PDA

View Full Version : My meandering around CPAC

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
At a Leadership Institute presentation now.

Rothbard got a shoutout.

I'm on my Droid, so these updates will be brief.

torchbearer
02-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I hope you ate your damn oatmeal. you are going to need it.
updates every 10 minutes ftw.

Bruno
02-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks in advance for the updates!

VegasPatriot
02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Have fun, and keep a look out for Stewart Rhodes of Oath Keepers. I don't know he is speaking at any particular event... but he will be there for the entire event.

Stewart will also be on Bill O'Reilly's show today to respond to Mark Potok's comment from yesterdays show.

angelatc
02-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Faux News is going to be broadcasting from some thing that Stephen Baldwin set up.I think it's called XPAC. It's supposed to be young and hip, which means it will be totally cheesy. Ya'll should try to get a Rand Paul sign (or a Glenn Beck sucks! LOL!) sign in the background.

Valli6
02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
If you should get wind of how sentiment-towards-Glenn-Beck is running, please let us know. I'm really curious about how he will be received when he gives his speech Saturday night.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I saw John McManus of JBS earlier.

Good talk by Chris Doss of Leadership Institute.

Chair of California Republican Party, Ron Nehring, speaking now.

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Tell Mike Church and the Judge I said "hi".

Also be sure to tell the LOLA ladies that I won't be able to make it this year, I know they'll be disappointed.

rp08orbust
02-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I saw John McManus of JBS earlier.

Good talk by Chris Doss of Leadership Institute.

Chair of California Republican Party, Ron Nehring, speaking now.

How does attendance compare with last year?

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Lots of ppl here.

This Nehring guy is great.

Building relationships is key is the message right now.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Listen
Learn
Help
Lead

haaaylee
02-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Also be sure to tell the LOLA ladies that I won't be able to make it this year, I know they'll be disappointed.

If you guys are so close just call them up and say hi yourself.

RyanRSheets
02-18-2010, 11:07 AM

lol

I feel like you have got to be trolling.

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
If you guys are so close just call them up and say hi yourself.
I have already :p

pacelli
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Have fun, and keep a look out for Stewart Rhodes of Oath Keepers. I don't know he is speaking at any particular event... but he will be there for the entire event.

Stewart will also be on Bill O'Reilly's show today to respond to Mark Potok's comment from yesterdays show.

Mark Potluck, really? That's honestly the best 'they' can do? What in the hell is anybody worried about?

Epic
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Dick Cheney just made a surprise appearance... and the crowd is giving him a several-minute standing ovation and raucous cheering...

RyanRSheets
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
dick cheney just made a surprise appearance... And the crowd is giving him a several-minute standing ovation and raucous cheering...

$*#@&@#@)(*#$%#)(*@#

seriously?

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Met ronpaulhawaii, adamt and malkusm

Now going to listen to tom dilorenzo skewer Lincoln

CGeoffrion
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Now going to listen to tom dilorenzo skewer Lincoln

I hope there's video of all these speeches, would absolutely love to hear them

FrankRep
02-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope you ate your damn oatmeal. you are going to need it.
updates every 10 minutes ftw.

:p

DapperDan
02-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Dick Cheney just made a surprise appearance... and the crowd is giving him a several-minute standing ovation and raucous cheering...

http://s-ec-sm.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2009/3/20/15/but-then-i-seriousd-again-when-i-read-all-the-15648-1237576479-4.jpg

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM

Now going to listen to tom dilorenzo skewer LincolnRPH is a good guy, I met him at the St Louis event.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Dilorenzo was AWESOME.

Woods is on fire now. He was introduced by the Southern Avenger.

JoshLowry
02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Very cool!

Keep the updates coming.

marc1888
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
If you meet my muslim brother Grover Norquist please pass on my salaams. :)

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Dilorenzo was AWESOME.

Jack is awesome, so are the Toms.

Having Andy, Mike, Ron, and Bruce in the same room with those guys is beyond bliss!!! :D:D:D:D

Krugerrand
02-18-2010, 02:20 PM

appearance confirmed. ... no mention of ovation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100218/ap_on_el_ge/us_cheney_conservatives
WASHINGTON – Former Vice President Dick Cheney has told conservative political activists he thinks Barack Obama is a "one-term president."

In a surprise appearance at a conference of the Conservative Political Action Conference, Cheney also said he believes 2010 will be a big year for Republicans, citing GOP victories in the Massachusetts Senate race last month and in New Jersey and Virginia governor's races earlier as "enormously encouraging" for party prospects this fall.

Cheney had accompanied his daughter, Liz Cheney, to the conference as "arm candy."

haaaylee
02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
VIA Tom's Facebook:

"Tom Woods - Hey gang, Dave Nalle, who heads the Republican Liberty Caucus, is attacking me and anyone else (including Lew Rockwell and Tom DiLorenzo) who takes a non-p.c. view of Lincoln and secession. Just thought you should know."

georgiaboy
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
good stuff, C. thanks for the inside view.

moostraks
02-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Dilorenzo was AWESOME.

Would have loved to have seen Dilorenzo. Color me green with envy!

kaleidoscope eyes
02-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Love the updates Cow. Almost feels like I'm there. :p Yeah, I'm a lil jealous too! Wish I could've gone.

RCA
02-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Why was Cheney at CPAC?

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
VIA Tom's Facebook:

"Tom Woods - Hey gang, Dave Nalle, who heads the Republican Liberty Caucus, is attacking me and anyone else (including Lew Rockwell and Tom DiLorenzo) who takes a non-p.c. view of Lincoln and secession. Just thought you should know."
Oh geeze...... *FACEPALM*

HOLLYWOOD
02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
It appears via C-SPAN's live coverage of the event... the Republicans are trying to align themselves with the Tea Party activism.

Did anyone catch the blogger panel at CPAC (Erick Erickson, Tucker Carlson, Townhall's Jonathan Garthwaite, Washington Examiner's Mark Tapscott)?

Q&A on activism, Tucker replied, "Just vote with your conscience. Do what you think is right and not the, 'I'm not voting for that candidate because he doesn't have a chance to win or "others say he's crazy"

How about that little subliminal statement from Tucker, eh?

dannno
02-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Are people talking about the terrorist attack in Austin?

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Okay so back at the room.

I have to say, Tom DiLorenzo and Tom Woods were awesome!! The best part about these gents are that they have direct citations for all the evidence they use to refute the orthodoxy taught in our schools about topics like Lincoln, Nullification, etc. I'd almost say Woods used too many citations, and he even mentioned he could go on and on about them, but then shifted gears.

Woods has a book titled "Nullification" coming out in I believe June. He slammed Chris Matthews many times.

When DiLorenzo was asked about Doris Kearns-Goodwin in respect to her book about Lincoln, DiLorenzo thoroughly castigated her for being a plagiarist, and has written a 20 page review and deconstruction of her book.

After those two talks, I stopped in the main ballroom to hear a little bit of Phyllis Schlafly who was blasting RINOS and Big Gov Conservatives. She is quite the firey dame, I must say for her age. I left the main ballroom after a few minutes and descended to XPAC. They have a bunch of TVs setup and the area is setup like a lounge, but nothing was going on other than a few kids playing video games.

