lot of craziness that goes along with it.

norfair18
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM
I've been disappointed with the acceptance of the fringe elements as well, who by association discredit us. I also thought Nystrom's "I can destroy you" comment was wholly inappropriate and I was stunned he would make such a threat against a poster who wished to remain anonymous. The conversation with Dr. Paul as he relayed it back didn't convince me either why he made a 180 on the issue. But I give him huge props for the Daily Paul and his sacrifice for it, but if he doesn't realize that Truthers and chemtrails should not be accepted since they have nothing to do with liberty, or at least relegate them to a forum off the front page, it makes the 95% of Paul supporters look less extreme.

low preference guy
02-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Agorism
02-18-2010, 07:11 PM
None of the mods there ever gave me any trouble.

I even liked to post making fun off all the truther threads, and they never minded.

thewhammy
02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Agorism: I don't see "free speech" there. It's this bizarre Shadow Land where the regulars (and some of the extreme moderators like legalizeliberty) are fringe wackos, and THOSE ideas get "free speech" protection. But if you dare to advocate something different (like, for example, "Hey guys, let's take the chemtrails debate to another website so it doesn't reflect badly on Dr. Paul" you risk getting banned. When that happens, Nystrom seems to pull the "this site is my private property" card. I see the big picture at DP as "free speech if your views are popular among people who give money to Nystrom."

Nofair: The "destroy you" threat made my jaw drop when I saw it. Just this morning I got the follow-ups to that forwarded to me. The user responded to the "who are you and who do you work for?" attacks by half laughing at them and pointing out how paranoid people were being that he was taking a "let's wait and see what C4L has to say" or something, and half saying that he couldn't go attaching his name to forum posts because it could harm his career prospects. I think that's understandable. Nystrom then came out with the whole "I know who you are, and I can destroy you" line and poster caved privately, and offered several ways they could work out their differences. He even offered to not post anymore, if Nystrom would give him an assurance that the threat was not for real.

Well, Nystrom responded saying he would think about it and get back to him the next day. He never did. A week or so later, Nystrom sent an email titled "What the fuck are you doing back on my site?" after the user complimented Nystrom publicly for reversing course on the Ken Buck issue and encouraging less infighting. The email said:
I thought we made a deal. I guess you don't care about that? Oh well [used a name he claimed is the poster's] - if you don't play by the rules, I won't either.

The info I got this morning was that the poster responded by questioning whether Nystrom was experiencing mental problems, since he never responded and wasn't making any sense. Nystrom then admitted this, and said "I'm busy too. I know I never got back to you. That being the case, what makes you think that you had any right to proceed to post on my site? You have no such permission. You are hereby banned from participation on my site. Please do not come back. The site is private property."

I laughed at that. He bans people like Obama spends money. He didn't ban this person, and then complained that, after not hearing any response and witnessing an "epiphany" following the Ron Paul phone call, the person used the not-banned account to post.

Since then, Nystrom has denied making threats against the anonymous poster. Here are some of the public threats Nystrom made. He has since deleted many of these posts:

1/31/2010:

You are afraid to use your real name, but I already know it. My crack team of eyeballs on this site were able to smoke you out pretty quick.

But I do know your name, your address, your employer, your email address and more. If you're afraid that this information could jeopardize your future career prospects, you have now met your fear. You have left me with incredible power over you. I know exactly what you fear, and I have the information to destroy you.
Nystrom also posted, publicly, a first name that he claimed was this person's, as well as the registration and end dates of a website he claimed this person registered.

You registered the name with GoDaddy on December 3, 2006, and it expires on December 3, 2010. Like I said, we smoked you out pretty quick after you started harassing me. I am thankful to have loyal and very, very intelligent supporters. Not much gets by this team.

I recall there being more scary stuff from Nystrom in emails. I'll have to sort through all of this as I gather information for an article.

LowPromotionGuyThe nutty stuff is usually pretty prominent in the recent threads. There's a "Daily Chemtrail Report" that is often one of the top threads. One of the front-page stories today is some "dirty tricks" report from PrisonPlanet, which has zero credibility. But yes, sometimes there are other things going on that are more mainstream, and the loons are marginalized. But they're definitely welcomed by Nystrom.

