PDA

View Full Version : Warm and rainy weather at winter games proves AGW

BenIsForRon
02-15-2010, 10:22 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/2048447,CST-SPT-morrissey15.stng

http://media.readersdigest.com.au/dynamic/94/48/82/Feb08AUMenLaughcrop.jpg

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Yes, it should be ignored that the games could have been held in a lot of unusual places with record snowfall across the USA :p Anytime it's warm, it proves Global Warming. Anytime it's cold, it proves Global Warming. Anytime things stay exactly the same, it proves Global Warming.

You have to admire their moxie!

pacelli
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
The globe will be warming significantly within the next few months. Matter of fact, it will be so warm that some humans will be forced to wear less clothing. Better prepare now!

AParadigmShift
02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Out in the Pacific Northwest, we suffer from a meteorological phenomenon known as El Nino which can, and has in the past, all but ruined outdoor winter activities.

Here's a snippet (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009443185_bluebox10m.html) from a local Seattle newspaper discussing the phenomenon back in July of 2009 and how it may impact the Vancouver Games :

Forecasters with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday the weather phenomenon is building in the Pacific Ocean. If it holds as expected, history shows El Nino will bring drier and warmer than normal weather to our region.

University of Washington Research Meteorologist Nick Bond says you "can see a large band of water that's one degree Celsius warmer than normal at this time of year." The band is predicted to last until February or March and through the time slated for Vancouver's Olympic Games.

Not only do we suffer from the sporadic effects of El Nino, but Vancouver proper, nestled in a most temperate clime, is the warmest city to ever host the games. So, using Vancouver's weather as empirical evidence in the support of "global warming" is sophistry at best.

For a more scientific explanation of exactly what El Nino is, see here:
YouTube - El Nino (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEoHz56jWGY)

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olympics/2048447,CST-SPT-morrissey15.stng

http://media.readersdigest.com.au/dynamic/94/48/82/Feb08AUMenLaughcrop.jpg

Ben, are you aware 49 of the 50 US States have received snowfall, and many received above average rates of snowfall this winter? Moreover, winter temperatures have been significantly colder than in many years past. Of course you haven't. You still believe in the religion -- AGW.

BenIsForRon
02-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Ben, are you aware 49 of the 50 US States have received snowfall, and many received above average rates of snowfall this winter? Moreover, winter temperatures have been significantly colder than in many years past. Of course you haven't. You still believe in the religion -- AGW.

Are you aware that I'm making fun of all the threads claiming a cold winter disproves AGW?

Of course you're not. You would have to stop watching freedomainradio and interact with real people for a day to understand sarcasm.

Austrian Econ Disciple
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Are you aware that I'm making fun of all the threads claiming a cold winter disproves AGW?

Of course you're not. You would have to stop watching freedomainradio and interact with real people for a day to understand sarcasm.

Underlined: Internet
Bolded: Internet

Response: Laugh.

fisharmor
02-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, for Pete's sake, man, it snowed this last weekend in ATLANTA, BIRMINGHAM, and MONTOGMERY.

For every AGW apology piece, I can find one that makes the point that civilization can't exist without central banking. The fact that the religion has members doesn't make it true.

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 11:15 AM

+1
My area of louisiana is in the subtropics.
we average one snow event every ten years for less than an inch of snow as it melts immediately.
Last year we had two snow events for a total of 2 inches, this year we are three snow events for a total of 6 inches of snow in the subtropics.
plus, the temps are way below normal.
of course, they would say the severe winters are due to global warming too.

and- the year of katrina/rita they claim that we'd see 100 huricane summers because of global warming. since katrina, there have been very few huricanes,
I guess the lack of huricanes is also because of global warming.

BenIsForRon
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
+1
My area of louisiana is in the subtropics.
we average one snow event every ten years for less than an inch of snow as it melts immediately.
Last year we had two snow events for a total of 2 inches, this year we are three snow events for a total of 6 inches of snow in the subtropics.
plus, the temps are way below normal.
of course, they would say the severe winters are due to global warming too.

and- the year of katrina/rita they claim that we'd see 100 huricane summers because of global warming. since katrina, there have been very few huricanes,
I guess the lack of huricanes is also because of global warming.