After that I was solicited by the group Wake Up America. I think their goal is to build an email list through MLM for people with shared principles. I don't do internet marketing so I politely accepted the pitch, took some lit and moved on. Next, I was solicited by a group that does some sort of aggregator (and the focus would be conservative news) to blackberry and iphone wireless devices. I pulled out my Droid, and moved on.

I meandered around the booths. Donated $15 of a $20 bill to a nice LOLA lady who was manning a booth distributing calendars (sweeeeeeet). I met John McManus of the John Birch Society at their booth, and thanked him for fighting for the cause of liberty for all these years.

There are lots of pro-traditional-marriage, pro-life groups and even one Anti-homosexual-agenda group (who I give them credit, had a cool knight/crusader helm reproduction on their table). I almost asked if they'd let me wear it, but figured my pumpkin head was too big as it was, and that they were probably pretty serious folks if they brought a shiney helmet to a conference.

I met one nice fellow manning the Gun Owners of America booth. I think Larry Pratt is a great patriot, and a tireless defender of the second amendment and liberty. I signed up for a Life Membership.

List of random schwag I've picked up. People are handing out stuff everrrrrywhere.

1.) 10 Reasons Why Homosexual "Marriage" is Harmful and Must be Opposed.
2.) Freedom Defense Initiative Presents: JIHAD - The POLITICAL THIRD RAIL
3.) Draft Kudlow (to oppose Chuck Schumer for Senate)
4.) Concerned Wmen for America FACT Card
5.) Young American Revolution - A publication of Young Americans for Liberty
6.) National Organization for Marriage - STOP THE REPEAL OF DOMA
7.) Free State Project - Join!
8.) Political Direct Mail Fund Raising - Bruce W. Eberle
9.) Campaigns and Elections - Politics - Cracks in the Establishment
10.) John M. Ashbrook - Center for Public Affairs - Constitution/Declaration/Lincoln stuff (lol)
11.) FIRE Quarterly - Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (campus watchdog for dissent stiflers --- girl I talked to was cuuuute)
12.) Center for Individual Freedom - Stop Net Neutrality!
13.) JBS Handout on the CFR
14.) OATHKEEPERS Bumpersticker
15.) My favorite schwag - LIBERTY IS HOT Calendar. Booyah

6pm there is a reception to start drinking. 7:30 is the Presidential Banquet. Since Dick Cheney is floating around, I wouldn't be surprised if G Dubbs shows up to get the other award (but that is pure speculation on my part), but I assume Dick Cheney gets one of them.

There is a campaign to draft Dick Cheney for 2012 going on. I'm not kidding. He won't run though because I'm pretty sure that'd be the last of him (during campaign season).

While there is a thirst for killn dem terrists, I have to say that Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign For LIberty have a TON, TON of volunteers, and they most definitely made sure everyone knows about any events.

The line to have Judge Napolitano sign a book was very long. There were lots of copies of his books floating around, not to mention DiLorenzo and Woods signing books.

Freedom is CERTAINLY pushing back against the authoritarians at this CPAC.

Annihilia
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the updates. It feels like I'm there!

Get some pics on that fancy phone of yours too.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Are people talking about the terrorist attack in Austin?

Danno --- not really. I will bring it up at dinner tonight. Here is to hoping the dinner isn't too stuffy.

Funny note. I am seated at Table #1 tomorrow night as opposed to Table #43 tonight. Hopefully I can gin up some good conversations.

FYI -- John Birch Society distributed a DVD in every single bag that comes with a CPAC ticket. It's called "Overview of America" -- I have never watched it.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 04:14 PM
One thing that sucks, is that the internet for my wireless devices (i have a blackberry and a droid) is pretty crappy, as evidenced by the Duplicate posts I did earlier. It killed the battery on my blackberry as it was constantly searching for a network, and the Droid kept timing out in certain areas.

sucks.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the updates. It feels like I'm there!

Get some pics on that fancy phone of yours too.

I will try to get some pictures

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I meandered around the booths. Donated $15 of a $20 bill to a nice LOLA lady who was manning a booth distributing calendars (sweeeeeeet). Just wait until their parties! :D:D:D:D

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=329063180103

The line to have Judge Napolitano sign a book was very long. Mine just arrived in the mail today! :cool:

lx43
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Throw a pie in Cheney's face. lol

Chester Copperpot
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM
At a Leadership Institute presentation now.

Rothbard got a shoutout.

I'm on my Droid, so these updates will be brief.

I thought you were from Australia?

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I left the dinner (missed george will) but got to see judge nap give a grreat speech. Ron is speaking now.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I left the dinner (missed george will) but got to see judge nap give a grreat speech. Ron is speaking now.

eok321
02-18-2010, 08:33 PM
live stream but no sound:(

http://www.campaignforliberty.com/

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Judge Napolitano is by far the best speaker about liberty to whom I have ever listened.

TheConstitutionLives
02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Okay so back at the room.

I have to say, Tom DiLorenzo and Tom Woods were awesome!! The best part about these gents are that they have direct citations for all the evidence they use to refute the orthodoxy taught in our schools about topics like Lincoln, Nullification, etc. I'd almost say Woods used too many citations, and he even mentioned he could go on and on about them, but then shifted gears.

Woods has a book titled "Nullification" coming out in I believe June. He slammed Chris Matthews many times.

When DiLorenzo was asked about Doris Kearns-Goodwin in respect to her book about Lincoln, DiLorenzo thoroughly castigated her for being a plagiarist, and has written a 20 page review and deconstruction of her book.

After those two talks, I stopped in the main ballroom to hear a little bit of Phyllis Schlafly who was blasting RINOS and Big Gov Conservatives. She is quite the firey dame, I must say for her age. I left the main ballroom after a few minutes and descended to XPAC. They have a bunch of TVs setup and the area is setup like a lounge, but nothing was going on other than a few kids playing video games.

After that I was solicited by the group Wake Up America. I think their goal is to build an email list through MLM for people with shared principles. I don't do internet marketing so I politely accepted the pitch, took some lit and moved on. Next, I was solicited by a group that does some sort of aggregator (and the focus would be conservative news) to blackberry and iphone wireless devices. I pulled out my Droid, and moved on.

I meandered around the booths. Donated $15 of a $20 bill to a nice LOLA lady who was manning a booth distributing calendars (sweeeeeeet). I met John McManus of the John Birch Society at their booth, and thanked him for fighting for the cause of liberty for all these years.

There are lots of pro-traditional-marriage, pro-life groups and even one Anti-homosexual-agenda group (who I give them credit, had a cool knight/crusader helm reproduction on their table). I almost asked if they'd let me wear it, but figured my pumpkin head was too big as it was, and that they were probably pretty serious folks if they brought a shiney helmet to a conference.

I met one nice fellow manning the Gun Owners of America booth. I think Larry Pratt is a great patriot, and a tireless defender of the second amendment and liberty. I signed up for a Life Membership.

List of random schwag I've picked up. People are handing out stuff everrrrrywhere.

