PDA

View Full Version : DraftLewRockwell.com

SwordOfShannarah
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I think we need one Libertarian in office for the 2010 cycle. Someone who can break the glass ceiling for the Libertarian party and I think Lew Rockwell is the man to do it, and if not in 2010 then 2012.

I've started up http://www.DraftLewRockwell.com

If there is support for this idea I'll flush it out with banners, etc.

Please go pledge if you want to see him run.

Thanks-

Trevor

brandon
02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I would support him, but I don't see him doing it. He hates politics.

SwordOfShannarah
02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I would support him, but I don't see him doing it. He hates politics.

I understand that, but from our point of view that is exactly why he is right for the job.

Bergie Bergeron
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Wasn't he the one that wrote the racist newsletters?

SwordOfShannarah
02-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Wasn't he the one that wrote the racist newsletters?

I'm pretty sure that's rumor used to discredit him.

disorderlyvision
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
LMAO good luck drafting him

SwordOfShannarah
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
LMAO good luck drafting him

You're right, what's happening in our country IS FUNNY. And we shouldn't seek to encourage people who would be great in office to run.

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I understand that, but from our point of view that is exactly why he is right for the job.
Aint gonna happen, trust me he is too easily defeated.

low preference guy
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

SwordOfShannarah
02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Weird- and to think all I saw before was someone who would be great for our country. Forgive me.

Andrew-Austin
02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Dude, you don't know Lew Rockwell. There is NOT A CHANGE IN HELL he will accept running for office. Sorry to say, but I feel like laughing just form thinking of someone trying to convince him.

+ + + + +

He clearly wouldn't win, and if he ran he would not want to win he would just use it as an opportunity to get ideas out. About the most I could imagine coming from this is that it would assert the the dominance of the Mises Institute libertarians over the CATO libertarians.

If nominated it would be amusing to see him being "interviewed" on MSM news channels though, the anarchist running for President. Haha.

JoshLowry
02-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Weird- and to think all I saw before was someone who would be great for our country. Forgive me.

Eh, it's just people's opinions. :)

Nate
02-18-2010, 02:37 PM

He would be great for our country. He would be the best elected official in the entire country. Just about everyone on this board would love to see Lew in a debate with some neo-con and/or progressive hacks. The problem is that he does not believe in politics or government PERIOD. He is not a minarchist like Ron, Rand, Schiff & Medina. That's what everyone is telling you. He won't run. Go ahead & try, just don't be surprised when he shoots it down himself.

pacelli
02-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Lew Rockwell could cause a dead person to die again from boredom. There is no way in hell that he will attract any more support than Bore Barr.

ctiger2
02-18-2010, 03:08 PM
LOL! Lew HATES the State and wants no part of it.

low preference guy
02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

MRoCkEd
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
He won't. He doesn't believe in political action.

Plus, he would lose. Big time.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I just like the fact that "Draft" and "Lew Rockwell" are being used together.

Epic
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
haha this is going to go nowhere. Lew hates politics, plus there is WAY too much baggage.

SelfTaught
02-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Lew Rockwell is not going to run for office. He is pretty much an anarchist that wants nothing to do with the state, and that includes running for office even if the sole purpose is to eliminate government. He discouraged Peter Schiff from running for Senate. He only accepts Ron Paul because he was formerly a staffer for him.

Drafting Lew Rockwell is not going to work. Take my advice, don't waste your time. Find someone else.

If you ask him, I bet he laughs his ass off. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure this issue has come up before.

MR2Fast2Catch
02-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I think we would have better luck drafting someone like Tom Woods to run for office as a Libertarian. Tom Woods seems to be someone who is more clean cut and would be harder to throw dirt on. Plus he is a great speaker and author.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I think we would have better luck drafting someone like Tom Woods to run for office as a Libertarian. Tom Woods seems to be someone who is more clean cut and would be harder to throw dirt on. Plus he is a great speaker and author.

The same goes for Tom Woods as it goes for Lew Rockwell. Tom is a devout Anarchist like Lew, there is no chance in hell he will ever run for office. Last time I talked to him he talked about his use of talent and that is teaching, like Murray (Who he looks up to A LOT).

Stop trying to recruit anarchists to run for office, it's counter productive.

disorderlyvision
02-19-2010, 08:04 PM
The same goes for Tom Woods as it goes for Lew Rockwell. Tom is a devout Anarchist like Lew, there is no chance in hell he will ever run for office. Last time I talked to him he talked about his use of talent and that is teaching, like Murray (Who he looks up to A LOT).

