PDA

View Full Version : GOP Split! Tea Party to Field Own Candidate Against Harry Reid in Nevada

jmdrake
02-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Mixed feelings about this. I'd love to see Harry Reid gone, but understand the frustration at the GOP.

http://dailypaul.com/node/125770

GOP Split! Tea Party to Field Own Candidate Against Harry Reid in Nevada
Submitted by Michael Nystrom on Wed, 02/17/2010 - 10:36
in

* Daily Paul Liberty Forum

By: Jane Hamsher Monday February 15, 2010

The Tea Party is evidently cutting its ties with the GOP in Nevada and pitching its own political tent. Certainly the best news Harry Reid has had all year:

Sun columnist Jon Ralston is reporting that the Tea Party has qualified as a third party in Nevada and will have a candidate in the Senate race to battle for the seat held by Majority Leader Harry Reid.

The party has filed a Certificate of Existence but needs to get 1 percent of the electorate to vote for its candidate in November to permanently qualify, according to the report.

Ralston reported that Jon Ashjian will be the Tea Party’s U.S. Senate candidate on the November ballot. Ashjian still must declare his candidacy.

Reid might actually have a chance if a Tea Party candidate can split the vote on the right, where Reid is currently down 10 points to most of his Republican opponents.

But why would the Tea Party split from the GOP, right after their happy Nashville convention headlined by Sarah Palin? Well, who knows. It’s probably been in the works for a while. But last week, after libertarian gubernatorial candidate Deborah Medina polled only 4 points behind Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Glenn Beck torpedoed her as a 9/11 Truther just as he did Van Jones, cheered on by Hot Air and the Washington Independent.

It’s clear that the Sarah Palin social conservatives and the Neocons are somewhat less than interested in handing the GOP over to the Ron Paul libertarians, and “populist hero” Glenn Beck did their dirty work. I guess the Tea Party folks are welcome to wave anti-Obama signs for the Fox cameras, but if they actually want to challenge any of the party brahmins — well, hands off.

Fr3shjive
02-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd rather they go for the republican primary nomination instead of trying to take on the GOP on by themselves.

itshappening
02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
this is bad news because it would save Reid, an absolute disaster

if Lowden was the nominee they should maybe do it but not unless she wins

klamath
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM

erowe1
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I am getting real suspicious of the nevada people. If the RP people had the numbers they said they had they should have been able to completely control the republican nomination process.

What numbers did they say they had?

klamath
02-17-2010, 05:41 PM

VegasPatriot
02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I have lived in southern Nevada my entire adult life. I gave every spare dollar and minute I hade to the RP Revolution in 2007/08. At the 2008 Nevada republican state convention Sue Lowden (and her cronies) cancelled the delegate election and hijacked the process. My name was on the list of 22 at large delegates who should have gone to the RNC. Now Lowden is trying to hijack the Tea Party. Lowden is scum, and if it’s between her and Reid I will proudly support a Tea Party candidate.

VegasPatriot
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
We were told the the RP people had complete control to the Republican delegates and the only thing that stopped RP from taking most of the delegates to the convention was Lowden. If they controled that much of the party members why is Sue lowden one of the front running candidates? Why did the person that supported RP have to drop out because of lack of funds if the party delegates are controlled by RP people why couldn't they have donated a few dollars to keep his campaign going?

If someone said the RP people have complete control... they are wrong. What has happened is RP republicans have made great strides in Clark County with a slim majority. I believe Sue Lowden is sill the chairperson for the state republican party... and she has lots of her own cash to spend.

reduen
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Nevada is a beast for liberty!!!! I have seriously thought about relocating....

angelatc
02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
The Nevada GOP lost a seat in the state House (Beers) over the Ron Paul incident. If they can turn around and take another election away from the GOP, then I'll live with Harry Reid.

It's bullshit that they scorn everything we believe in as being too conservative, then whine because we won't even vote for their POS candidates. If they're gonna fuck us eventually, they need to at least buy us dinner first.