1.) 10 Reasons Why Homosexual "Marriage" is Harmful and Must be Opposed.
2.) Freedom Defense Initiative Presents: JIHAD - The POLITICAL THIRD RAIL
3.) Draft Kudlow (to oppose Chuck Schumer for Senate)
4.) Concerned Wmen for America FACT Card
5.) Young American Revolution - A publication of Young Americans for Liberty
6.) National Organization for Marriage - STOP THE REPEAL OF DOMA
7.) Free State Project - Join!
8.) Political Direct Mail Fund Raising - Bruce W. Eberle
9.) Campaigns and Elections - Politics - Cracks in the Establishment
10.) John M. Ashbrook - Center for Public Affairs - Constitution/Declaration/Lincoln stuff (lol)
11.) FIRE Quarterly - Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (campus watchdog for dissent stiflers --- girl I talked to was cuuuute)
12.) Center for Individual Freedom - Stop Net Neutrality!
13.) JBS Handout on the CFR
14.) OATHKEEPERS Bumpersticker
15.) My favorite schwag - LIBERTY IS HOT Calendar. Booyah

6pm there is a reception to start drinking. 7:30 is the Presidential Banquet. Since Dick Cheney is floating around, I wouldn't be surprised if G Dubbs shows up to get the other award (but that is pure speculation on my part), but I assume Dick Cheney gets one of them.

There is a campaign to draft Dick Cheney for 2012 going on. I'm not kidding. He won't run though because I'm pretty sure that'd be the last of him (during campaign season).

While there is a thirst for killn dem terrists, I have to say that Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign For LIberty have a TON, TON of volunteers, and they most definitely made sure everyone knows about any events.

The line to have Judge Napolitano sign a book was very long. There were lots of copies of his books floating around, not to mention DiLorenzo and Woods signing books.

Freedom is CERTAINLY pushing back against the authoritarians at this CPAC.

Other than all the Jesus for President and *****s are going to Hell bullsh*t it sounds pretty cool.

haaaylee
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Judge Napolitano is by far the best speaker about liberty to whom I have ever listened.

Sorry, Thomas Woods trumps the Judge.

Cowlesy
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Funny random pic of me sitting with Governor Johnson in the back at the Liberty Forum haha

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7179/governatori.jpg

Roxi
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
nice thanks!

Anti Federalist
02-18-2010, 11:36 PM
appearance confirmed. ... no mention of ovation

Heard the clip on Limp-baugh.

Yeah, it was two minutes of hearty cheering.

Matt Collins
02-18-2010, 11:51 PM
DUH!

I could've told you that :D

Try reading his books sometime :)

Anti Federalist
02-18-2010, 11:55 PM

+1

Ricky201
02-19-2010, 12:10 AM

How is it that we are not trying to draft him for President in 2012 yet?

RyanRSheets
02-19-2010, 12:14 AM
The Judge is an excellent speaker, but I think Thomas Woods is freaking outstanding, and Adam Kokesh is amazing. I don't know who is the best of the three, but they are all superb. Rand is also a good speaker, but it is frustrating to see him speak like a neocon so often.

Cowlesy
02-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm being a drag-ass this morning, watching the market open and shifting the portfolio around a bit. Also taking care of business needs. Marriott Hotel coffee in the room is actually pretty good.

On tap for the day:

oh before that, I have to say --- there are a lot of bow-tie wearing people here that I would like to mess with -- but I don't.

Ok,

JIHAD - Third Rail --- got to see what these guys are saying

Saving Freedom from Big Labor - John Tate moderating the discussion

Saving Freedom - Defending the Constitution --- Steve Bierfeldt on the panel representing the true freedom POV

Fundraising Workshop - Leadership Institute

Obamanomics -- Tim Carney and Nick Gillespie (invited)

How many crimes have you committed today? -- David Keene on the panel

4:30 PM -- RON PAUL speech in the ballrooom

6:00PM - free beer (well i'm sure i paid for it somehow)

7:30PM - dinner

after dinner --- we shall see

angelatc
02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Are the crowds cross-pollinating at all?

rancher89
02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
oh before that, i have to say --- there are a lot of bow-tie wearing people here that i would like to mess with -- but i don't.

<<<snip>>>

after dinner --- we shall see

roflmao :d

Bruno
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Music to my ears. :)

Can't wait for the recap!

Bruno
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Conservatives Pack Largest-Ever CPAC
Thursday, 18 Feb 2010 10:39 AM Article Font Size
By: Ronald Kessler

This time last year, pundits were predicting the end of conservatism and the Republican Party.

So-called conservative columnists like David Frum, formerly of National Review, and David Brooks of The New York Times were warning conservatives that something was wrong with their beliefs.

But Dave Keene, chairman of the American Conservative Union, was predicting that President Obama would overreach and help Republicans return to power.

As the elections in Massachusetts, Virginia, and New Jersey demonstrated, Keene was dead on.

This week, Keene presides over the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), where a 28 percent increase in registrations over last year underscores his optimism. With more than 10,000 conservative activists attending this year, CPAC has moved to Washington’s Marriott Wardman Park Hotel, where the ballroom holds 2 1/2 times more people than at the previous location.

Besides speeches by the likes of Mitt Romney, Marco Rubio, Newt Gingrich, Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Liz Cheney, and George Will, CPAC features panels focusing on issues, workshops on campaign techniques, booths run by 96 co-sponsors, and receptions and dinners.

“The difference between this year and previous years is that we really are in the midst of a revitalization of commitment to conservative ideals at the grass roots,” Keene tells Newsmax. “The town-hall meetings, the tea parties, the sort of unwillingness of conservatives at the local level to be directed by establishment politicians and establishment parties, while being dedicated to the very values that national conservatives have been arguing for years, is really a rebirth of the conservative movement.”

In contrast, “All you have to do is think back a year or so, when Barack Obama and the Democrats and the liberals were riding high and we were told that the days of conservative ascendancy had ended, that the conservative philosophy was no longer saleable,” Keene says. “Even some within our own midst were saying that this dedication to limited government just wouldn’t sell in the modern world, that we needed to abandon those kinds of things and get with the program.”

Now, Keene says, “It is precisely those traditional values, that traditional view that individuals rather than the state ought to be making decisions, that has revitalized the movement all the way down to every locality that you can imagine. And that is now flowing in and strengthening the movement nationally as well.”

Looking back, Keene says he underestimated just how much Obama would overreach.

In Keene’s view, Obama “really does seem to believe that the American people really want him to do what he wants to do. And to the extent that they don’t get lined up behind him, it’s either a result of some conspiracy from the right or the influence of cable news and talking heads, or it’s because for some reason the public isn’t smart enough to absorb what he really wants to do for them.”

As it turns out, Obama “misread the public,” Keene says. “In a democratic system, if you misread the public and you try to take people out into a direction they don’t want to go, and you push it enough, you’re going to get just the kind of push-back that Obama’s gotten. And that push-back may not only spell troubled days for him, but it could doom his party in the next election.”

The public’s growing disenchantment with Obama has helped spawn the tea party movement, which strengthens this revitalization of the conservative movement, Keene says.