Plus, don't most of you GOP'ers hate us anarchists and our beliefs. Why in the hell would you want us in office?

low preference guy
02-19-2010, 08:05 PM

Didn't Tom Woods speak at CPAC?

low preference guy
02-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Plus, don't most of you GOP'ers hate us anarchists and our beliefs. Why in the hell would you want us in office?

Not all anarchists. Just those who come to a political activism forum to discourage political activism.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Didn't Tom Woods speak at CPAC?

Yes, and?

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Not all anarchists. Just those who come to a political activism forum to discourage political activism.

Translation: Only political electoral activism is allowed here.

TCE
02-19-2010, 09:39 PM

If you would get into office, you would vote to eliminate all government. Translation: Against any bill that would give the government an ounce more power and against every budget, since they are all unbalanced. Sounds like you would vote exactly how I would vote, so I don't see the problem with getting an anarchist into office. What would you vote for that I wouldn't like?

heavenlyboy34
02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
If you would get into office, you would vote to eliminate all government. Translation: Against any bill that would give the government an ounce more power and against every budget, since they are all unbalanced. Sounds like you would vote exactly how I would vote, so I don't see the problem with getting an anarchist into office. What would you vote for that I wouldn't like?

I can only speak for myself, but I would eliminate government "defense" entirely at the federal level as well as government education, all cabinet positions, and all federal departments. Then I'd eliminate all subsidies, foreign and domestic. Then I'd think of more things to cut. :cool:

disorderlyvision
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Then I'd think of more things to cut. :cool:

like everything ;)

RP4Pres2008
02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
The last place we want someone like Lew is in political office...his website and what he does is too valuable. Also, I mean, the guy was pretty much begging Peter Schiff not to run very early in his run...LOL imagine Lew going around to gather votes LMAO!

TCE
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I would eliminate government "defense" entirely at the federal level as well as government education, all cabinet positions, and all federal departments. Then I'd eliminate all subsidies, foreign and domestic. Then I'd think of more things to cut. :cool:

And, unfortunately, your bills would never get out of committee, so, you would be forced to vote on everyone else's bills, which you would vote against. The only ones you would vote for would like come from Dr. Paul such as legalization of industrial hemp, auditing the Fed, ending the Fed, etc. If you were in the Senate, you'd likely filibuster everything just to try and kill the bills.

All of the things you would do in Congress would be perfectly alright with me.

I'll ask the question again: What would Anarchists vote for/against in the Congress that I wouldn't like?

Nate
02-20-2010, 10:43 PM
And, unfortunately, your bills would never get out of committee, so, you would be forced to vote on everyone else's bills, which you would vote against. The only ones you would vote for would like come from Dr. Paul such as legalization of industrial hemp, auditing the Fed, ending the Fed, etc. If you were in the Senate, you'd likely filibuster everything just to try and kill the bills.

All of the things you would do in Congress would be perfectly alright with me.

I'll ask the question again: What would Anarchists vote for/against in the Congress that I wouldn't like?

Probably nothing. However you are not the typical voter. How many people would even accept let alone support a candidate who'd promise to do nothing but eliminate government whenever he gets the opportunity, no matter what program? Only libertarians & only the very radical ones at that. Right now we have a hard enough time convincing people to vote for minarchists let alone those dreaded anarchists who "want chaos" in the minds of the average individual. An-caps are unelectable. When an-caps are electable we will no longer need them to run for office.

That's if you could even get an an-cap to run in the first place. I HATE government & politics in general. I personally wouldn't want to go to DC at all. I feel a little dirty even campaigning for minarchists, let alone running myself or dipping into that cesspool of statism known as DC. I have enough problems in Chicago. I can't imagine myself in the heart of the beast. I'd bet that most an-caps feel the same way. Although I'd absolutely LOVE to filibuster EVERYTHING as a senator & just shut down the legislative process. How fun. I think I'd just get my copy of Human Action & just read it to the Senate, followed by Atlas Shrugged & then For a New Liberty & Conceived in Liberty . After that I'd start taking requests. Maybe some of those parasites would actually listen & learn something of value for a change. Either that or I'd get shot. I'd put my money on the latter.

Also, I wouldn't vote for the legalization of industrial hemp or marijuana. I'd want them decriminalized and not taxed or regulated. Just get the government's dirty hands out of the entire business. Minor insignificant difference. Maybe? You might agree with that stance as well.

Nate
02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/52096.html

Here is Lew's response. It's about what I thought.

Shotdown1027
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
It's a shame Trevor has become so hairbrained with his ideas. The Peace Blimp first and now this? It's just not sensible. Get back to organizing money bombs for candidates.

