PDA

View Full Version : RonPaulCentral re-do

TechnoGuyRob
10-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Hey guys,

Despite the unfortunately rash actions of the guy that made ronpaulcentral.com (and even more unfortunate comments that prompted him to abandon the project), I have decided to give the (imho good) idea a second try. I'll host this if need be (no guarantees, though), but not until a few days in, because I really have enough responsibilities as is and I would like for someone else to take charge of this.

Here are original files:

http://therobert.org/stuff/tsr.zip

Everything is from topsecretrock.com except the "ronpaulcentral_com.html" file and "ronpaulcentral_files" folder. These were saved using Firefox, and all you need to do is get a domain and upload them.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sure this guy handed some rocks out already. Guess what that means? Anyone who goes to topsecretrock.com gets to see a negative word about Ron Paul's supporters! Joy!

TechnoGuyRob
10-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Bump.

justaguy
10-06-2007, 11:29 PM
P.S. I'm sure this guy handed some rocks out already. Guess what that means? Anyone who goes to topsecretrock.com gets to see a negative word about Ron Paul's supporters! Joy!

Wow...That guy has never been on a forum before, has he? Oh well, good luck with the new project.

-Chris

mkrfctr
10-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Ah hell, post up the exact text somewhere on the forum here, wait 10 minutes, write a DCMA notice to the ISP saying its copywritten text that was stolen and put up there, and they'll take down the site. :-P

TechnoGuyRob
10-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Ah hell, post up the exact text somewhere on the forum here, wait 10 minutes, write a DCMA notice to the ISP saying its copywritten text that was stolen and put up there, and they'll take down the site. :-P

Genius. :p

Hope
10-06-2007, 11:43 PM
I'd like to chime in with a few thoughts. While the idea has good intentions, from a marketing perspective I don't think it's an effective use of time and money. There's no way for people to get over the "bait and switch" factor. You put something on their private property unbidden (strikes the wrong cord with many people to begin with)...they go to the website because the tag says that it's a special rock...and then they find stuff about this random politician. So they think, what does a colored rock have to do with Ron Paul? Nothing. Crap, I've been tricked! Spammed. I bet everyone in the neighborhood got this thing...

People spend an enormous amount of time trying not to be spammed, so for them to find this stuff lying in their driveway is not going to be a positive experience for them. They will think to themselves, "Why did they need to do this? Why did they try to trick me instead of just leaving information about this guy in the first place?"

Would Ron Paul employ this method to get his message out? I don't think so. Straight-forward and sincere is his delivery of choice for the message of freedom. If you truly believe that this method is more effective than slim jims, letters or real life conversations with your neighbors -- more power to you. But we should think long and hard about the image we're presenting people with about Ron Paul. Just my opinion.

Anti-Donkey
10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd like to chime in with a few thoughts. While the idea has good intentions, from a marketing perspective I don't think it's an effective use of time and money. There's no way for people to get over the "bait and switch" factor. You put something on their private property unbidden (strikes the wrong cord with many people to begin with)...they go to the website because the tag says that it's a special rock...and then they find stuff about this random politician. So they think, what does a colored rock have to do with Ron Paul? Nothing. Crap, I've been tricked! Spammed. I bet everyone in the neighborhood got this thing...

Then if it is re-done why not have the colored rocks actually mean something? Like every color represents a different quote from a founding father or important American. So when the note says to find out what your color means, they actually will find out. Then that quote can be tied to Ron Paul's message.

mdh
10-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Seriously though, it does teach us all a lesson about the danger of promoting sites/things we do not have control over. :(

LizF
10-07-2007, 12:42 AM

People spend an enormous amount of time trying not to be spammed, so for them to find this stuff lying in their driveway is not going to be a positive experience for them. They will think to themselves, "Why did they need to do this? Why did they try to trick me instead of just leaving information about this guy in the first place?"

Would Ron Paul employ this method to get his message out? I don't think so. Straight-forward and sincere is his delivery of choice for the message of freedom. If you truly believe that this method is more effective than slim jims, letters or real life conversations with your neighbors -- more power to you. But we should think long and hard about the image we're presenting people with about Ron Paul. Just my opinion.

I didn't read the original thread, but I think I found the website by using Google's cache feature: http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:Mr00uhUF_SUJ:ronpaulcentral.com/+ron+paul+central&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

I agree wholeheartedly with Hope. I think the time and money spent preparing and distributing these rocks would be better served passing out Slim Jims and speaking to people face to face about RP; writing LTE's, etc.

Moreover, the "throwing the rocks" aspect is bound to annoy homeowners (especially if something gets broken in the process--which may well happen since it was suggested that the distribution be done at night).

DeadheadForPaul
10-07-2007, 12:52 AM
thanks for the re-do

the people were being jerks to the ron paul central dude, but ron paul central was also being oversensitive. Since Ive been on the site, ive had multiple ideas shot down...thats part of the idea process

Taco John
10-07-2007, 01:06 AM
I think this is a great way to get the younger crowd exposed to Ron Paul's message. Go for it!