The former moderator also told me he is in talks with a current moderator who is a pretty recognizable name, who is not happy with the direction of the DP - and this guy actually BELIEVES in conspiracies but thinks the way DP is run is a disgrace that hurts the movement.

I think we just need responsible people to build up momentum and take this movement back from people who use the Paul name to construct personal fiefdoms and monuments to their egos and fringery.

Agorism
02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Agorism: I don't see "free speech" there. It's this bizarre Shadow Land where the regulars (and some of the extreme moderators like legalizeliberty) are fringe wackos, and THOSE ideas get "free speech" protection. But if you dare to advocate something different (like, for example, "Hey guys, let's take the chemtrails debate to another website so it doesn't reflect badly on Dr. Paul" you risk getting banned. When that happens, Nystrom seems to pull the "this site is my private property" card. I see the big picture at DP as "free speech if your views are popular among people who give money to Nystrom."

1) I always make fun of the chemtrails posts and truther threads.

2) I normally get a response of someone getting suspicious that I'm a troll.

3) Then I normally claim, in response, that I'm some sort of government agent, whichever organization I'm in the mood for for fun.

The admins never seemed to care as far as I could tell.

Petar
02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
I've been banned from there twice.

First time was after I posted a thread against Zeitgeist II, which Nystrom personally attacked on his front page.

I then had a prolonged battle with a bunch of Zeitgeist II trolls, including Nystrom at the time, and that is when I was banned, for being too rude about it I guess.

I now forget why I was banned the second time though...

Anyway, I don't totally trust Nystroms judgment, he pushes things that are totally against our legitimate purpose pretty frequently, whether it's Zeitgeist II nonsense, or if it is Elliot Wave crap about deflation being imminent, or anarchy bullshit...

In fact, I'm pretty sure that he is a goddam reptillian.

Agorism
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm an anarchist. They don't mind.

thewhammy
02-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Agorism: Nothing wrong with being an anarchist. I think many of us are trending in that direction because we don't trust the system to elect people who will uphold the contract.

They have no problem with you there as long as you aren't disagreeing with the direction the site is taking. If you do disagree, you have to be a lamb, it seems like. If you make the argument that some ideas shouldn't be linked to Ron Paul, the crazies get even crazier and call you a "plant" or "shill."

norfair18
02-18-2010, 10:26 PM
3) Then I normally claim, in response, that I'm some sort of government agent, whichever organization I'm in the mood for for fun.
__________________________________________________ _________________________

Ha, mind if I steal that sometime?

But in fairness to Nystrom, he is good intentioned, and the main threads he posts on the front page from what I can see usually stick pretty close to the main message of liberty. I do think he said he was working on a different forum page off the main site for conspiracy theorists, but I don't have a quote for that. We've all said stupid things on the internet too, and Nystrom IMO has his share, but hopefully in the end we can unite and we won't be divided by some of the unreasonable members we come across.

Imperial
02-19-2010, 12:30 AM
But I do know your name, your address, your employer, your email address and more. If you're afraid that this information could jeopardize your future career prospects, you have now met your fear. You have left me with incredible power over you. I know exactly what you fear, and I have the information to destroy you.

This reminded me alot of Ellsworth Toohey.

Flirple
02-19-2010, 01:31 AM
I've never gone to that site and lasted more than a few minutes before I got too creeped-out by all the pseudo-science and crackpot advertisements and had to close the page.

Too be honest, I'm to the point anymore where I don't think any site in our movement isn't at least a little bit guilty of spreading such nonsense or at least appeasing/ pandering to that crowd.

If I didn't understand economics, liberty, and America's real history already and Istumbled upon our movement and Ron Paul, I think I would just dismiss us as nuts too.

I don't get it. Why are people (including Ron Paul himself) so careless with our credibility?

thewhammy
02-19-2010, 03:04 AM
I've never gone to that site and lasted more than a few minutes before I got too creeped-out by all the pseudo-science and crackpot advertisements and had to close the page.

Too be honest, I'm to the point anymore where I don't think any site in our movement isn't at least a little bit guilty of spreading such nonsense or at least appeasing/ pandering to that crowd.

