PDA

View Full Version : Too many quadrennial sunshine patriots in our movement.

sofia
02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
This doesnt apply to members here of course. But I made some calls to past members of the RP Meetup I had worked with in 07 and 08. Of the four I reached, three of them never heard of Debra Medina....and two did not know Rand was running!

WTF?! These are good people who worked and donated to the Ron Paul cause, and then they went back to sleep? The Medina campaign is in many ways even more significant the RP's...What a major blow it would be if she wins.

Damn shame so many of us went back to sleep for three years. Just imagine what kind of money we could raise for her if our people had remained engaged. She's at 24% and rising....and all we can do is muster up $15,000 "bombs?"

As Jefferson said: "The price of liberty is ETERNAL vigilance"....A shout out, sign wave, and a few bucks every four years doesn't cut it!

A little pissed off I am....We're still in the trenches and our colleagues have left us holding the bag......just venting.

angelatc
02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Good for you for working the phones.

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 01:23 PM
i feel your frustrating, but this is expected, and you shouldn't lash them for it. (its fine to vent it here)

I've been doing this stuff for 14 years. The vast majority of activist are only activated during presidential elections. nothing we have tried over the past 14 years that i've been active has changed that.
though i can say- since Ron ran for president in 08, more people have stayed active between presidential elections than every before.
whereas there were a handful of wonks that kept the fires burning year round, now we have several thousand.

sofia
02-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Good for you for working the phones.

one would think Medina could buy the lists of all those RP donors?...

LibertyMage
02-15-2010, 01:34 PM
People need a community to tie them to a political movement to maintain enthusiasm between periods of high activity. This has been true of every political movement in history. This forum has tied a large portion of the online community together. Those that don't take part in this forum need another organization to fill this gap. That was the intent of organizations like the Campaign for Liberty - to tie people in with like minded individuals in their local communities. Are your friends part of such a group? If not, don't expect them to maintain the level of interest that we do.

tron paul
02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
What if we just accept the reality of quadrennial sunshine patriots and plan accordingly?

They are going to show up at the last minute, so we need to do the advance prep work so as to put them to maximum use.

Sort of like how we built the Tea Party movement, then watched its ranks get swelled by Town Hallers and 9/12ers.

Build it and they will come!

Aratus
02-16-2010, 10:30 AM
leap year cycle patriots = presidential election insted of bi-election cycle people???

Indy Vidual
02-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Too many quadrennial sunshine patriots in our movement?

We need more sunshine patriots, a lot more; Their numbers can help attract more truly dedicated people.

/ Disclaimer: I lean toward being a sunshine patriot, and IMO, you do need more of us.

tron paul
02-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Too many quadrennial sunshine patriots in our movement?

We need more sunshine patriots, a lot more; Their numbers can help attract more truly dedicated people.

/ Disclaimer: I lean toward being a sunshine patriot, and IMO, you do need more of us.

Great points!

The voter is the ultimate sunshine patriot, and we need all the shades in between.