PDA

View Full Version : Demint's PAC looking at Indiana race now--Poll here

erowe1
02-15-2010, 03:45 PM
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103047937066&s=116969&e=001s6yEP4T8bZj8CbafKcWOEqThgcd1vtw-LtgSot2w-9WPhyR0yVpOvxnTVRmuycLaOVIgZgW-1f0PXvmTW4TLHplZJqx7CjdYTWbYOsoh28FL-cfmgeRPZSLEdgTRv35W1p4Rsel6BmU1NhG0G77LBZHFQ5boZIt b5MAldAYIT4VDjkzkK9TaHjUSAKUn3BjIBCBWlCd32h1u7q5sT IUV5A==

Please go there and vote for Hostettler.

Brian4Liberty
02-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Full text of the SCF message:

Direct link (cut and paste)

senateconservatives.com/v1/index.php?p=post&id=78

Indiana Senator Evan Bayh (D) announced today that he will not seek re-election this year, a decision that hands conservatives a prime pickup opportunity.

We are moving the Indiana Senate race onto our 2010 Watch List. We are also launching a new online poll to see which candidate our members believe is the best conservative in the race.

Former Senator Dan Coats (R) and former Congressman John Hostettler (R) have the highest name ID of the candidates currently in the race, but they also have their drawbacks. Coats hasn't lived in Indiana for over a decade, he's a Washington, DC lobbyist, and he has a mixed record on the 2nd Amendment. Hostettler was defeated by a Democrat in 2006 and some conservatives have taken issue with his opposition to the Iraq War.

There is another candidate in the race named Marlin Stutzman (R) who is not as well-known but has a compelling story and appears to be gaining momentum. Stutzman is a fourth-generation family farmer and a state senator. He supports true budget reform, is anti-tax, pro-2nd Amendment, and 100% pro-life.

Erick Erickson, the editor of the conservative website RedState.com, recently announced his support for Stutzman. Stutzman could become the candidate conservatives and Tea Party activists unite behind.

Before we make a an endorsement in this race, we want to know what you think. Click here to read more about the candidates and then vote in our online poll so we know who you support in Indiana's May 4 Republican primary.

Cowlesy
02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Stutzman is blowing out the poll.

Long live the Neoconservatives.

EDIT: I'm not calling Stutzman a Neoconservative -- but clearly his foreign policy has made him their choice.

MRoCkEd
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Voted!
We can do this..

John Taylor
02-15-2010, 03:56 PM

No suprise, but we can move the direction.

DeMint's email is heavily slanted already, talking up this other fella.

specsaregood
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM

EDIT: I'm not calling Stutzman a Neoconservative -- but clearly his foreign policy has made him their choice.

So how close is hostettler to "us"? Other than the opposition to the iraq war issue? ie: how does he rate on the Ron Paul scale?

Edit: looking at http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm

1. He supports the president making legislative decisions with the line item veto?
2. Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
Voted YES on $266 billion Defense Appropriations bill. (Jul 1999)

Bergie Bergeron
02-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Voting against the Irak war, that's a bad thing?!

Gosh, it's like they want people to vote for Marlin.

Agorism
02-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Whats the link? that failed

specsaregood
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Voting against the Irak war, that's a bad thing?!

Yeah, so he is against bombing foreigners - good.
But he is FOR impinging on our freedoms via the patriot act.

Its a bit of a tossup for me.

Brian4Liberty
No suprise, but we can move the direction.

DeMint's email is heavily slanted already, talking up this other fella.

Yeah, the email just about says "we already endorse Stutzman".

specsaregood
Whats the link? that failed

Its at the bottom of:

Brian4Liberty
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
The link:

Direct link (cut and paste into your browser url)

Cowlesy
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
So how close is hostettler to "us"? Other than the opposition to the iraq war issue? ie: how does he rate on the Ron Paul scale?

Edit: looking at http://www.ontheissues.org/IN/John_Hostettler.htm

1. He supports the president making legislative decisions with the line item veto?
2. Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
Voted YES on continuing intelligence gathering without civil oversight. (Apr 2006)
Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
Voted YES on $266 billion Defense Appropriations bill. (Jul 1999)

So we pretty much don't have a horse in this race.

Stutzman doesn't seem that bad, maybe he could be taught some pro-America foreign policy.

specsaregood
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
So we are actively pushing candidates that support the patriot act and want it permanent? And REAL ID?

Has he backed away and changed his position on that?

angelatc
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow - 600+ to 32. Erowe, you guys have your work cut out for you. Hostettler has the advantage of name recognition and having campaigned before.

Cowlesy
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Stutzman doesn't seem that bad, maybe he could be taught some pro-America foreign policy.

Went to Stutzman's page, he looks pretty weak on National Defense to me.

Our current leadership in the White House has shown more concern for the legal rights of our enemies than it has demonstrated the will to defeat those enemies. The constant handwringing by the President and the liberals on Capitol Hill is a danger to Americans, and it sends the wrong message to our allies who are looking to the United States to lead the way against the enemies of free people.