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 01:52 AM
He's not suggesting the younger crowd. He's suggesting the richer crowd on that page.

I think it is a terrible idea. I said it earlier and I will say it again, if I found one of those on my doorstep I would be highly suspicious. Who knows what the rock is or whether it is contaminated with something? It just takes one person receiving this to call the FBI and this whole thing would blow up in our faces. Does he not remember the anthrax scare? He might have used this as a marketing technique at a local level successfully years ago but nowadays this is simply a BAD IDEA.

Revolution9
10-07-2007, 02:05 AM
He's not suggesting the younger crowd. He's suggesting the richer crowd on that page.

I think it is a terrible idea. I said it earlier and I will say it again, if I found one of those on my doorstep I would be highly suspicious. Who knows what the rock is or whether it is contaminated with something? It just takes one person receiving this to call the FBI and this whole thing would blow up in our faces. Does he not remember the anthrax scare? He might have used this as a marketing technique at a local level successfully years ago but nowadays this is simply a BAD IDEA.

OK.. Let's get this scenario straight.. Someone..an idiot presumably..comes home or steps out of their door to find a colored rock in a plastic baggy with a note..similar to what maids throw in the driveways around here when scouring for work..a rock..a baggy and a business card with contact info..

After picking up said baggy idiot then phones the FBI who send a biohazard unit fully zootsuited to the max and the news crews from the major networks cover it. It is a giant comedy of errors with all kinds of brusque bloodhound faced offishuls citing the grave danger possibly faced in this post 911 era while lloking for a further crank skywards in the flaw reinforcement budget.. Then Alex Jones outs the whole shenanigans on hs website with a viral youtube video to boot of the cornerstone cops antics with Charlie Chaplin bijou piano. Bingo..Ron Paul IS President.

I dunno..sounds like a good idea to me.

best
Randy

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Even if that were to happen, some bad people might copy the rock campaign to do bad things. Believe me, I'm the last one to be a conspiracy theorist or suffer from security paranoia but it still would worry me.

Nowhere I have lived in my life do people throw bags with rocks on doorsteps as advertising. It might be a regional thing and be ok in some places but other places where it is not done it could really backfire. Yesterday I got an ad for rug cleaning, slipped under my door on a piece of paper. No one would be put off by that. It would be very suspicious to me to find a rock though.

mkrfctr
10-07-2007, 04:28 AM
A whacked out idea for a whacked out individual. Lets just leave it like that. Perhaps he can hand deliver them to people instead. Oh, wait, no, they probably don't allow you to have rocks in the Happy Homes for Happy People(tm) center...

McDermit
10-07-2007, 04:46 AM
its a cheap technique used to trick people into buying shit they never wanted in the first place. It's spammy and scammy in the business world, and inappropriate and ineffective in the political world.

How do you feel when you get those "scratch here to see if you've won flyersin the mail? You scratch it off, and win a 500 dollar gift certificate to some website. You check the site and find nothing but crap... And ALL of the crap has shipping and handling costs that are more than double the retail value of said crap. A few dummies might fall for it, but everyone else loses some respect for the business that sent them the crap... and they'll be less likely to read mail from that business in the future. Same can be applied here.

steph3n
10-07-2007, 05:09 AM
one may get shot for throwing ANYTHING similar to a rock into lawns in numerous places, but especially in the south.

You don't go throwing things in people's yards at random, nor at cars, that can result in death.

I recall a time when someone was throwing frozen seafood at people from a bridge, it almost took out some car windshields

RonFan1776
10-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Seriously though, it does teach us all a lesson about the danger of promoting sites/things we do not have control over. :(

That's one very good lesson to take out of this.

Nefertiti
10-07-2007, 05:38 AM
one may get shot for throwing ANYTHING similar to a rock into lawns in numerous places, but especially in the south.

You don't go throwing things in people's yards at random, nor at cars, that can result in death.

I recall a time when someone was throwing frozen seafood at people from a bridge, it almost took out some car windshields

Good points. I remember throwing a rock when I was 8 and hitting my babysitter's nephew on the head, and I wasn't even trying to hit him. Not to mention baggies with rocks in them could be viewed as littering as well.

GeorgiaRPFan
10-07-2007, 06:10 AM
While some may not have liked his idea, the result of all this is a perfect example of how we lose supporters with rude comments. How sad to see his RonPaulCentral site go from what it was to the "I am no longer a supporter" page it is now.

Bradley in DC
10-07-2007, 06:17 AM
While some may not have liked his idea, the result of all this is a perfect example of how we lose supporters with rude comments. How sad to see his RonPaulCentral site go from what it was to the "I am no longer a supporter" page it is now.

AMEN.

anewvoice
10-07-2007, 06:24 AM

I'll second that. Now we have to deal with our own blowback. Hopefully the exposure is now minimal.