If I didn't understand economics, liberty, and America's real history already and Istumbled upon our movement and Ron Paul, I think I would just dismiss us as nuts too.

I don't get it. Why are people (including Ron Paul himself) so careless with our credibility?Very well spoken.

nayjevin
02-19-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't get it. Why are people (including Ron Paul himself) so careless with our credibility?

'We' don't have credibility, or lack of it. Individuals have credibility or lack thereof. Further, individual claims by individual people have credibility or lack thereof.

The problem is collectivism. Lumping people into groups. People who stumble on any message board may or may not understand this truth, and may or may not judge an entire site for some of its members, may or may not judge a person for some of his/her statements.

constituent
02-19-2010, 07:26 AM
what, this is unique?

i've seen people's names lorded over them here i don't care to say how often...

and if you're a shit head about the way that you disagree w/ the direction of this site, you'll probably be banned too.

if you don't like what nystrom is doing, don't enable it. don't drive traffic to it, don't boost his ad revenue.

what is to be gained by skewering him in this manner? certainly NOT the anonymity kinda-banned mod. was ostensibly after....

and all that said, i've never been a daily paul reader. too many things i didn't like about it, but i'm not letting it worry me. you probably shouldn't either.

constituent
02-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Why are people (including Ron Paul himself) so careless with our credibility?

Maybe if Ron Paul is doing it too, it is really your "credibility" that should be in question?

saul4paul
02-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I forget how many times I was banned.

liberalnurse
02-21-2010, 05:40 AM
I still don't get it. What good can possibly come from these repeated attacks on Nystrom/Daily Paul? I've never seen an attack on Liberty Forest at the Daily Paul. So what"s up with these? They're just as passionate and committed as we are. My gosh, people when the DP was down over Christmas, you all welcomed the DP folks to these forums and now you rip on them. I've noticed its the same person posting new and bumping year old threads critical of the DP. It sounds personal to me. If he has a beef with Nystrom then take it to Nystrom/DP. For the sake of unity and the movement leave us out of it. We're all in this together, aren't we?

WRellim
02-21-2010, 07:22 AM

I Am Not A Lawyer -- but that looks to me like an "actionable" threat -- meaning you could either seek charges and/or sue his pants off for it.

At the very least, a nice little "letter" from your attorney would likely shut his piehole (and probably cause the muscles on the other end to clamp tightly shut as well!)
:D

mediahasyou
02-21-2010, 01:33 PM
if you dont like it, dont visit dp.

saul4paul
02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
This thread should be a "sticky".

LibertyMage
02-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I can agree to a degree. I have found that I traffic the DailyPaul less because of this. Ironically, I had problems getting registered to this site for quite a long time. When I was finally given permission I expected to find a hot bed of activism. I have found myself disappointed. There is too much time spent on the minarchy vs anarchy, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Truther, Birther and other conspiracy theories regardless of your beliefs. Take a wild guess how it was associated with Debra Medina. If the effort on infighting was spent on organizing we would be making some serious waves. There have been several posts about the Southern Republican Leadership Conference 2010 and only a handful of people emailing and calling.

I have found that the time spent on my Campaign for Liberty chapter and time spent with YAL has been much more productive and much more rewarding.

sofia
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
i want to barf when i hear some u guys speak about "fringe elements"....you sound like neo-con and MSM media now....

to the "mainstream" the entire Ron Paul movement is "fringe"

once you start down that mushy road to "moderation".....it will never end....

brandon
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
When I was finally given permission I expected to find a hot bed of activism. I have found myself disappointed. There is too much time spent on the minarchy vs anarchy, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Truther, Birther and other conspiracy theories regardless of your beliefs.

That's the nature of an internet discussion forum. Activism should happen in real life for the most part. Any internet forum open to the public will always be more focused on discussion and debate than activism. This is especially true in the absence of a national campaign to support.

disorderlyvision
02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I've been banned from there twice.

hahahahahahaha perhaps from your overuse of the term "legitimate purpose"

i want to barf when i hear some u guys speak about "fringe elements"....you sound like neo-con and MSM media now....