Weakness and indecision is not an option. Whether it is a missile defense shield in Eastern Europe or keeping our enduring commitment to Israel, we must use our strength and relationships with other democracies around the world to send a message that free people will always stand together against despotism, tyrants, and radical Islam.

Sticking a pile of missiles in Eastern Europe doesn't make us any safer, and Israel is a grown-up nation and can take care of itself.

specsaregood
02-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Yeah its tough. I can't see putting much effort into going up against DeMint's obvious pick to support somebody that supports those issues listed above. He already had his chance in D.C. to show where he stands and he stood against the American people and for a police state.

Cowlesy
02-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah its tough. I can't see putting much effort into going up against DeMint's obvious pick to support somebody that supports those issues listed above. He already had his chance in D.C. to show where he stands and he stood against the American people and for a police state.

I'm staying agnostic in this contest. DeMint was referred to as a king-maker on Fox Business last week, to which he chuckled, but he is clearly testing out his engines on bringing this Marlin Stutzman out of relative obscurity and making him the annointed candidate.

They did the same thing with Marco Rubio.

angelatc
02-15-2010, 04:31 PM

They had a lot more time with Rubio.

erowe1
02-15-2010, 04:31 PM

On the Ron Paul scale, I'd say he matches up pretty close to where Rand and Schiff are. See this thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=222752

erowe1
02-15-2010, 04:35 PM

We definitely do have a horse in this race and it's Hostettler. There's no contest. His voting record in the House was second only to Ron Paul's. There's no current senator who's anywhere close to him. I admit that he has some blemishes in comparison to Ron Paul when it comes to some of the war on terror stuff, similar to Rand and Schiff. But I think when you put those in perspective of his whole voting record, which includes a ton of great stuff on both foreign policy, he comes out looking really good, just like I think Rand and Schiff do overall as well.

Slutter McGee
02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Hostettler ain't a Ron Paul Republican...but he is a Jimmy Duncan Jeff Flake sort of Republican....and I think that deserves our support.

I think this would be a bad political move on Demint's part. He has a cautious temporary backing from the libertarian community as long as the major focus is fiscal issues...in other words, we don't think he is Satan. He has his guy in Rubio, we share a guy in Devore, and we have Rand. He risks splitting and losing support if he goes against Hostettler.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Brian4Liberty
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Looks like Hostettler has 56 votes now... we are not mobilizing on this one.

Agorism
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Flake is pro-war no?

low preference guy
02-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Dudes, Hostettler is awesome. Sure, his vote on the Patriot Act was wrong, but he voted against the Iraq War, wrote a book against it, voted against establishing the department of Homeland Security.

Although he is not 100% on civil liberties, he is a 100% antiwar. It will be a great improvement over the 100% pro-war neocons. If we put this guy in the Senate, he will probably make the antiwar wing of the Republican party many times more influential that it is, as our current highest position of power is Ron Paul in the House. Schiff's focus will be economic. So will be Rand's (although he'll make a point on the importance of declaring wars). But we need an unabashedly anti-war Senator. Hostettler is our only chance.

TCE
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm staying agnostic in this contest. DeMint was referred to as a king-maker on Fox Business last week, to which he chuckled, but he is clearly testing out his engines on bringing this Marlin Stutzman out of relative obscurity and making him the annointed candidate.

DeMint really doesn't have much pull. The Club for Growth got behind him, and that really helped. DeMint doesn't have nearly the clout to be kingmaker. Can anyone grab some Hostettler support to vote?

Imperial
02-15-2010, 07:31 PM
VOTE AT THE LINK! Please, this push poll from SCF needs to be taken out.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
screw them, we will endorse Hostettler

RPF V. RedState.com,. we WILL win!

get a subforum up please, lets make this competitive.

erowe1
02-15-2010, 08:06 PM
screw them, we will endorse Hostettler

RPF V. RedState.com,. we WILL win!

get a subforum up please, lets make this competitive.

Stutzman has also sent an email out to his own email list urging them to vote for him there. Hostettler hasn't done that.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Stutzman has also sent an email out to his own email list urging them to vote for him there. Hostettler hasn't done that.

I'm not bothered though. Ron's endorsement is worth more and we need to prove it

A call to action

We need to alert groups in Indiana

erowe1
02-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Hostettler ain't a Ron Paul Republican...but he is a Jimmy Duncan Jeff Flake sort of Republican....and I think that deserves our support.

Hostettler's better than either Duncan or Flake IMHO. Flake voted for the Iraq war, but not Medicare part D. Duncan voted against the Iraq war but for Medicare part D. Only Hostettler and Ron Paul voted against both.

itshappening
02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
I wonder if Ron will visit Indiana to help him? he needs to be quick.

maybe you should call his office erowe TOMORROW and ask that he goes and arrange a date

erowe1
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
I wonder if Ron will visit Indiana to help him? he needs to be quick.

maybe you should call his office erowe TOMORROW and ask that he goes and arrange a date

I don't really have influence like that. I've brought it up before, and I don't want to keep repeating something like that. As important as self-promotion and asking for favors is in politics, it really goes against Hostettler's personality. I think it might be more persuasive if a bunch of supporters make comments using the comment form on Hostettler's website suggesting that he get Ron Paul more publicly involved.