“You’ve got a boiling ferment at the local level as people who’ve never been involved in politics before are saying, We’re scared,” Keene observes. "They say the country’s off track, something needs to be done, the government’s spending too much money, nobody’s listening to us. And they have become a movement on their own.”

As a result, “We’ve got a spontaneity that is most probably reminiscent of the way the movement developed in the late ’60s and early ’70s before the national victories that began the centralization of the movement in Washington,” Keene says.

While Sarah Palin has positioned herself as a spokesperson for grass-roots activists, she has so far declined to speak at CPAC.

“We’ve invited her, and she’s been unable to make it for the last three years,” Keene says. “She said last year she was going to make it and then wasn’t able to. This year she’s been on her book tour, and she’s got other things, and she did the so-called tea party convention, and I don’t know what she’s doing right now. But we’re hoping that she’ll be with us next time.”

As in the past, the ACU’s foundation, which actually runs CPAC, has priced tickets so students can buy them.

“The first CPAC was held in 1973,” Keene says. “It had about 125 people attending, and Ronald Reagan was the speaker.”

Reagan proved to be a loyal fan of CPAC, speaking at 17 of them. At one of the dinners, the president mentioned to Keene that he could talk to rich people and establishment Republicans any time.

“But,” Reagan said, “this is the only place that I can come to and talk to the people that got me to where I am today, the people who make up this movement. It’s the only place where they get together annually. It’s the only place they can afford to attend, because they’re not the rich people, they’re not the grandees.”

Reagan asked Keene to promise that he will never change CPAC so that it becomes impossible for those people to come.

“Keep the price low, make sure that you’re bringing in new people, and keep CPAC what it’s become and what it ought to always be,” Reagan said.
Given that half the attendees this year will be college students, CPAC has remained true to that request.

malkusm
02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I guess I'll offer up my updates to this thread, although Cowlesy has done a pretty good job. (I'm still at the house, didn't see any events that intrigue me until Ron's speech at 4:30 so I'll head over around 2 and stalk out a good front row table for that one.)

Arrived around 10:45, went down to the C4L booth to start my volunteer shift. Handed out probably close to 500 flyers myself - some were just general info on C4L, some were promoting events and speeches throughout the week. C4L has about 670 volunteers, I'm told (that's not a typo....but it IS awesome).

Got done around 2 in time to head upstairs and catch Tom Woods' speech on nullification. Afterwards, I took my copy of The Real Lincoln back down to the C4L booth and had it signed by Tom DiLorenzo. Hopped out for some fast food, and came back in time to get my copy of Meltdown signed by Woods (who remembered me from the Mises' ASC last March....amazing memory).

Came back to CPAC at 8:30 for the Liberty Forum and saw Gov. Gary Johnson standing in the back of the room. Event was standing room only -- must have been a solid 1,000 people in attendance. Stayed through the Judge and Ron Paul's speeches (both excellent, although Ron skipped around quite a bit and seemed almost frantic), and a nice question and answer session. Some neocons even got up and asked about foreign policy during the Q&A.

I think it's important to note: Tom Woods started the Q&A by asking Ron "Given the number of people you influenced running for president in 2008, and knowing how many more you might influence by running in 2012, what reasons can you give me for NOT running for president?" To which there was thunderous applause, followed by Ron sheepishly saying "I don't have an answer for that." :D

Afterparty at Adams Mill was good, packed, and Gov. Johnson and Michael Maresco were both in attendance. (I wish I had gotten a picture of the two of them talking in a crowded bar.) Gov. Johnson stayed for a good hour and a half and met with everyone there (probably 100 of us) and answered questions -- he assured me that his schedule was very active in the coming months and mentioned that his next stop after DC was Portland, OR for 5 days (so all you people from Oregon should be on the lookout).

I also met all the chatroom goons after Woods' nullification speech, and a lot of the forum members are eating out tonight.

A lot of neocons, but a lot of positive work being done -- and I hope that we will see the results of that work when the straw poll results are released. :)

Bruno
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the update, malkusm!

"I think it's important to note: Tom Woods started the Q&A by asking Ron "Given the number of people you influenced running for president in 2008, and knowing how many more you might influence by running in 2012, what reasons can you give me for NOT running for president?" To which there was thunderous applause, followed by Ron sheepishly saying "I don't have an answer for that."

Awesome! :D

JoshLowry
02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Great updates!

HOLLYWOOD
02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Music to my ears. :)

Can't wait for the recap!

Here's the 'AGENDA' schedule if anyone needs to know the time lines: http://www.cpac.org/agenda_20908.html

Man this CPAC stuff is getting revolting...

Last years recipient of the "Defender of the US Constitution Award"

Rush Limbaugh

This years recipient of the "Defender of the US Constitution Award"

John Ashcroft

Ashcroft? Are you fuckin kidding me?

Ashcroft is a closet liberal. He championed a broad expansion of government power to investigate possible terrorist cells through the USA Patriot Act, authorized the detention of hundreds of Americans without charges in the days after Sept. 11, secured new authority to peer into private records even in libraries, and oversaw legal interpretations that opened the door to torture. Even KooKoo Bird John Kerry said, "Ashcroft shredded the Constitution".

Well, at least Linda Chavez's yesterday morning's intro credited Ron Paul and his grassroots as the start of the TEA PARTIES.

Glenn "The NEOCON Entertainer" Beck is on at 6PM ET 3PM PT

LittleLightShining
02-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Here's the 'AGENDA' schedule if anyone needs to know the time lines: [/URL][URL]http://www.cpac.org/agenda_20908.html (http://www.cpac.org/agenda_20908.html)

Man this CPAC stuff is getting revolting...

Last years recipient of the "Defender of the US Constitution Award"

Rush Limbaugh

John Ashcroft

Ashcroft? Are you fuckin kidding me?

Ashcroft is a closet liberal. He championed a broad expansion of government power to investigate possible terrorist cells through the USA Patriot Act, authorized the detention of hundreds of Americans without charges in the days after Sept. 11, secured new authority to peer into private records even in libraries, and oversaw legal interpretations that opened the door to torture. Even KooKoo Bird John Kerry said, "Ashcroft shredded the Constitution".

Well, at least Linda Chavez's yesterday morning's intro credited Ron Paul and his grassroots as the start of the TEA PARTIES.
Glenn "The NEOCON Entertainer" Beck is on at 6PM ET 3PM PT

Well, sure. Then when Ron wins the straw poll everyone who doesn't know better will equate him with Cheney, Bush, Ashcroft and Beck.

pacelli
02-19-2010, 01:55 PM

John Ashcroft

YouTube - Let the Eagle Soar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmMGYv3mag)

pacelli
02-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Is it true that they are not allowing people to boo?

LittleLightShining
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Are the chatkids there? I was hoping for some updates from them, too.

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Here is my latest/greatest update from CPAC.

Tonight I went to the Ronald Reagan banquet, and sat next to without question the most obnoxious, Fox News'ian/drone, hyperactive conservative kid I have ever met. He is approximately 23, and was a Philosophy major at some school whose name I cannot remember.