QFT

leipo
02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I don't like the conspiracy posts either, but i don't think it gets pushed to the forefront that much. I didn't even know that Michael was into that stuff. The front page (DP Liberty forum) deals almost exclusively with liberty candidates only. That's what i care about.

Kludge
02-23-2010, 08:16 AM
what, this is unique?

i've seen people's names lorded over them here i don't care to say how often...

and if you're a shit head about the way that you disagree w/ the direction of this site, you'll probably be banned too.

if you don't like what nystrom is doing, don't enable it. don't drive traffic to it, don't boost his ad revenue.

what is to be gained by skewering him in this manner? certainly NOT the anonymity kinda-banned mod. was ostensibly after....

and all that said, i've never been a daily paul reader. too many things i didn't like about it, but i'm not letting it worry me. you probably shouldn't either.

+1.

I´ve never heard of Nystrom or DP outside of RPFs. If he has a cult, I don´t see why we should be intervening. They can do shit their way and we´ll do shit our way. What´s important is that, all in all, we get shit done.

liberalnurse
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
+1.

I´ve never heard of Nystrom or DP outside of RPFs. If he has a cult, I don´t see why we should be intervening. They can do shit their way and we´ll do shit our way. What´s important is that, all in all, we get shit done.

^This

thewhammy
02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
+1.

Yeah, that's a positive way to look at it.

But we also have to bear in mind that people, even people trying to "get shit done" to help the cause, can do a lot of unintentional damage. For instance, they may not realize that they're shoveling the shit into the wind, and it's blowing back in our faces. For those people, they either need to toss the shit in the right direction, or put the shovel down.

It's been three years since the campaign began and really sparked (for lack of a better term) this movement, and I've seen a lot of people jump on board. I'm glad to have them, mostly. But some of them really do hurt us more than they help us, even if it's not their intent.

DP used to be a lot less fringe. At the very least, Nystrom focused on the issues we could all agree on and that didn't make us look like wackos. Go ahead and call me a "neo-con" for suggesting that (which is ironic because one of the LEAST "fringe" issues you can emphasize is RP's noninterventionism, IMO).

I don't think the issue has ever been "mainstreaming" the movement. But the movement needs focus. It's not a movement about 9/11 truth, or the Bilderbergers. People who constantly talk about that stuff at meetings either don't care about RP succeeding, or are blind to the fact that they're weighing us down.

Everyone should pick up a shovel and help out the effort. But if you're too stupid to know which way to toss the crap, and too stubborn to listen to the reasonable guy next to you who is trying to help you out, then you're not helping. That's Nystrom.

I've seen far too many people chased out of this movement, discouraged, etc., because of unreasonable people in the "fringe." And if you search for Ron Paul on Google, Nystrom's fringe factory shows up on the front page. He's speaking for this movement.

If it was "Daily Nystrom" I wouldn't care. I'd agree that we can all "get our shit done." But he's doing his shit: all over hard-working activists who are trying to polish up this rag-tag movement into something that the average person can relate to and say "yeah, that doesn't scare me."

disorderlyvision
02-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Yeah, that's a positive way to look at it.

But we also have to bear in mind that people, even people trying to "get shit done" to help the cause, can do a lot of unintentional damage. For instance, they may not realize that they're shoveling the shit into the wind, and it's blowing back in our faces. For those people, they either need to toss the shit in the right direction, or put the shovel down.

It's been three years since the campaign began and really sparked (for lack of a better term) this movement, and I've seen a lot of people jump on board. I'm glad to have them, mostly. But some of them really do hurt us more than they help us, even if it's not their intent.

DP used to be a lot less fringe. At the very least, Nystrom focused on the issues we could all agree on and that didn't make us look like wackos. Go ahead and call me a "neo-con" for suggesting that (which is ironic because one of the LEAST "fringe" issues you can emphasize is RP's noninterventionism, IMO).

I don't think the issue has ever been "mainstreaming" the movement. But the movement needs focus. It's not a movement about 9/11 truth, or the Bilderbergers. People who constantly talk about that stuff at meetings either don't care about RP succeeding, or are blind to the fact that they're weighing us down.

