PDA

View Full Version : [VIDEO] "Why My Life Filled with Video Games is Not a Waste"

Reason
02-16-2010, 03:44 PM
YouTube - The Only Thing I Know (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBRG_QgEAM)

Nate-ForLiberty
02-16-2010, 04:00 PM
wonderful vid!

Elwar
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Playing the Wii gives me exercise.

Though, 40% of marriages end because of video games...or so my wife tells me when I'm playing Wii...

:)

dannno
02-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I agree it's a good video, some people should probably have some perspective.. but why pick on the gamers? What about all the folks addicted to TV? Or sports? (being that a lot of sports fans are now online doing the fantasy leagues as well as watching the games..)

Also, a lot of times it is those who are lonely and have low ambition who become attracted to video games.. playing video games in itself doesn't make you lonely or take away ambition, it helps you feel like you're apart of something bigger.. and while it may be fake, can you really say that your life would be better without them? Maybe. I don't know. I think it's all pretty individual.

Last time I was addicted to a video game was like 13 years ago... so for some it is just a phase.

Nate-ForLiberty
02-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I agree it's a good video, some people should probably have some perspective.. but why pick on the gamers? What about all the folks addicted to TV? Or sports? (being that a lot of sports fans are now online doing the fantasy leagues as well as watching the games..)

Also, a lot of times it is those who are lonely and have low ambition who become attracted to video games.. playing video games in itself doesn't make you lonely or take away ambition, it helps you feel like you're apart of something bigger.. and while it may be fake, can you really say that your life would be better without them? Maybe. I don't know. I think it's all pretty individual.

Last time I was addicted to a video game was like 13 years ago... so for some it is just a phase.

you are echoing the point of the vid. The games themselves, when an instrument for fellowship, can actually be a good thing. "Don't game alone," i think is the theme here.

dannno
02-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Eh, I think gaming alone can be acceptable. It depends on the context and how much of apart of your life it becomes. And of course everybody has the right to entertain themselves however they want for the most part.

I mean, ya, reading a book is a good idea.. but if you take busses or some form of transportation that isn't very conducive to reading, then a portable video game unit and some tunes sound pretty good to me.

t0rnado
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
When people have shitty lives, they'll resort to anything that will allow them to escape reality whether it's drugs, video games, religion, tv, or anything else. People could be attempting to improve their lives rather than wasting them.

LibForestPaul
02-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't waste time playing video games. Just watching videos about people who wasted their time playing video games.

JacobR248
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
That was a good laugh....

When he said to look at the consequences of playing video games too much and a picture of pills popping up, I couldn't control myself.

If you honestly can't put down a controller for 5 seconds to settle out real life problems, then you're a weak person.

polomertz
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
I consider myself a gamer but I refuse to get into WOW because I know I'm not strong enough to control myself when I become addicted.

brandon
02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Meh....

brandon
02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I consider myself a gamer but I refuse to get into WOW because I know I'm not strong enough to control myself when I become addicted.

It's not that hard to control the amount of time you play. I've had the game for three years and have only made it to level 74. The game really isn't fun enough to play for long periods of time.

phill4paul
02-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Gamers idea of "grinding" and my idea of "grinding" differ.;):D

Warrior_of_Freedom
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
so reading harry potter would give my life more value? i dont get it

Baptist
02-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Man, I have not played video games (not one) since early 2003 but I just started playing Dark Age of Camelot again a few months ago (needed some kind of braindead activity to get me away from the constant pressure of fighting tyranny).

This video makes me want to stop already....

Bman
02-17-2010, 05:17 AM
Man, I have not played video games (not one) since early 2003 but I just started playing Dark Age of Camelot again a few months ago (needed some kind of braindead activity to get me away from the constant pressure of fighting tyranny).

This video makes me want to stop already....

lol. I played Everquest/Everqust 2 for a few years. What saved me was becoming self-employed. Now I just waste time trying to set myself up to make greater amounts of money in the future... although in the end I assume some of those ventures and ideas could turn out to be just as worthless as gaming.

Proph
02-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Smart move.

