PDA

View Full Version : Hayworth announces run against McCain, Simcox drops out

jmdrake
02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/azdc/74010

What are the chances of beating McCain now?

Matt Collins
02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Which one was the liberty candidate? I haven't been following that race.

TCE
02-15-2010, 10:23 PM
Chris Simcox was. Now it's Hayworth>McCain, but neither are good.

So, all of that money we threw at him has been wasted. A perfect example of why running an information campaign and giving money to candidates who can't win is pointless when we have at least 8 good candidates who have an excellent chance to win.

jmdrake
02-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Chris Simcox was. Now it's Hayworth>McCain, but neither are good.

So, all of that money we threw at him has been wasted. A perfect example of why running an information campaign and giving money to candidates who can't win is pointless when we have at least 8 good candidates who have an excellent chance to win.

All that money? Chris Simcox never got that much which is probably why he didn't have a chance to win. Classic chicken and egg problem. I don't recall there ever being a Chris Simcox "money bomb. There definitely isn't a "Simcox 2010" subforum. And while I think it's important to have candidates who can win, it's equally important to stick to principle. Debra Medina has shown a good balance of both attributes.

Imperial
02-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Weren't Hayworth and McCain both caught up in massive lobbying scandals?

TCE
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
All that money? Chris Simcox never got that much which is probably why he didn't have a chance to win. Classic chicken and egg problem. I don't recall there ever being a Chris Simcox "money bomb. There definitely isn't a "Simcox 2010" subforum. And while I think it's important to have candidates who can win, it's equally important to stick to principle. Debra Medina has shown a good balance of both attributes.

Sometimes I think you just try and pick at my arguments for the sake of it, but I'll bite :). Simcox, if I remember correctly, received close to $3,000 during the multi-candidate bomb. He really never stood a chance with his low name ID and his low funds. He would have had to raise and spend at least $2 million to stand any sort of a shot against McCain.

At this point in time, we have several candidates who are good on principles and can actually win. So, while it is important to support candidates who do have the right ideas, I urge everyone reading to think about spending your money in the best way possible instead of giving it to someone who has no chance.

TCE
02-16-2010, 12:16 AM
Weren't Hayworth and McCain both caught up in massive lobbying scandals?

That sounds about right to me.

jmdrake
02-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Sometimes I think you just try and pick at my arguments for the sake of it, but I'll bite :). Simcox, if I remember correctly, received close to $3,000 during the multi-candidate bomb. He really never stood a chance with his low name ID and his low funds. He would have had to raise and spend at least $2 million to stand any sort of a shot against McCain.

At this point in time, we have several candidates who are good on principles and can actually win. So, while it is important to support candidates who do have the right ideas, I urge everyone reading to think about spending your money in the best way possible instead of giving it to someone who has no chance.

Well you can correct me if I'm wrong (your memory may be better than mine) but wasn't one of the ideas behind the multi-candidate money bomb to see which candidates had the most traction? And how much money and name recognition did Medina have? While she's not out of the woods yet, she is in striking distance and I wouldn't have predicted that a few months ago. And I guess that's my point. Some campaigns are obviously going to have some impact (Rand Paul) some campaigns not so obvious (Medina). But maybe you followed Medina and Simcox early on (I didn't) and had some indicator back when they both had low money and low ID that she would get traction and he wouldn't. If so I'd love to hear it.