SwordOfShannarah
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM
DraftLewRockwell.com jumped to 128 pledges after his post, which sent about 1,200 visitors, that's a 10% sign up rate from his readership--not bad at all. I think there is a lot to be said for Lew Rockwell and others running for office and voting.

MRoCkEd
03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
DraftLewRockwell.com jumped to 128 pledges after his post. I think there is a lot to be said for Lew Rockwell and others running for office and voting.
Can you send out an email asking for pledges for WinRandWin.com?
I sent you an email, but I'm not sure if you got it.

SwordOfShannarah
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM
The last place we want someone like Lew is in political office...his website and what he does is too valuable. Also, I mean, the guy was pretty much begging Peter Schiff not to run very early in his run...LOL imagine Lew going around to gather votes LMAO!

I think the point is being missed here. First there is no reason he can't continue to do what he does, in fact it would mean he could do more of it, if you consider expanding his audience doing more.

Politics, win or lose, is the debate over ideals and philosophies. Lew Rockwell has an ideology to share so what better place is there than politics to discuss it and bring it out into the main stream discussion? Just as Ron Paul has brought issues like the Fed and the constitution back into the dialogue of mainstream America Lew Rockwell can bring his thoughts on questioning the role and or need for government into the mainstream.

It's not just about winning, it's about education. But if Lew were to win he would find himself in a position to take many more actions( to advance his ideology) than he ever has before.

RP4Pres2008
03-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I think the point is being missed here. First there is no reason he can't continue to do what he does, in fact it would mean he could do more of it, if you consider expanding his audience doing more.

Politics, win or lose, is the debate over ideals and philosophies. Lew Rockwell has an ideology to share so what better place is there than politics to discuss it and bring it out into the main stream discussion? Just as Ron Paul has brought issues like the Fed and the constitution back into the dialogue of mainstream America Lew Rockwell can bring his thoughts on questioning the role and or need for government into the mainstream.

It's not just about winning, it's about education. But if Lew were to win he would find himself in a position to take many more actions( to advance his ideology) than he ever has before.

The point being missed is that not everyone is cut out/interested in running for political office. We can't just draft everyone. And education can occur anytime at any place. And as far as "what better place than politics" to discuss his ideology, well his ideology is one of anarcho-capitalism and individuality outside of the state...so within politics would perhaps be the WORST place to spread that message.

Anyway, he already laughed off the idea of running, so it would probably be best to just move on. Would I love for him to run and win, sure, but it is just not realistic.

SwordOfShannarah
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
The point being missed is that not everyone is cut out/interested in running for political office. We can't just draft everyone. And education can occur anytime at any place. And as far as "what better place than politics" to discuss his ideology, well his ideology is one of anarcho-capitalism and individuality outside of the state...so within politics would perhaps be the WORST place to spread that message.

Anyway, he already laughed off the idea of running, so it would probably be best to just move on. Would I love for him to run and win, sure, but it is just not realistic.

Actually we CAN draft anyone we choose. It's just a show of support. Then they will make their own decision. Politics is the best place to talk about an ideology, even one to limit or abolish government. It would be the very best place to spread his message. It's a completely relevant and targeted audience. What more could you ask for?

John Taylor
03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Hate anarchists? No, but running someone for ELECTED OFFICE who doesn't even believe that ANY government should exist whatsoever isn't wise.

Lew probably couldn't be elected dog-catcher if he faced any level of competition.

I love Lew, and I love going to Auburn, and I love listening to lectures and reading my tabbed copy of Human Action, but Lew belongs running a think-tank, not shaking hands and kissing babies.

John Taylor
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
It's a shame Trevor has become so hairbrained with his ideas. The Peace Blimp first and now this? It's just not sensible. Get back to organizing money bombs for candidates.

The Peace Blimp?

Why not pass out copies of Bastiat's "Profession of Faith to the Electors of Saint Sever"???

At lease those would have a lasting educational impact.

LibertarianfromGermany
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Yes, and?

Well, Woods said at that he sees the minarchist state as a step between the status quo and a free society.

bucfish
03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Hate anarchists? No, but running someone for ELECTED OFFICE who doesn't even believe that ANY government should exist whatsoever isn't wise.

Lew probably couldn't be elected dog-catcher if he faced any level of competition.

I love Lew, and I love going to Auburn, and I love listening to lectures and reading my tabbed copy of Human Action, but Lew belongs running a think-tank, not shaking hands and kissing babies.

I would just love to see Lew in a debate.