After he vigorously shook my hand (I am not wearing any C4L or Ron Paul gear), he proceeds to tell me how he loves CPAC, and that he walked out of the Ron Paul speech because the guy is a crazy scumbag...and that he was surprised that more people didn't walk out.

Wow okay---so this is going to be a nice dinner.

Since we apparently are going to be uber-formal unlike 99.99% of the rest of the people there, we stand at the table (while the waiter waits for us to sit to pour our salad dressing) until permitted to be seated by the emcee. I internally "LOL" at this, and go say hello to John McManus, President of the John Birch Society (who is sitting nearby). Mr. McManus is a former marine, and at one point the emcee was praising each branch of the armed services by having them stand up, so it was nice to see Mr. McManus stand up and be praised unknowingly by so many who don't understand the John Birch Society.

So for you guys who know a thing or two about philosophy, Mr. Philosophy major proceeds to tell me when asked by me who his favorite philosophers were, that far and away Thomas Hobbes and his book, "leh-vee-a-thun" was his favorite book.

At this point, I take an extra large swig of red wine, and nod my head (and think, "Leh-VY-a-THAN"?). Unable to control myself, I politely ask him to explain why he favors a philosopher who believes a State is needed to protect ourselves, from ourselves (Hobbes' "State of Nature"), he says, "Well he's a great writer.....who's your favorite baseball team?"

I smile, and answer, "The Pirates!" He hyperactively laughs and makes fun of the Pirates.

Douchebag.

And I am friends with all types. But this kid, at every single applause line, is up on his feet clapping---it's like a standing ovation every 3 minutes. The kid even says to me, "Oh god, Fox News is all I watch. They are my source for EVERYTHING."

I really, honestly, am not kidding or exaggerating.

I could type paragraphs about this dinner, but I don't want you to click off the post until you read the good stuff.

So on Thursday, I received a flier for the Ladies of Liberty Alliance ("LOLA") after-party for Friday evening. Of course, as most of us on this forum would acknowledge, liberty ladies, a freedom agenda and alcohol are a perfect mix.

I took about a $12 cab-ride to the bar where the LOLA ladies were meeting. I caught up with our own malkusm, said hello to ladyjade3, met some folks from the Student Liberty Front of Philadelphia, and drank copious amounts of alcohol. I even saw my old compatriots Violet and Nick from the 2007 original Ron Paul Meetup group. I met John Berlau of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, Kurt Wallace who is running Libertypulse.com and recruitjackhunter.com, and Kelly Jane Torrance from the American Conservative.

The night apex'd with a date auction of the extremely lovely LOLA ladies. I of course began bidding immediately for a dinner with 6, yes, 6 ladies of liberty at ONCE, but was foiled by a gentleman in the front of the room who also believed in their cause, and put my bidding to shame.

Several auctions of individual dinners with the LOLA ladies went by, and then arrived a lunch-date with Allison Gibbs, and one of her fellow LOLA ladies.

Let me say one thing about Allison Gibbs. Most of you guys who are truly active already know her from working with the Campaign For Liberty. I want to say that I think she has done an OUTSTANDING job at coordinating a large amount of volunteers, and saturating the biggest CPAC ever with the message of liberty. Why I single her out for exceptionalism is that she was taking on the task of coordinating C4L volunteers, she was also helping run the LOLA booth...not to mention the fact she FOUNDED LOLA, and was a key organizer in tonight's party. Clearly she has lots of help, but as someone who deals with lots of multitasking daily, I was impressed.

Building on my note above, I want to say something about Risk. It takes a special person to say, "I am going to start an organization from scratch. I am going to take the risk that the organization may just simply fail. But no one else has started it, so I am going to do it. I'm not sure how we'll fund it, but we will find a way."

To stem my gushing about the awesomeness of LOLA, I ended up finally winning an auction for a lunch date with Allison and one of her compatriots. And while you may think I did it just because she is as all of you know smokin' and extremely adorable, my true reason is I am excited to talk Shop with them and find out how they can work with all of us on expanding the message of freedom to more ladies in our society. My personal belief is ladies are an under-tapped asset, and LOLA is working hard to reach them.

I believe we strongly need to support their mission, and help them however we can. I believe Ron Paul would strongly endorse my statement.

http://www.iamlola.org/

Okay, enough gushing about LOLA.

So at the LOLA after-party (:p) I was pleased to meet Jack Hunter, the Southern Avenger, and Mike Church who hosts a radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Now most of you already know Jack Hunter believes in liberty, but I want you all to get to know Mike Church.

This guy is freaking awesome. You want to know someone who stood up for Debra Medina and was proud to do so? Talk to Mike Church.

In fact, Mike wants us to find other candidates, who we have objectively and thoroughly vetted, that support our cause to come on his show. I haven't talked to Allison yet, but he is excited to have her or a LOLA rep on his show at some point to talk about their cause.

The great part of the conversation I had with Mike Church was our mutual agreement on the need to build coalitions. I agreed with Mike that we are taking steps in the wrong direction when we slam those who have a sincere difference in opinion. If someone who is as strongly opinionated as Mike can attend CPAC and mingle with those who don't agree with us, all of you should do so as well. Those who are not sincere, like certain talk-radio/tv-show hosts, Mr. Church had a very DIFFERENT opinion on. I'll leave it at that.

Mike Church is thoroughly in the Freedom Camp, and I hope you will consider tuning into his show and supporting his effort. I was proud to meet such a fine gentleman this evening. www.mikechurch.com

In closing, and I doubt many will get this far in the post, it really felt like 2007 to me tonight. It wasn't just the simply amazing Allison, or the thinker like Mike Church, but everyone else I met that made tonight so much fun. I even ran into Norm Singleton who works in Ron Paul's office. FREEDOM was ALIVE AND WELL tonight in NW Washington D.C. Plans are being made (Malkus even identified an infiltrator trying to get people to say things) to keep pushing our rEVOLution, as we truly are reaching new people each and every day.

I haven't really Moderated today or the day before, but if people have been down in the dumps on the forum, I ask you to wipe those feelings and re-engage. There are young and old people on the ground fighting for individual liberty, and they really need your help. Each extra person who participates is incremental fuel to the fire of liberty, and we need you all.

(I may give this post a few courtesy bumps since I am making it at 4:20AM EST).

:)

Kludge
02-20-2010, 03:36 AM
My personal belief is ladies are an under-tapped asset

Still a bit tipsy? :p

Interesting write-up. :)

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Still a bit tipsy? :p

Interesting write-up. :)

Not at all actually. I wouldn't dare do a write-up if I didn't have least 90% of my faculties.

Thanks for pointing out my unintended pun. (I think it was a pun?) :p

Natalie
02-20-2010, 03:42 AM

Tonight I went to the Ronald Reagan banquet, and sat next to without question the most obnoxious, Fox News'ian/drone, hyperactive conservative kid I have ever met. He is approximately 23, and was a Philosophy major at some school whose name I cannot remember.