Everyone should pick up a shovel and help out the effort. But if you're too stupid to know which way to toss the crap, and too stubborn to listen to the reasonable guy next to you who is trying to help you out, then you're not helping. That's Nystrom.

I've seen far too many people chased out of this movement, discouraged, etc., because of unreasonable people in the "fringe." And if you search for Ron Paul on Google, Nystrom's fringe factory shows up on the front page. He's speaking for this movement.

If it was "Daily Nystrom" I wouldn't care. I'd agree that we can all "get our shit done." But he's doing his shit: all over hard-working activists who are trying to polish up this rag-tag movement into something that the average person can relate to and say "yeah, that doesn't scare me."

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/disorderlyvision/dawson-crying.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc329/disorderlyvision/amazingly_posters.jpg

thewhammy
02-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow, Disorderly. That's mature and productive.

disorderlyvision
02-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Wow, Disorderly. That's mature and productive.

As are your posts....What of it?

thewhammy
02-28-2010, 09:03 AM
As are your posts....What of it?Yes, I feel my posts are. I feel that we have to examine the message our movement sends out.

If you're comfortable with "anything goes," that's your choice. We can argue about that some other time. But pathetic pictures and trolling about how you don't give a crap are hypocritical (if you don't care, why'd you post?) and the epitome of juvenile.

Feel free to refrain from responding. Unless you have something of substance to add (which, given your history, you probably do not), I'll be moving on to people and topics that are worth discussing.

ronpaulhawaii
02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
How is this for substance?

YouTube - Cat Herders (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmgLtg1Izw)

Or this?

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” — Thomas Jefferson

Personally, I have little trust of people who attack anonymously. I know Nystrom:

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2597/185/124/663957952/n663957952_2285296_7852573.jpg

and I know his commitment to restoring constitutional gov't is genuine. All I know about you is that you were banned and seem to be the vindictive type.

http://wheelhouseadvisors.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sour-grapes.jpg

The fact remains that this is a big tent freedom movement. A place where the free market of ideas, and hard work, will put sites at the top of google. There are plenty of sites that censor more than DP and RPFs. If you prefer the other sites, see if you can get them to the top. But don't come here and expect help in an anonymous witchhunt.

Thanks.

SelfTaught
02-28-2010, 10:08 AM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2597/185/124/663957952/n663957952_2285296_7852573.jpg

Too close to not be a little gay.

Nevermind, I shouldn't have said anything.

ronpaulhawaii
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Too close to not be a little gay.

Nevermind, I shouldn't have said anything.

:eek: - lulz

AdamT tends to pack his car to the gills. This shot is from CPAC:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs277.ash1/20458_1367294585935_1338804999_1014001_4020055_n.j pg

liberalnurse
02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=ronpaulhawaii

Personally, I have little trust of people who attack anonymously. I know Nystrom:
and I know his commitment to restoring constitutional gov't is genuine. All I know about you is that you were banned and seem to be the vindictive type.

The fact remains that this is a big tent freedom movement. A place where the free market of ideas, and hard work, will put sites at the top of google. There are plenty of sites that censor more than DP and RPFs. If you prefer the other sites, see if you can get them to the top. But don't come here and expect help in an anonymous witchhunt.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I had posted earlier if he had a personal issue with Nystrom, take it to Nystrom and leave us out of it. We're all in this together and these attacks are counterproductive. Thank You RPH for speaking T2P. Peace..

disorderlyvision
02-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Yes, I feel my posts are. I feel that we have to examine the message our movement sends out.

I examined your message and it was full of whine and butthurt.

If you're comfortable with "anything goes," that's your choice.
snug as a bug in a rug

We can argue about that some other time.
If you so desire

But pathetic pictures and trolling about how you don't give a crap are hypocritical (if you don't care, why'd you post?) and the epitome of juvenile.

You are the troll here buddy. You did not deserve a legitimate response.

Feel free to refrain from responding.
No thanks

Unless you have something of substance to add (which, given your history, you probably do not),

Given my history? Awesome are you going to start a witch hunt for me too, Sweet! You will probably find that I have posted 1000's of news articles and commentaries, which I would go out on a limb and say has contributed a lot more "substance" than your whopping 25 posts full of attack. [MOD: Personal attack reported and removed.]