But torchbearer, I don't know what to believe!

There is cold weather in traditionally warm areas and warm weather in traditionally cold areas! How do I know what talking points I'm supposed to parrot!?

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 11:23 AM
But torchbearer, I don't know what to believe!

There is cold weather in traditionally warm areas and warm weather in traditionally cold areas! I don't know what talking points I'm supposed to parrot!

if i had a choice, i'd rather global warming than global cooling.
every mass extinction on this planet came at the beginning of a global cooling event.
life dies when the earth cools, life thrives when it warms.
the planet naturally flows back and forth in climate as it is not a static system but a fluid one.

jmdrake
02-15-2010, 11:38 AM

Single data points don't prove trends. That said, nothing is as asinine as the AGW folks trying to claim that the record snowfall was caused by global warming. And over the past couple of years as I've tried to point out to my friends who have still been taken in by the AGW hoax about how global average temperatures actually dropped the last couple of years, they would retort with the "Well we haven't had snow in Nashville in a while and we used to". So your side has relied on single data points in the past and so has mine. Now let's look at the science. Temperatures on Mars have risen and fallen the same time temperatures on earth did. There are no SUVs on Mars. Case closed.

fisharmor
02-15-2010, 12:35 PM
STemperatures on Mars have risen and fallen the same time temperatures on earth did. There are no SUVs on Mars. Case closed.

This made me chuckle... do you have a source for this? I'm sure the sand would shift under our feet again, and the argument would be "well we gotta do what we can to stop it regardless of how it got started", but I'd like to be able to shove this in some faces nonetheless.

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
This made me chuckle... do you have a source for this? I'm sure the sand would shift under our feet again, and the argument would be "well we gotta do what we can to stop it regardless of how it got started", but I'd like to be able to shove this in some faces nonetheless.

I've also heard this information, though I'm no more helpful in providing a source. I'm not sure if it's going on for other planets, otherwise we may see an argument along the lines of "earth is contaminating its neighboring planets!" in the future, no matter how ridiculous that would be.

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM

national geographic with sources: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

edit: something from nasa: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/07aug_southpole.htm

Dr.3D
02-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Boy, it's a good thing global warming causes it to snow more. All of that snow on the ground will reflect a lot of that heat back out into space and perhaps stop the warming that hasn't been happening in the past five years.

paulitics
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Dude, the global warming alarmists are the ones who make a claim everytime it rains, snows, or someone farts. There were more MSM articles about the blizzard being a result of global warming instead of vice versa. You try and have it both ways.

The burden of proof lies on you. For years, we were told that England wouldn't snow again, that the mid atlantic states would never see a winter like in years past. Of course people are going to shove it the alarmists faces when their predictions don't come true.

The difference is those who are posting threads about the recent snows and colds, attribute it to natural cycles, while the alarmists like to think man controls the weather. It's apples and oranges.

How about this. We agree that any change in the climate has nothing to do with MANN made hockey stick disproven global warming, and these inane threads about how it won't be the end of the world will cease. As soon as you guys stop posting tripe, then so will the more rational thinkers. Make sense?

jmdrake
02-15-2010, 12:47 PM

From 2007:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

This is the information that cured me of my AGW hysteria. Note the straw men other "scientists" put up in rebuttal. 1) "He doesn't believe the IPCC so he can't be right". And 2) "He ignores the fact that earth has an atmosphere". We can easily dismiss straw man #1 now that the IPCC has been shown twice to be a fraud. (ClimateGate and HimalayanGate). On straw man #2, you need to look a bit more at the numbers and realize that water vapor is the overwhelming gas for moderating the atmosphere.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

Saying human activities contribute to global warming is like saying some kid doing a cannonball off a sailboat contributed to the 2004 tsunami.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Yes, it should be ignored that the games could have been held in a lot of unusual places with record snowfall across the USA :p Anytime it's warm, it proves Global Warming. Anytime it's cold, it proves Global Warming. Anytime things stay exactly the same, it proves Global Warming.

