PDA

View Full Version : The Making of the Tea Party Movement-TIME

bobbyw24
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM
If any one person is the founder, it's Rick Santelli. A year ago, the CNBC commentator blew a gasket on the air over a plan by the Obama Administration to tackle the foreclosure crisis. Multibillion-dollar proposals were flying like snowflakes in Washington, and Santelli's rant struck a chord with people who wondered where all the money would come from. "We're thinking of having a Chicago Tea Party," Santelli declared, evoking the 1773 protest in Boston Harbor. A movement was born. Egged on by conservative interest groups and leveraging Barack Obama's digital-networking strategies, grass-roots opponents of the President's agenda have made themselves a major factor in U.S. politics.

Naming the Tea Party movement, however, is easier than defining it. Tea Partyism covers a lot of ground and a world of contradictions. It contains Nashville lawyer Judson Phillips, who recently organized the first Tea Party convention at the posh Gaylord Opryland Hotel, charging $549 per ticket and pocketing an undisclosed profit. But the movement also embraces the volunteers who denounced Phillips and his convention as a money-grubbing mistake. The crowd in Nashville cheered as speaker Joseph Farah demanded proof that Obama is a U.S. citizen. "Show us the birth certificate!" Farah cried. But other Tea Partyers were equally delighted when influential blogger Erick Erickson responded to Farah soon afterward by banishing "birthers" from his blog, RedState. "The Tea Party movement is in danger of getting a bad reputation" by courting conspiracists, Erickson wrote.

Read more:

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1964903,00.html#ixzz0fujQP0PE

Brian4Liberty
02-18-2010, 01:44 PM
The Tea Party movement was started on December 16, 1773...

Dunedain
02-18-2010, 01:49 PM
The first modern tea party expression I remember was on December 6th, 2007 - when patriots dumped 4.2 million into Ron Paul's election coffers in a single day.

YouTube - Tea Party 07 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3M2D3V94M)

someperson
02-18-2010, 01:56 PM
I believe it was on December 16th, 2007, and the amount was over $6 million :)

Captain Shays
02-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah but I heard Glen Beck say on his TV show that he started the Tea Party movement

lester1/2jr
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I could care less about it at this point. it's indistinguishable from the mainstream GOP. same old rhetoric about less government and tax cuts. nothing about spending cuts, that's how you know they aren't serious. serious people talk about cutting first

republicans have ALWAYS EVERY YEAR been for these vague less government notions.

stu2002
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Glad to see you back Dunedain. Thought they banned you

lester1/2jr
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
wow what a total nut this woman is

"For Eileen Blackmer, whose Tea Party group in West Central Florida is called the Pinellas Patriots, the issue is trust. She doesn't have any left for the federal government. The answer, therefore, is a smaller government on a very short constitutional leash, with less spending and balanced budgets. Blackmer was galvanized to action by the debate over health care. "I read the entire bill, page after page after page," she said recently. "Everything's 'A committee will be formed.' We do need health care reform, but there are other things to do to control those costs. Quit making backroom deals, and let us have that transparency you keep talking about."

who will protect us from these unhinged psychos

RCA
02-18-2010, 03:43 PM
wow what a total nut this woman is

"For Eileen Blackmer, whose Tea Party group in West Central Florida is called the Pinellas Patriots, the issue is trust. She doesn't have any left for the federal government. The answer, therefore, is a smaller government on a very short constitutional leash, with less spending and balanced budgets. Blackmer was galvanized to action by the debate over health care. "I read the entire bill, page after page after page," she said recently. "Everything's 'A committee will be formed.' We do need health care reform, but there are other things to do to control those costs. Quit making backroom deals, and let us have that transparency you keep talking about."

who will protect us from these unhinged psychos

I don't see anything wrong with what she said.

lester1/2jr
02-18-2010, 03:47 PM
rca- I was kidding

RCA
02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
rca- I was kidding

Oops, my sarcasm radar was unplugged!