After he vigorously shook my hand (I am not wearing any C4L or Ron Paul gear), he proceeds to tell me how he loves CPAC, and that he walked out of the Ron Paul speech because the guy is a crazy scumbag...and that he was surprised that more people didn't walk out.

Since we apparently are going to be uber-formal unlike 99.99% of the rest of the people there, we stand at the table (while the waiter waits for us to sit to pour our salad dressing) until permitted to be seated by the emcee. I internally "LOL" at this, and go say hello to John McManus, President of the John Birch Society (who is sitting nearby). Mr. McManus is a former marine, and at one point the emcee was praising each branch of the armed services by having them stand up, so it was nice to see Mr. McManus stand up and be praised unknowingly by so many who don't understand the John Birch Society.

So for you guys who know a thing or two about philosophy, Mr. Philosophy major proceeds to tell me when asked by me who his favorite philosophers were, that far and away Thomas Hobbes and his book, "leh-vee-a-thun" was his favorite book.

At this point, I take an extra large swig of red wine, and nod my head (and think, "Leh-VY-a-THAN"?). Unable to control myself, I politely ask him to explain why he favors a philosopher who believes a State is needed to protect ourselves, from ourselves (Hobbes' "State of Nature"), he says, "Well he's a great writer.....who's your favorite baseball team?"

I smile, and answer, "The Pirates!" He hyperactively laughs and makes fun of the Pirates.

Douchebag.

And I am friends with all types. But this kid, at every single applause line, is up on his feet clapping---it's like a standing ovation every 3 minutes. The kid even says to me, "Oh god, Fox News is all I watch. They are my source for EVERYTHING."

I could type paragraphs about this dinner, but I don't want you to click off the post until you read the good stuff.

So on Thursday, I received a flier for the Ladies of Liberty Alliance ("LOLA") after-party for Friday evening. Of course, as most of us on this forum would acknowledge, liberty ladies, a freedom agenda and alcohol are a perfect mix.

I took about a $12 cab-ride to the bar where the LOLA ladies were meeting. I caught up with our own malkusm, said hello to ladyjade3, met some folks from the Student Liberty Front of Philadelphia, and drank copious amounts of alcohol. I even saw my old compatriots Violet and Nick from the 2007 original Ron Paul Meetup group. I met John Berlau of the Competitive Enterprise Institute, Kurt Wallace who is running Libertypulse.com and recruitjackhunter.com, and Kelly Jane Torrance from the American Conservative.

The night apex'd with a date auction of the extremely lovely LOLA ladies. I of course began bidding immediately for a dinner with 6, yes, 6 ladies of liberty at ONCE, but was foiled by a gentleman in the front of the room who also believed in their cause, and put my bidding to shame.

Several auctions of individual dinners with the LOLA ladies went by, and then arrived a lunch-date with Allison Gibbs, and one of her fellow LOLA ladies.

Let me say one thing about Allison Gibbs. Most of you guys who are truly active already know her from working with the Campaign For Liberty. I want to say that I think she has done an OUTSTANDING job at coordinating a large amount of volunteers, and saturating the biggest CPAC ever with the message of liberty. Why I single her out for exceptionalism is that she was taking on the task of coordinating C4L volunteers, she was also helping run the LOLA booth...not to mention the fact she FOUNDED LOLA, and was a key organizer in tonight's party. Clearly she has lots of help, but as someone who deals with lots of multitasking daily, I was impressed.

Building on my note above, I want to say something about Risk. It takes a special person to say, "I am going to start an organization from scratch. I am going to take the risk that the organization may just simply fail. But no one else has started it, so I am going to do it. I'm not sure how we'll fund it, but we will find a way."

To stem my gushing about the awesomeness of LOLA, I ended up finally winning an auction for a lunch date with Allison and one of her compatriots. And while you may think I did it just because she is as all of you know smokin' and extremely adorable, my true reason is I am excited to talk Shop with them and find out how they can work with all of us on expanding the message of freedom to more ladies in our society. My personal belief is ladies are an under-tapped asset, and LOLA is working hard to reach them.

I believe we strongly need to support their mission, and help them however we can. I believe Ron Paul would strongly endorse my statement.

So at the LOLA after-party (:p) I was pleased to meet Jack Hunter, the Southern Avenger, and Mike Church who hosts a radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Now most of you already know Jack Hunter believes in liberty, but I want you all to get to know Mike Church.

This guy is freaking awesome. You want to know someone who stood up for Debra Medina and was proud to do so? Talk to Mike Church.

In fact, Mike wants us to find other candidates, who we have objectively and thoroughly vetted, that support our cause to come on his show. I haven't talked to Allison yet, but he is excited to have her or a LOLA rep on his show at some point to talk about their cause.

The great part of the conversation I had with Mike Church was our mutual agreement on the need to build coalitions. I agreed with Mike that we are taking steps in the wrong direction when we slam those who have a sincere difference in opinion. If someone who is as strongly opinionated as Mike can attend CPAC and mingle with those who don't agree with us, all of you should do so as well. Those who are not sincere, like certain talk-radio/tv-show hosts, Mr. Church had a very DIFFERENT opinion on. I'll leave it at that.

Mike Church is thoroughly in the Freedom Camp, and I hope you will consider tuning into his show and supporting his effort. I was proud to meet such a fine gentleman this evening. www.mikechurch.com

In closing, and I doubt many will get this far in the post, it really felt like 2007 to me tonight. It wasn't just the simply amazing Allison, or the thinker like Mike Church, but everyone else I met that made tonight so much fun. I even ran into Norm Singleton who works in Ron Paul's office. FREEDOM was ALIVE AND WELL tonight in NW Washington D.C. Plans are being made (Malkus even identified an infiltrator trying to get people to say things) to keep pushing our rEVOLution, as we truly are reaching new people each and every day.

I haven't really Moderated today or the day before, but if people have been down in the dumps on the forum, I ask you to wipe those feelings and re-engage. There are young and old people on the ground fighting for individual liberty, and they really need your help. Each extra person who participates is incremental fuel to the fire of liberty, and we need you all.

Wow! That is a great story!!

Baptist
02-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Cowsley, Overview of America is only 20 minutes long and basically describes the difference between a republic, democracy, oligarchy and monarchy. It also talks about individual rights. It shows viewers in a real simple way that America is supposed to be a Republic based off the rule of law that respects individual rights.

The Judge is an excellent speaker, but I think Thomas Woods is freaking outstanding, and Adam Kokesh is amazing. I don't know who is the best of the three, but they are all superb. Rand is also a good speaker, but it is frustrating to see him speak like a neocon so often.

Yeah, I like these three as well. Woods is good because he is likable, charismatic, comes off as really knowledgeable, and by the time he is done you feel more educated. Napolitano is extremely charismatic and when he speaks his love for the Constitution and liberty shines through so much that by the time he is done the audience has a higher reverence or respect for the Constitution and Liberty.