I'll be moving on to people and topics that are worth discussing.
"feel free" to do so

SelfTaught
02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think Nystrom is a malicious person, however, I do think he has retained some leftist tendencies. The posting of documentaries that have a liberal/progressive twist kinda tipped me off to that.

But I don't really give a damn. It's his site. I just steer clear of it altogether. Plus the whole web design of DP is wack as fuck. The only redeeming quality is the front page for people that don't browse the forums and just want a quick overview of shit that's happened recently.

All in all, RPFs is a lot better. If we could post porn on this board, I'd be browsing the forums 24/7.:D

LittleLightShining
02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't think Nystrom is a malicious person, however, I do think he has retained some leftist tendencies. The posting of documentaries that have a liberal/progressive twist kinda tipped me off to that. And....?

Anti Federalist
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM

once you start down that mushy road to "moderation".....it will never end....

That^^^

thewhammy
03-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Sofia,

It's all relative. Sure, you can say that we're all "fringe" because we're a minority viewpoint when it comes to foreign policy, civil liberties, the drug war, the Federal Reserve, etc. But I'd counter that there's a big difference between our differences in ideology and perspectives on various conspiracies. I mean, I can have a discussion with a legitimate socialist who thinks we ought to nationalize healthcare, and disagree with his opinion. But we can learn more about our views and respect each other.

And I don't even think it's a bad thing for people in this movement to discuss what issues are better "sells" when it comes to expanding our base. We should consider what issues are best suited for "non-believers" and emphasize those. Is "end the drug war" a turn-on or turn-off for them? It's a fair question. It doesn't mean you sell out at all. It just means you emphasize different parts of your platform to get your foot in the door and expose people to a new viewpoint.

The real "fringe" approach is taking ideas that aren't even ideological, and that aren't what most in the movement believe in, and placing them front and center. It's just wrong. Sorry, but most Ron Paul supporters are NOT Alex Jones devotees. Most are NOT constantly worrying about chemtrails or researching 9/11 conspiracies. And those "issues" aren't even about freedom. They're completely separate.

That's the "fringe."

Someone wrote a great thread yesterday or the day before on Daily Paul called "Dear Truthers." You can google it if you want. It's not archived, though. It sent a clear message that the "truther" movement and the Ron Paul movement are NOT one and the same, and that there are a lot of non-truthers who are sick of the truthers distorting the situation. It was a very important message, and part of a LEGITIMATE DIALOG we should be having in this movement.

That "champion of free speech" (translation: pandering hypocrite) Michael Nystrom (or one of his lackeys) deleted the thread, of course.

Sorry, but if you're not willing to look in the mirror and ask, "Is the message I convey on my blog/car/yard sign/t-shirt/conversation helpful or hurtful to this movement?" then you're NOT one of the good guys. You may THINK you are. You may spend countless hours toiling for the cause, and thousands of dollars pimping out your car with a Ron Paul paint job. But if you're petitioning in that "truther" T-shirt, or that car also has "9/11 was an inside job" on it, you're actually HURTING this movement.

And if you're one of the freaks like Nystrom, legalizeliberty, or one of their countless cronies, and you swarm threads like this and scream bloody murder, you're just showing how harmful, and how big of a hypocrite, you are. Want "truth" and "transparency" and "free discussion?" That entails other people saying, with good cause, "hey, your approach is hurting recruitment and providing our political opponents ammunition," and you actually respecting their right to say it and taking it into consideration."Free discussion" includes discussion about where discussions are BEST SUITED to take place. Someone saying "Hey, maybe this chemtrails discussion is more suited for the Alex Jones forums than our RP MeetUp," is a LEGITIMATE CONCERN.

Anyway, I've been asked by my friend to not put all the Nystrom stuff on here, as they're working on a long-term project to expose the "fringe" element (including Nystrom) for what it is, and proposing an alternative to the DailyPaul loony bin.

low preference guy
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Today at the Daily Paul, Nymstrom banned topics about 9/11 and Israel. Some statements the OP made now seem false.