It's not that hard to control the amount of time you play. I've had the game for three years and have only made it to level 74. The game really isn't fun enough to play for long periods of time.
Didn't you know? The game doesn't really start until you hit 80.

I used to think that people who claimed to be addicted to videogames were just making up excuses (I even did a report on it in Psych. 101), but that changed when I started playing WoW. I don't know what it is, but that game is addicting as hell.

Kludge
02-17-2010, 05:47 AM
I don't waste time playing video games. Just watching videos about people who wasted their time playing video games.

But that video was IMPORTANT!

Shove aside that which clutters your life -- the thrills. Give yourself to pleasure?! NAY -- give yourself to meaning: God, Country, Knowledge, Justice, Family!

or just do w/e the fuck you want: I donīt care.

nandnor
02-17-2010, 05:54 AM
nvm

BuddyRey
02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
To blame video games for people leading solitary and unambitious lives is to blame a symptom rather than the disease, IMHO.

Vessol
02-17-2010, 04:52 PM
That video made me facepalm myself.

Sounds like he had a lot more problems and video games were just an outlet.

You can make the same shit about almost any recreational hobby.

What!? You build model cars!? Do you know how much time and money you've wasted on that that could be spent on REAL situations?

What!? You study politics and don't plan to get a career in it? Do you know how much time and money you've wasted on that that could be spent on REAL situations?

I have many hobbies, I still study up on the news, am politically active and make sure I am informed. But I also read many fiction books, I watch some fictional movies, I play many video games.

Speaking of WoW, to me it's hard to imagine someone getting addicted to that though I have seen it happen. I often had to force myself to play it with my friends and such. Though I have gotten slightly addicted when playing some strategy games, hehe, the old "just one more turn" syndrome.

torchbearer
02-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Stuff like this makes gaming worth it.YouTube - 2009 WCG Grand Final Fifth day: Final - StarCraft 2set : Jaedong vs Stork (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGkvbQHXWc)

that is epic.

dannno
02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
that is epic.

Ya starcraft is my second fav video game, haven't played in ages tho.. I can't believe that video is 2009..

When I was 14 I was addicted to Quake (1) Team Fortress. The original Team Fortress. It ruled.

torchbearer
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
what i loved about starcraft- blizzard didn't charge you to play on their servers.

pcosmar
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM

I don't consider myself a "gamer" but I do enjoy WoW. It came as a surprise to me. I only started to help someone else set it up on a computer. Then I found I liked it.
I got my first computer in 2003. Before that I played Pong a couple times. ;)

Now (being rather rural and secluded) it is my social outlet.
I don't know if I would call it an addiction. An enjoyable habit perhaps.

Vessol
02-17-2010, 05:59 PM
what i loved about starcraft- blizzard didn't charge you to play on their servers.

That's because you hosted the games, they only provided the gateway to connecting to others :P

torchbearer
02-17-2010, 06:12 PM
That's because you hosted the games, they only provided the gateway to connecting to others :P

true.

Todd
02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I'll make a loose association with the book I'm currently reading because this video plays on some of those themes.

Neil Postman's "Amusing ourselves to Death".

It's a classic that I've always meant to read but never did. His premise is that Huxley and not Orwell was correct.

Our society is all about entertainment (gaming etc.) How many of us have been consumed by it? I was a Rogue Spear Rainbow 6 fanatic a decade ago when being in a "Clan" on The Zone was the thing. How much I missed by not reading books or spending more time with my family I can't measure.

BW2112
02-17-2010, 07:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with playing video games. It's no worse than any other hobby. Just don't allow it to interfere with your real life responsibilities. I play video games, but I don't allow it to consume my life. And I certainly don't consider it a "waste of time". No more so than watching tv, movies, listening to music, or even doing recreational drugs. Imo, having fun can be good for you.

Everyone should have something to do that gets them away from all the stress of problems of real life for awhile. Life shouldn't be all business and no pleasure. Is a life of nothing but business a life worth living. Imo, it isn't. Thats just my two cents on this issue.

HenryAlan
02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
How about the progamers they make there money playing games, or those who make there money making games. Most people give up games when they get older. There is nothing that prevented him from working out, I usually pump some iron inbetween games.