You have to admire their moxie!

The best a proof can be is substantiation. Aristotle used experiments to prove his theories. When finished, he proved that the moon weighs less than the earth, the sun weighs less than the moon. He proved that comets travel in the Earth's atmosphere along with the clouds. He proved that by natural motion all things travel around other things, while, if they are heavier than the earth and are traveling by violent motion they will fall towards the center of the earth.
Of course, the Greek rationalists thought that the number zero was ridiculous. How can there be a number that didn't equal anything? Likewise, they thought the notion of infinity as also absurd. Irrational numbers? Imaginary numbers? No way!
Science is no longer in charge. Popular opinion is now following after the chaos created by very sophisticated wizards.

devil21
02-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Vancouver isn't a particularly cold and snowy place overall. It's much closer to Seattle's climate than other parts of Canada. Just more global warming nonsense that preys on the ignorance of the masses.

BenIsForRon
02-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Go ahead and read the Nat Geo article, everyone else obviously didn't, because the article rejects the hypothesis on the second page. The author of the referenced paper doesn't believe in the greenhouse effect, which has been proven again and again over the past century.

Also, the article states that warming on Mars is most likely attributed to its wobble, not solar irradiation. Because Mars has no large moon, it can wobble to a greater degree than earth, and its ice caps get more direct solar exposure.

torchbearer
02-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Go ahead and read the Nat Geo article, everyone else obviously didn't, because the article rejects the hypothesis on the second page. The author of the referenced paper doesn't believe in the greenhouse effect, which has been proven again and again over the past century.

Also, the article states that warming on Mars is most likely attributed to its wobble, not solar irradiation. Because Mars has no large moon, it can wobble to a greater degree than earth, and its ice caps and get more direct solar exposure.

but mars is not wobbling right now. that is the point. NG is big time pro-AGW. they had to address it and dismiss it.
the one thing they omit is that mars has not changed its alignment. it just makes the case that such has happened in the past.

jmdrake
02-15-2010, 05:49 PM

:rolleyes: Don't be an idiot. I referred the second page of the article when I talked about "straw men". Water is the major gas that regulates the climate. The effect of CO2 (especially human generated CO2) is so minimal that it's laughable.

Also, the article states that warming on Mars is most likely attributed to its wobble, not solar irradiation. Because Mars has no large moon, it can wobble to a greater degree than earth, and its ice caps get more direct solar exposure.

Any excuse will do. The "scientists" who attributed Mars' warming to the "wobble" were also still enthralled by the now disgraced IPCC. Jupiter has large moons. Jupiter was also warming. So was Pluto.

See: http://www.livescience.com/environment/070312_solarsys_warming.html

At some point you have to ask yourself "what is the common denominator".

MelissaWV
02-15-2010, 06:02 PM
The embattled ex-head of the research center at the heart of the Climate-gate scandal dropped a bombshell over the weekend, admitting in an interview with the BBC that there has been no global warming over the past 15 years.

Phil Jones, former head of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, made a number of eye-popping statements to the BBC's climate reporter on Sunday. Data from CRU, where Jones was the chief scientist, is key evidence behind the claim that the growth of cities (which are warmer than countryside) isn't a factor in global warming and was cited by the U.N.'s climate science body to bolster statements about rapid global warming in recent decades.

Jones also allowed for the possibility that the world as a whole was warmer in medieval times than it is today -- a concession that may also undermine theories that global warming is caused by man.

Oops.

payme_rick
02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Ben, are you aware 49 of the 50 US States have received snowfall, AGW.

Actually, the warming is worse than that... I believe Friday 49 out of 50 states had snow on the ground at the same time... they searched and searched the top of a 13k ft. Volcano in Hawaii that usually has snow, but were unable to find any... I believe the article I read said 2/3 of the US had at least a dusting of snow at that time...