PDA

View Full Version : Evan Bayh Predicts Third-Party Candidate Could Win Presidency

bobbyw24
02-18-2010, 07:21 AM
Sen. Evan Bayh (D-Ind.), who announced he would retire from his U.S. Senate seat at the end of his term, is already looking into his 2012 election crystal ball and what he sees is the potential for a third-party candidate to win the presidency.

In an interview with Charlie Rose, Bayh took pains to emphasize his support for President Obama's re-election, but said disarray within both political parties has created an opening for a third-party contender. Bayh called it "a Ross Perot Moment" -- a sentiment that has been echoed recently by New York Times columnist David Brooks.

"You remember back then, the deficit was unsustainably high," Bayh said, referring to the economic conditions of the early-1990's. "The economy was struggling. People had a sense that Washington was just broken, and they looked for someone from completely outside the system. So, you know, let me be clear. I support the president. I think he is making a major effort, and I'm going to do what I can to help him succeed. But just my political take on it, I think--I think David is--he's on to something."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/17/evan-bayh-predicts-third_n_466620.html

winston_blade
02-18-2010, 07:22 AM
He's just trying to get Obama re-elected.

Original_Intent
02-18-2010, 08:55 AM
He's just trying to get Obama re-elected.

Yep. Call it a party favor.