Now Kokesh, in my opinion his style is up there with the greats of all time. A good speech by Kokesh reminds me of Martin Luther giving a great speech in front of thousands. Kokesh reminds me of the president in Independence Day rallying all the humans to go fight aliens. Kokesh comes off as the leader of a great cause, the leader of a cause worth fighting for. I don't know how much time and effort he puts into his speeches, but I imagine him spending hours and hours pouring over a thesaurus. I imagine him scouring history books trying to find great quotes. So while I think that Woods and Napolitano are good to listen to while you are sitting in a fold up metal chair in a big room, Kokesh is the guy you want on leading the troops into battle. W Jr on a pile of rubble ain't got nothing on an average Kokesh speech.

krazy kaju
02-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Haha, I love your horniness in the last write-up. SIX dates... awesome.

WorldonaString
02-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Cowsley, thanks for the great and informative writeup. Very encouraging! Sounds like lame kids like that Fox News addicted "philosopher" are in minority.

kaleidoscope eyes
02-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Now, THIS is the stuff I want to read when I come around this place.. mighty encouraging!

Love it Cowlesy!

Have Fun! :D

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow! That is a great story!!

Thanks --- you guys better show up next year!

Haha, I love your horniness in the last write-up. SIX dates... awesome.

I'd say that I enjoy using terms of endearment --- I don't know the guy who won the big dinner date but I am sure there will be some interesting conversation!

Cowsley, thanks for the great and informative writeup. Very encouraging! Sounds like lame kids like that Fox News addicted "philosopher" are in minority.

Hmm, I wouldn't say he is in the minority. I am just surprised at the close-mindedness of people like him. Not to mention the fact he's a college grad who really has a vastly different interpretation of one of the main philosophers of the 17th century compared to most people.

constituent
02-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't say he is in the minority. I am just surprised at the close-mindedness of people like him. Not to mention the fact he's a college grad who really has a vastly different interpretation of one of the main philosophers of the 17th century compared to most people.

Job 41

1Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down? 2Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
3Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee? 4Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?
9Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?

I don't know... if he really read it, he might be worth hearing out? maybe?

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Okay, it is now the last day of CPAC. I am sitting here in my hotel room staring into a big mirror with my hair pointing in 19 directions in a white t-shirt and adidas track pants. Jumping back into bed is really what I want to do, but alas, the coffee is percolating and it's game-on to wander around this hotel once again.

A couple points I forgot somehow in my 4:20AM post.

Everyone at the fancy banquet last night got a copy of Obamanomics by Tim Carney. You know what I like about this book? At the bottom in a black-stripe it says, "FOREWARD by RON PAUL."

Suck on that, neo-cons.

Citizens United, the movie company, loves terrorism. Loves it! I could walk down to a screening of:

Citizens United Productions Film Festival
Maryland Ballroom

Atomic Jihad: Ahmadinejad’s Coming War For Islamic Revival And Obama’s Politics Of Defeat (1.5 hours) Introduction by Writer and Director Joel Gilbert

I could go listen to Bill Bennett, who is being introduced by Jonathan Crohn (http://www.politico.com/click/stories/1002/krohn_returns_to_cpac.html).

9:15
Hon. Bill Bennett
Marriott Ballroom

Introduction: Jonathan Krohn, author of Defining Conservatism

PASSSSSSS.

Thie highlight of my day is going to be:

2:00

You’ve Been Lied To: Why Real Conservatives are Against the War on Terror
Delaware Ballroom
Sponsored by Campaign for Liberty (60 minutes)

Speakers: Retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Karen Kwiatkowski and Jacob Hornberger, President of FFF

Also, Bruce Fein will be speaking and Phil Giraldi, an ex-CIA guy at this one. It's going to be amazing, amazing.

Who would have ever thought that at CPAC, a Traditional Conservative viewpoint on foreign policy would be offered up?

Coffee is ready. Will write more soon.
Open to All CPAC Attendees

Havax
02-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Michael Steele came over to Ron's book signing and talked for about a minute and took pictures.

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Michael Steele came over to Ron's book signing and talked for about a minute and took pictures.

I will say that Michael Steele did metaphorically poke the haters in the chest at the speech last night. I was surprised at that, and happy for him at least trying to balance the anti-freedom tide.

I think Michael Steele really didn't know Ron Paul back in 2007 when he was a jerk and dismissive of him at the debate. He seems to realize that those of us who supported Ron Paul are just very adamant about protecting freedom and the constitution, and that perhaps they should welcome our help in finding candidates.

On a funny note, Steele was introduced as a "Lincoln Republican" ---- everytime someone invoked Lincoln I gave an audible sigh which confused the crap out of the kid next to me.

Steele also presented David Keene with a ceramic bust of Ronald Reagan. It was very, very nice. After the dinner, outside the For Liberty screening, some guy wanted his picture with Mr. Keene, and tried to help him set down the Reagan bust Keene was lugging around. As they went together to set it down (it looked pretty heavy), the guy fumbles it, drops it and smashes it all over the hallway. All I could think of was the "REAGAN SMASH" Family Guy episode.

EPIC FAIL.

wgadget
02-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Aw, c'mon...You're not gonna go and cheer for Mr. Neocon himself, Bill Bennett?

I wonder if he'll fill the hall...?

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Listened to a part of Jason Chaffetz's speech --- he's pretty good --- I'm really liking the guy.

Ronpaulhawaii has probably handed out a few THOUSAND DVDs...he's fun just to watch in action---he never quits. Went to lunch and while waiting to be seated randomly ran into LOLA member Tracey Harmon (http://www.iamlola.org/839/back-to-iraq-a-army-vets-hopeful-trek-to-iraq-on-a-peace-mission/) -- had a very engaging lunch with her and learned about her upcoming trip to Iraq.

You can read more about it here: http://www.iamlola.org/839/back-to-iraq-a-army-vets-hopeful-trek-to-iraq-on-a-peace-mission/

Now I am headed down to the panel about the War on Terror featuring Jacob Hornberger, Karen Kwiatkowski, Phil Giraldi and Bruce Fein.

I can pretty much guarantee it is going to be outstanding!!!!

Anti Federalist
02-20-2010, 12:59 PM
The story about the kid seated next to you at dinner made me LoL.:D

Excellent update, and from another post, RPH is tireless, isn't he?

Tell Mike I said "hey" if you meet up with again.

What is your overall assessment on how well the freedom message is being received this as opposed to previous years?

Douchebag.

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Haha, I love your horniness in the last write-up. SIX dates... awesome.You've obviously never been to a LOLA party before! :D

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Went to lunch and while waiting to be seated randomly ran into LOLA member Tracey Harmon (http://www.iamlola.org/839/back-to-iraq-a-army-vets-hopeful-trek-to-iraq-on-a-peace-mission/) -- had a very engaging lunch with her and learned about her upcoming trip to Iraq. How is her knee? She dislocated it at the last LOLA/CFL event :(

revolutionary8
02-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you Cowlesy! This is awesome. I won't even need to take a shower! :D

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
The story about the kid seated next to you at dinner made me LoL.:D

Excellent update, and from another post, RPH is tireless, isn't he?

Tell Mike I said "hey" if you meet up with again.

What is your overall assessment on how well the freedom message is being received this as opposed to previous years?

I think the Freedom message is reaching people extremely well. I had a chance to speak with Debbie Hopper, and she relayed that this year the message is being received much better than last year, and most certainly better than the year before that.

There are always going to be those who simply cannot betray what they believe to be orthodoxy. Others have a vested interest in maintaining the status-quo, and shouting down those who disagree. The D@vid H0r0witz Freedom Center dude told me how we needed to "SMASH those who disagree with us" -- (I wanted to inquire...am "I" part of us?" He also explained to me the need to use any means necessary, including character assassinations and personal attacks, to crush the opposition.

What a nice fellow. /facepalm

How is her knee? She dislocated it at the last LOLA/CFL event :(

She seemed 100% to me.

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 03:12 PM
The event about Traditional Conservatism's view on the "War on Terror" was a standing-room-only event. A total packed house.

I had to run before Jacob Hornberger spoke, (Future of Freedom Foundation will have the entire presentation on the internet TONIGHT they hope) (http://www.fff.org/) but I had the opportunity to hear Phil Giraldi, Karen Kwiatkowski and Bruce Fein give speeches.

All 3 speeches that I was able to hear were outstanding. All 3 had points where people were standing and clapping. My favorite was Bruce Fein's speech. What a brilliant thinker, knowledgeable historian and fiery orator. From Cicero to Edmund Burke to the founding fathers, Fein's speech was jam-packed with the message of freedom, and warnings using past precedent at how they are being eroded right in front of our faces.

You all are going to thoroughly enjoy these speeches. My guess is that the Q&A was equally as engaging, and I can't wait to see it posted later at fff.org.

rp08orbust
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Anyone know if and where the straw poll results will be streamed live?

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 03:54 PM
My favorite was Bruce Fein's speech. What a brilliant thinker, knowledgeable historian and fiery orator. From Cicero to Edmund Burke to the founding fathers, Fein's speech was jam-packed with the message of freedom, and warnings using past precedent at how they are being eroded right in front of our faces.

Along with Judge Nap, Bruce is one of the most brilliant men in the United States!!!

YouTube - Ron Paul Rally For The Republic Bruce Fein Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiq1zDcc7c)

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone know if and where the straw poll results will be streamed live?

I have the Hotel's TV on. When they announce it I'll post it here (though they may post it online first -- I don't know).

(And yes, I am not bothering to head to the ballroom to listen to Glenn Beck)

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 04:52 PM
By the way, I thought Steven Baldwin was kind of a jackass. It was funny seeing him standing in line to buy a sandwich wearing a ballcap pulled down and sunglasses on...all "incognito."

STRAW POLL RESULTS (in no particular order)
Paul - 31%
Palin - 7%
Huckabee - 4%
Romney - 22%
Gingrich - 4%
Pawlenty - 6%
Pence - 5%
Daniels - 2%
Santorum - 2%
Thune - 2%
Barbour - 1%
Other - 5%
Undecided - 6%

Nate-ForLiberty
02-20-2010, 04:53 PM
i was surprised that when they announced the results Paul got significant boos and Mittens got cheers. wtf

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 05:32 PM
On a funny note, Steele was introduced as a "Lincoln Republican" ---- everytime someone invoked Lincoln I gave an audible sigh which confused the crap out of the kid next to me.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x93/sonicspikesalbum/Obama/Lincoln-Obama.jpg

Steele also presented David Keene with a ceramic bust of Ronald Reagan. It was very, very nice. After the dinner, outside the For Liberty screening, some guy wanted his picture with Mr. Keene, and tried to help him set down the Reagan bust Keene was lugging around. As they went together to set it down (it looked pretty heavy), the guy fumbles it, drops it and smashes it all over the hallway. All I could think of was the "REAGAN SMASH" Family Guy episode.

EPIC FAIL.Just kind of like his Presidency in which he campaigned on limiting the government, eh? ;):p

But seriously that is a shame that something like that got destroyed. :(

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
The kid even says to me, "Oh god, Fox News is all I watch. They are my source for EVERYTHING."No wonder. This dude needs to unplug from the matrix. :rolleyes:

I caught up with our own malkusm, said hello to ladyjade3, met some folks from the Student Liberty Front of Philadelphia, and drank copious amounts of alcohol.

The night apex'd with a date auction of the extremely lovely LOLA ladies. I of course began bidding immediately for a dinner with 6, yes, 6 ladies of liberty at ONCE, but was foiled by a gentleman in the front of the room who also believed in their cause, and put my bidding to shame.For those who have never been to a LOLA party before, trust me, it's worth it. I wish I could publicly post some of the pics of the Atlanta festivities. :D Unfortunately it's not politically wise to do so.

Allison and Rachel are awesome people too.

Would it be too much for me to say that I originated the distant seed that eventually grew into LOLA? :o :):cool:

My personal belief is ladies are an under-tapped asset, Story of my life :p

But seriously the Republican Women run the Republican Party, at least on the local level. They are the backbone. So it sort of makes sense that we could have a female backbone of the liberty movement.

I'm good friends with Mike, and I met Jack in Atlanta a month ago. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get Mike to advertise on RPF but it hasn't happened yet. Until then I try to plug him every legitimate chance I get. I have also been working to get him more involved with the CFL. I would like the CFL to promote him the same way they have promoted the Judge; everyone would win.

All in all sounds like a typical CFL weekend, I am sorry I missed it.

Cowlesy
02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
No wonder. This dude needs to unplug from the matrix. :rolleyes:
For those who have never been to a LOLA party before, trust me, it's worth it. I wish I could publicly post some of the pics of the Atlanta festivities. :D Unfortunately it's not politically wise to do so.

Allison and Rachel are awesome people too.

Would it be too much for me to say that I originated the distant seed that eventually grew into LOLA? :o :):cool:

Story of my life :p

But seriously the Republican Women run the Republican Party, at least on the local level. They are the backbone. So it sort of makes sense that we could have a female backbone of the liberty movement.

I'm good friends with Mike, and I met Jack in Atlanta a month ago. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to get Mike to advertise on RPF but it hasn't happened yet. Until then I try to plug him every legitimate chance I get. I have also been working to get him more involved with the CFL. I would like the CFL to promote him the same way they have promoted the Judge; everyone would win.

All in all sounds like a typical CFL weekend, I am sorry I missed it.

A classic Matt-Collins-post preserved for posterity. :p

There will be CPAC 2011, and of course, the Iowa Straw Poll coming up :)

Matt Collins
02-20-2010, 07:43 PM
A classic Matt-Collins-post preserved for posterity. :p :)You're welcome ;):p

Cowlesy
02-21-2010, 03:55 PM
The liberty-web grows. Mike Church linked this thread with my LOLA party re-cap on his website http://www.mikechurch.com/

Southron
02-21-2010, 04:31 PM
The liberty-web grows. Mike Church linked this thread with my LOLA party re-cap on his website http://www.mikechurch.com/

I just followed that link and to my surprise it led to this thread!

Matt Collins
02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
The liberty-web grows. Mike Church linked this thread with my LOLA party re-cap on his website http://www.mikechurch.com/ (http://www.mikechurch.com/)
I just followed that link and to my surprise it led to this thread!

Who do you think told him about it? ;):p